General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider Insurance??

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007 | 02:53 PM
Hdbiker1450
Road Warrior
Default RE: New rider Insurance??

I am an insurance agent. In Missouri, uninsured coverage is mandatory. It will ONLY pay for injuries received as a result of an uninsured and solely at fault motorist. There is NO coverage for the bike!
Virginia may be different.

Old 08-22-2007 | 02:59 PM
michaelbarry
Banned

Check with Geico. I'm on my first bike as well, and i'm paying ~$433/year through them in a state that has outrageous insurance rates. (West Virginia)

Old 08-22-2007 | 03:06 PM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man

Liability covers you if you're sued.

Old 08-22-2007 | 03:08 PM
RoadRunR
|
Road Master

hey michaelbarry-got them on my list--thanks
nice looking FB-was it your 1st bike?

Thanks Ken..

Old 08-22-2007 | 03:18 PM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man

ORIGINAL: Hdbiker1450

I am an insurance agent. In Missouri, uninsured coverage is mandatory. It will ONLY pay for injuries received as a result of an uninsured and solely at fault motorist. There is NO coverage for the bike!
It seems that uninsured motorist coverage is much cheaper in states that mandate it. Here in FL I was quoted $1,800 for motorcycle insurance that included it. $202 without.

Old 08-22-2007 | 04:02 PM
warthawg
Tourer

Hdbiker, does uninsured coverage cover anything over and above what your medical insurance pays? I've heard that Medical Payments pays any deductable and the co-payments that your medical doesn't pick up (up to the amount of coverage). Seems like a lot of overlap with Medical insurance, Medical Payments and Uninsured motorist.

Old 08-23-2007 | 07:21 AM
raftgyde
Road Master

ORIGINAL: RoadRunR

I`m in Chesterfield Co,Va and been with allstate sinceI was seventeen,will take the safety course too-

Thought unisured motorist would be good to get with all the people on the road that have no insurance--to protect me--incase[:@]you know..

I think I will get my indorsement before I get anymore quotes-might look better
Since you're in Va., the Uninsured Motorist Insurance is mandatory. The amounts will be equal to your Bodily Injury and Property Damage (Liability) limits. The UMI runs around 1/4 to 1/3 what the Liability costs.

If you get Medical coverage, be sure to ask if it covers a passenger. I think you probably will see better rates once you get the big "M" If not, look at other companies.

I have my vehicles insured with GEICO but when I priced insurance for the bike, they were twice as high as Progressive. I went with Progressive at the time. It depends a lot on what state you live in. In WV, the opposite might be true. That's the way insurance runs. Nothing makes sense when it comes to rates, at least not to me. Best thing you can do is price around.

In Virginia, having every vehicle garaged at your house insured under one company may not be the best thing from a liability standpoint; at least that's according to Tom McGrath, THE Motorcyle Lawyer in Virginia.

Old 08-23-2007 | 07:35 AM
raftgyde
Road Master

Yeah, it's definitely different in VA Hdbiker1450. It's kinda like you're buying the liability insurance for the uninsured motorist. The UMI
mirrors the liability amounts you purchase for yourself. Uninsured motorists must pay an annual fee of $500.00 (Uninsured Motor Vehicle Fee) in addition to the fees for plates or no plate, no renewal stickers. Unfortunately, it only requires checking a box on the form saying you have insurance on the vehicle. I don't know that there is any check done at the time of registration/renewal.

Old 08-23-2007 | 09:35 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

ORIGINAL: ken thompson

If you have health insurance you don't need uninsured motorist as it only covers medical expenses.
Unless your health coverage doesn't cover motorcycle accidents...especially if you are lidless. Healthy insurance providers like to deny ANY claim these days, this is likely!

Underinsured/Uninsured isn't a required coverage here in Arizona, but it didn't add too much to the policy (either my cars or bike). Given the amount of people that are actually out on the road with NO insurance (and sadly, it's not just illegals!), it's a good thing to have.

Old 08-23-2007 | 09:59 AM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member

I'm in VA myself. All of my other insurance is through Allstate, so I gave them first crack at the bike coverage. I should have been sitting down when they gave me my quote. It was in the $1000 range. I went through Harley and got a full coverage policy through Progressive in the $400 range. My dad has the minimum coverage on his, and pays like $200 a year with Dairyland Ins.

Quick Reply: New rider Insurance??