General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy older Harley’s with no OEM parts support?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2023, 12:42 PM
gamble71
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 29,431 Likes on 9,756 Posts

Originally Posted by QC
There are also better quality aftermarket support for the early 2000’s bikes. I have an ‘04 Softail with over 50,000 miles on it that hasn’t given me one lick of trouble over the 12 years I’ve owned it.
I bought my 02 HS with 58k on it. Couple gear driven cams and she's bulletproof. I know because I did the same thing to Black Betty and 48k miles later, she runs like new

The following users liked this post:
Stiggy (09-10-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 03:22 PM
s-glide76
Road Master
Received 1,089 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
Is that maroon Road King a 95?

That's pre Road Kings. 1990 FLHS, Electra Glide Sport with the big panel for gauges on the front end.

Old 09-09-2023, 06:01 PM
blown alcohol
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Well, here is the reason

I have a 2013 CVO ultra that is having intermittent starting problems. I could not figure it out. Sometimes I could turn the switch and it would fire right up. At other times my fuel pump would struggle to run, or the radio would not some on. All wiring handle bars is stock, and nothing done to bike last few years.
It does have a built 110 and Doc in Florida tuned with a TTS. Everything else is stock.

My dealer came and picked bike up and ran tests. The problem is a bad ECM. No dealer around me has one. They are back ordered until end of Nov. My guess is this will become an obsolete part.

Last edited by blown alcohol; 09-09-2023 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-09-2023, 10:09 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,323 Likes on 1,449 Posts

Originally Posted by blown alcohol
Well, here is the reason

I have a 2013 CVO ultra that is having intermittent starting problems. I could not figure it out. Sometimes I could turn the switch and it would fire right up. At other times my fuel pump would struggle to run, or the radio would not some on. All wiring handle bars is stock, and nothing done to bike last few years.
It does have a built 110 and Doc in Florida tuned with a TTS. Everything else is stock.

My dealer came and picked bike up and ran tests. The problem is a bad ECM. No dealer around me has one. They are back ordered until end of Nov. My guess is this will become an obsolete part.
My guess would be that it's a supply chain problem. If a manufacturer lets its bikes ECMs become No Longer Available, that bike becomes instant scrap metal or salvage parts. That would be the end of the MoCo's "heritage".

Old 09-09-2023, 10:34 PM
blown alcohol
Road Captain

Originally Posted by RK4ME
My guess would be that it's a supply chain problem. If a manufacturer lets its bikes ECMs become No Longer Available, that bike becomes instant scrap metal or salvage parts. That would be the end of the MoCo's "heritage".
I could buy a thunder max tuner and bypass the ECM. I do not want to do that because my bike runs great with the current tune from a TTS tuner.
A manufacture has to supply parts for 10 years, that's it. Well, my bike was built late 2012.
It is a very small % that has ECM failure. It will not be felt, unless it's your bike. Not many will be sold for parts bike because of a ECM. Also you can buy used ECM right now on ebay in unknown condition, but for price of new
Just because Harley has a backorder date of late Nov does not mean a thing. Guess what, when late Nov gets here they will move the backorder date to late Feb. Next April they will finally say it's an obsolete part.

Look at the 02-06 models with FI and fuel pumps. I have a friend that waited over a year for a OEM fuel pump to get back in stock. He went through 2 aftermarket pumps during this time. He is still waiting on it. They have moved the date several times now. Still backordered, still showing a ship date.
So, having a ship date does not mean A THING.
Same thing with the 2006 rotor. He wanted to upgrade his 03 ultra stator to the 3 phrase cycle electric kit. Cycle electric said they have everything in stock except the 06 rotor which is needed to upgrade his 03 ultra 2 phase charging system. CE is working on their own rotor to work with their 50 amp stator. They said the rotor in the drag book was no good and needed to find a OEM rotor for the 06 model year, or wait until they test their on rotor that's being manufactured.

Old 09-10-2023, 11:12 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,323 Likes on 1,449 Posts

^^^ Like I said, it looks like a supply chain problem. I don't know anything about HD's relationship with its suppliers but those relationships can become strained, and the suppliers have their own problems.
Can you actually bypass the ECM with a tuner? As far as I know, the tuner runs downstream of the ECM, not over it.

Old 09-10-2023, 11:16 AM
07UltraGuy
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 6,200 Likes on 2,238 Posts

^^^ Like I said, it looks like a supply chain problem. I don't know anything about HD's relationship with its suppliers but those relationships can become strained, and the suppliers have their own problems.
Can you actually bypass the ECM with a tuner? As far as I know, the tuner runs downstream of the ECM, not over it.
While many tuners are “piggy-back” add-ons, the Thundermax route is an actual replacement for the factory control unit.
It is priced accordingly.

The following users liked this post:
RK4ME (09-10-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 11:38 AM
downzero
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,049 Likes on 1,136 Posts

They discontinued the Sportster and their flagship models have radiators. Their CEO doesn't even ride. I think we're well on our way.

The following 2 users liked this post by downzero:
RK4ME (09-10-2023), Uncle G. (09-12-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 03:35 PM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,233 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by blown alcohol

Look at the 02-06 models with FI and fuel pumps. I have a friend that waited over a year for a OEM fuel pump to get back in stock. He went through 2 aftermarket pumps during
I am seriously thinking of carbing my 06

Old 09-10-2023, 03:43 PM
blown alcohol
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Jed Clampett
I am seriously thinking of carbing my 06

just go to Summit Racing or Jegs and buy the

Aeromotive Stealth Electric Fuel Pumps 11540

i would keep it fuel injected this pumps fits in stock fuel pump housing

The following 2 users liked this post by blown alcohol:
hellonewman (09-11-2023), Jed Clampett (09-10-2023)

Quick Reply: Would you buy older Harley’s with no OEM parts support?