General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcylces save gas is a myth

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 09:24 AM
97FXSTSB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Motorcylces save gas is a myth

ORIGINAL: carpetride

you think you're burning to much gas?.......try taking out a 25 ft. grady white with twin 200 hp mercurys for the day.[sm=smiley5.gif]
must be costing a small fortune! i had a cabo back when gas was in the 1.90s and it still tapped my bank acct. after filling up a boat, everything else on wheels is cheap!

Old 08-26-2007, 09:25 AM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: spike95

thrillseeker, you put a Chevy engine in your Ford???
no. Its a 7.5 liter. I just assumed 454.. I'm not hip to all the CI variations between the different manufacturers.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:42 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

My cage is an Avalanche, 15 MPG, RK is getting 42 right now I figure I am saving $200-300 a month on average commuting to work in Miami (28 mi one way), a little more dangerous with all the new arrivals here but worth the risk. Funny you mention burning calories, returned to riding after a long break in Feb 06, I have lost 30 pounds. I dont drink any beer when I ride, dont even stop for food if I can help it. Do a fair amount of adventure riding on the KLR which is a very good workout. Not to mention the hours of cleaning and maintaining the bikes and ATV's in the hot Fla sun. Strange thing is that on weekends I am waking up at 4 am to go for a cool ride by myself, get home when the family is waking up so it is cutting into my sleep a little, aside from that this has been a win win all around.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:57 PM
spike95
Road Master

no prob thrillseeker, I'm not too savvy on the metric stuff myself so I would have been confused were the tables turned. That engine should be a 460 if I'm not mistaken. That was Ford's standard big block enginefor a longtime.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:16 PM
Twolf
Road Master

ORIGINAL: beary

Yes, it is true. I nearly had to sell my soul to convience my wife I needed a Road King. I came up with several really good excuses, ummm logical reasons for the bike, one being we would save on gas. I would have come up with even more excuses, ummm logical reasons if my knees didn't get so sore.

Anyway, it's not true. Motorcycles don't save on gas. Let me explain. I ride the RK to work to save money, but then I dream about riding all morning and find myself riding around during lunch. Yes, using extra gas. I used to mow the lawn or work in the yard after supper, but now! You guessed it, I can't wait to jump on the bike to run down Highway 66 for a few miles or just find a empty parking space to practice slow U Turns. Hey this serious, those few miles add up to more gas. On weekends I look for breakfast anywhere at least an hour away. Do you know how much gas a Road King burns just to get breakfast? And when I hurry back so I can finally mow the lawn, my wife ask me to run out and pick up a few things. Yes, even she will not allow me to save the gas. There is no way a motorcycle saves gas. Read My Fingers. "N" "O" "W" "A" "Y". It is a myth. And I should quit spreading it around. I can imagine the anger and loss of take home pay that has been caused by the myth.

However, I think if we all work together, we can stop this myth by simply not riding so much. I can see that it won't be easy because it takes at least 26 days to stop a habit. I suggest we start small. For me that means not going in the garage before bed to fire up the engine so the ringing in my ears from the Vance & Hines sing me to sleep. It is a big step, but it is either that or not taking the bike around the block to make sure the tires didn't go out-of-round during supper.

Maybe we need a 12 step program. The first step is admiting you have a problem.... Hi my name is Beary and yes, I have a Harley and love to ride it.

Whoops, I've got to go. My wife says we need milk and if I don't jump on that, one of the kids may volunteer. Laaateerrr.

Beary
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 08-26-2007, 03:21 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bikes help people to save/maintain their sanity. Try to put a price on that.

[/align]

Old 08-26-2007, 06:30 PM
bosnmate
Banned

ORIGINAL: goodbirds

I go further on a tank of gas, but then I go further. And more often. My Quicken tells me I have spent $525 for motorcycle gas, and $925 for the car so far this year.The car gets 23 mpg and the bike (the02 anyway) gets 37. Of course there is the disparity in cost per gallon 'cause the car uses 85/87 and the bike 91.

But when you put it on a passenger/mile basis, the car, which seats five gets 115 passenger miles per gallon, and the bike which seats two gets 74 passenger miles per gallon. So if 3.2 people go somewhere in the car, it equals the bike's efficiency. But if each vehicle is driven solo, the bike is more efficient. Like in commuting.
You're an accountant aren't you?? That sounds like something my wife would figure out and she is an accountant.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:42 PM
Fun Rider 05
Cruiser

I can drive my truck to work in 2 min
I can walk to work in 15 min
It takes me 30-45 min if I RIDE

Old 08-26-2007, 07:16 PM
INDEPENDENTBIKEWORKS
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, My big VTwin avereges 40mpg.
My 87 GMC 1 Ton 4x4 with the 454 gets 7.
So if I drove the pickup everywhere I ride the bike , then yes, I am saving gas.
And tires for a 4x4 aint cheap either, and they dont last much longer than a bike tire either.
So I still say Im saving gas.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:44 PM
cadillac
Road Master

ok guys here it is. THE trick. Its pure simple economics. $$$$$ only. My truck alone gets 20 mpg. My truck with a trailer and a bike on it gets 13 mpg. My Dyna gets 40 mpg. Heres the kicker guys.. pay attention. we drive same amount of miles truck gettin 20 with the campin gear and the old lady driving. Im on the Harley gettin 40 mpg. those 2 gotta avg 30 mpg so we are savin tons of money with us drivin seperately. no way to dispute math!

boob

Quick Reply: Motorcylces save gas is a myth