General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider Insurance??

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007 | 11:22 AM
madelf
Tourer
Default RE: New rider Insurance??

I've got Progressive.
I think my wife and I both were paying not much over $300 a year for two bikes (not full coverage though) on our learner's permits. We got our licenses through the MSF course and bought two Harleys (one new, one two years old) with full coverage, and it stayed about the same. It went down some at the renewal, I think we're under $300 now. Went for higher than standard amounts on the liability & such too, though I don't know off the top of my head just what numberswe used.

I haven't had to make a claim, so I can't speak to that. I've never heard any horror stories about Progressive though.

Odd thing... if you've got aspouse going on the policy too,look intoa joint policy and individual policies both. And also have them rundifferent quotes for each person as the primary. With my wife as primary on a joint, it was going tocost more than buying two seperate policies, but with me as primary it was a lot cheaper than going seperate. Even the rep I was talking to couldn't figure out why, since all the data was the same, but it made a substantial difference how they ran the quotes.

Old 08-22-2007 | 11:24 AM
Kolni
Banned

$475 here with AAA and full coverage

Old 08-22-2007 | 11:28 AM
BrockRKC06
Cruiser

Just an FYI,

StateFarm will NOT pay medical if the accident is your fault for any motorcycle policy. Read your motorcylce policy carefully from StateFarm. Better have other health care coverage if you are on a StateFarm motorcycle policy.

Old 08-22-2007 | 12:16 PM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man

Dump the uninsured motorist coverage. I'll bet that's about $1,000 of the $1,200 quoted

Old 08-22-2007 | 12:26 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

Remember, it all depends on where you live when comparing insurance costs. Also your coverage limits and your credit score and on and on determine your cost. So unless you get comparisons from peoplein your exact zip code with someone who owns a similar bike, the other comparisonsare pretty much useless. I will have to say though that $1200 does seem high. I pay $400 a year through AARP Foremost here in the Phoenix area which has very high insurance rates. I don't carry uninsured or under insured coverage as that would double my insurance cost and I have good health insurance and that's all those two items cover anyway.

Old 08-22-2007 | 12:38 PM
madelf
Tourer

I'm pretty sure uninsured motorist coverage also covers damage to your bike if you're in an accident caused by someone who doesn't have liability coverage. I wouldn't be without it.It doesn't cost much at all on my policy either (but liability insurance is mandatory here. I imagine it's expensive in the crazy places where liability insurance is optional - or where therearehigh numbers of people driving illegally).

Old 08-22-2007 | 12:52 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member

I found my ins co to be high also, along with several others. partially determined by the area I live. Longer riding season, same on boats. So, I checked with harley and got quotes and Bike-Line.com. My insurance is very low, but I have many years of riding, no tickets, no wrecks, no losses, multi bikes, frequently take an advanced MSF course.

I suggest shopping around and a safety course and get your endorsement.

Old 08-22-2007 | 01:31 PM
RoadRunR
|
Road Master

Thanks for replys everyone

I`m in Chesterfield Co,Va and been with allstate sinceI was seventeen,will take the safety course too-

OH momentary Brain fart( old age I recon) I did have an M indorsement back in 74 but did`nt renew it(thank you Xwife[:@][:@][:@])-and did some riding in my teens and 20s so I do have some old experienceI guess.

Thought unisured motorist would be good to get with all the people on the road that have no insurance--to protect me--incase[:@]you know..

I will check out other companys too.

I think I will get my indorsement before I get anymore quotes-might look better

Old 08-22-2007 | 02:03 PM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man

If you have health insurance you don't need uninsured motorist as it only covers medical expenses.

Old 08-22-2007 | 02:43 PM
RoadRunR
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: ken thompson

If you have health insurance you don't need uninsured motorist as it only covers medical expenses.
Thanks Ken--my agent did`nt tell me that--I wonder why---Mo $$$--me thinks.

I have good health care insurance-

I was also thinking Uninsured ins would protect me if I was sued..

Quick Reply: New rider Insurance??