General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED SOME HELP I’M HANDICAPPED NOW

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 02:22 AM
mazzurco
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NEED SOME HELP I’M HANDICAPPED NOW

My wife and I where involved in an accident on 4/28/07 I lost my left leg above the knee and busted up my left hand with a little plastic surgery and therapy it’s almost back to normal. The leg is another story I have been fitted with a prosthetic C-leg (A trick piece of equipment) and starting to get up on it. My wife suffered a broken femur and tibia she is held together with rods and plates just because some guy used a little more of a mountain road than he was entitled to. Just clipped the corner of us it could have been really ugly. We thank God everyday we are on top of the soil not under it.

Well now I need some help getting back up on two wheels. I have read all over the net plus many other forums but just maybe I missed something. This forum is full of knowledge so I know that one of you may know something I don’t that will help get me up. Maybe this trick leg with the Klicktronic shifter will do it. I also have looked at the http://www.safetyfeatures.com/ they have some products that could work I will be talking to them.

Don’t want a hack or trike so any help you can give thanks in advance. My 06 Streetglide was a total would buy a new one in a minute if I was sure I could ride it. After another 3 months of therapy than I will know if I have enough strength and coordination to hold one up it still may be a bit scary even if I can hold it up. It’s going to be tough but bikers aren’t made of glass. RIGHT!

Old 08-22-2007, 02:34 AM
jblksmith1
Cruiser
Default RE: NEED SOME HELP I’M HANDICAPPED NOW

I'm so glad you are here with us looking to get back on a bike. I don't have any answers for you but hopefully somebody will read this and be able to offer some suggestions.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:35 AM
Silverearl
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a very good friend that has lost his right leg and that does not stop him. He does not ride but I know that if he wanted to he would not let the leg stop him. Now to you Mazzurco. I have seen somewhere that there is an electric shifter that can be mounted on the handlebars. I have also seen an automatic 5 and 6 speed. How they work I have not a clue. I am glad that you and your wife are above ground and still wanting to ride. That says alot of your joy for the wind in your face. I wish you luck in your coming trials and hope to get the chance to ride beside you one day.... Who knows where or when.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:02 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

mazzurco, a lot depends on the prosthesis attaching point. If it is below the knee, you might be able to hold the bike up steadily. I would go to a dealer and sit on a bike and see how it feels. One of the sales people would assist to make sure you don't accidently drop the bike. I take from your comment it is the left leg, pingle or kliktronics are good choices. each can also be installed with a intended misfire (ignition kill) that allows clutchless shifting. I would suggest using the electric units over air. There are landing wheel kits that are speed activated that help support at low speed and stop. Voyager makes a bolt on wheel kit making the bike look somewaht like a trike but with three rear tires. it is a little rough on the center tire, inducing more tire wear. A hack or a trike may end up being your best option. Don't knock either, you'll still be in the breeze. I have one bud that is a paraplegic with a hack and another amputee that rides a trike. Both bikes are equiped with pingle shifters and the para has proportioning valve for operating the front and rear brake off the right side hand lever. I rigged both bikes.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:41 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

There is guy that has ridden around the world twice on a Sportster that has both legs gone. He has written a book and does motovational speaking about his experiences. I am sure you could get a wealth of info from his book. As soon as I can find some info or remember his name I will post.

Bill

Old 08-22-2007, 06:45 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

The guy's name is Dave Barr, and thename of the book is "Riding the Edge".

Hope this helps.

Bill

Old 08-22-2007, 08:29 AM
YUCK
Road Warrior

If there's a will,,,,there's a way.....
Look at some tricks the custom builders came up with,,,,,Excile has a clutch setupthat works like a throttle,,,couple that wit a right side tank shift,,,,seen jocky shifts with a built in clutch lever,,,,how about a snowmobile variable pully setup,,wit a right side rear wheel drive......if ya need any fab work done,,,let me know,,,I'll donatesome time for the cause.....the biggy I see is the bike tippen left,,,,the controls can be adapted to what u feel comfortable with and works for u....I'm on board

Old 08-22-2007, 09:12 AM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear about the accedent and glad your still wanting to ride. I can't help with the shifter info but how about a sidecar?
I would have one if I had the extra cash. It would be easy/er to ride and it's way cooler then a trike.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:59 AM
ut_vols_fan
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish I could help Bro, but sounds like a custom build might be in your future. I am certain there are some folks out there that can manuf what you need to keep ya safe....

Old 08-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Chief X
Former Sponsor

Sorry to hear about your accident, and glad you are still with us! If we can do anything here at RoadLoK, let us know. We manufacture custom locking systems which are of no use to you for now, but we also have a lot of good contacts with many major companies.

Chief

Quick Reply: NEED SOME HELP I’M HANDICAPPED NOW