General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED SOME HELP I’M HANDICAPPED NOW

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 08:00 AM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEED SOME HELP I’M HANDICAPPED NOW

mazzurco,
A real good friend and riding buddie of mine is a right leg amputee (above the knee) and he rides a non modified Electra Glide Classic. He has done so for quite a number of years.

I am not going to tell you that it is no biggie, because it has its challanges. Mike (my buddy) has dropped that glide more times than been counted.
Just the nature of the beast for him.
Not crashed it, just dropped it. He can support it with his prothtessis, but there are times that the surface he is stopping on just plain doesn't co-operate. So we pick the bike up, and roll on.

Once he's rolling, anyone would be hardpressed to know he had a problem leg.

Now his situation is alot different than yours in it is his right leg. he can operate the rear brake, but it is "iffy" so he has adapted to using his front brakesbetter. (we have talked about doing a porportional valve for his brakes, but he blows us off on the idea)He's also adapted his riding style to leave himself more room when doing things.

And to let you know his capabilities on riding, he lives just east of State College PA and just did Sturgis this year. Out and back on his bike, a total of 4900 miles in 10 days.

Just this year he started talking about getting a hack, but he tried one of our buddies bike and hack, and had a real hard time getting his bum leg inside the framework to the footboards. (it just doesn't bend right to get in thier easily), so his overall plan now is going to a trike.

This plan is not because of his handicap, because he still ridesnow, but he wants his wife with him, and knows two up is just too much for the what he rides now.

So hang in there, get strong, and give it a try. Once you figure out how to support the bike, the mechanicals can be worked out so you can ride it.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:00 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mazz, I am very glad to hear you're healing and even more that you're still interested in riding. I am blown away with the response to your initial post, all I can say is Amazing! There is a lot of good information here along with offers of contacting specialty suppliers or working up something on their own dime.

If this doesn't confirm the "brotherhood" aspect of riding a bike, nothing will. God's speed for a recovery and getting back up on 2 wheels.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:37 AM
mazzurco
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just want to thank all of you for your positive responses, suggestions and kind thoughts. You REALLY don’t know how much it means to me and my wife to have this kind of support. I will keep you posted as to our progress. I hope someday to meet at least some of you if not all of you. If by chance any of you are ever passing through the San Francisco Bay area please give me a shout we’ll get together for something hopefully at least a ride and good time.
You guy’s are true men and great bros and I’m proud to be one of you.[/i]

Old 08-28-2007, 07:34 AM
sugarbear
Road Master

My neighbor lost his left leg in an accident and rides a choper he built with no modifications. I know with your will power you can do anything you want. So don't give up on a regular bike yet. I met a guy in Virginia this summer with one arm he had been across the United states twice in that condition. So hang in there anything is possible

Old 08-28-2007, 11:55 AM
SiLlY
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO-28A07_QM

Old 08-28-2007, 11:57 AM
doggiedave
Road Master

Get well soon and more power to Ya !!