General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED SOME HELP I’M HANDICAPPED NOW

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 01:44 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: NEED SOME HELP I’M HANDICAPPED NOW

Hang in there, buddy. I've got a daughter who has been in a wheelchair for over 4 years, and it don't look like she'll get out any time soon. She has Reflex Sympathy Dystrophy, which causes extreme pain in the affected limps. Right now it's just her left side (arm and leg) and has only just now started spreading to the right side. I know what it's like to see you kid get struck down and I know how hard it is help someone who has been struck down. Find yourself a support system --- this type of stuff can help --- and keep plugging away at it ... even when it seems hopeless.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:08 AM
hondaherb
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mazz, things like this make us proud to be bikers, where else would people try so hard to help a fellow rider get back in their sport and back in the wind. You might consider changing the kick stand to the right side so you won't have to lift the bike with your bad leg or a ride-off stand. A friend of ours had a Goldwing that several of the other wingers in our area changed the shifter to the right side so he could keep riding. Good luck with your recooperating...hope you are in the wind again soon. Herb

Old 08-23-2007, 10:03 AM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I almost lost my left leg just below the knee ten years ago. Things were hard enough for me mentally, I couldn't imagine losing my leg. I remember when I tried on some engineer boots in a store and couldn't get my left leg in the boot because it wasn't limber enough yet. I almost cried. Your story makes me feel like a chump. I applaud your drive.

Pingel makes an electric shift set up that you can mount to your left hand grip. You could even wire the button so that it's where your turn signal is. Then on your right turn signal, you can make that switch operate either signal like some metric bikes do. The new clutches are so easy to operate, you might be able to get by.

The leg issue is another story. You may have to go with a trike. It really depends on the strength of your leg. I'd be more than happy to let you try to stand up my EG with no help from me. If you drop it, it's just a bike! Maybe you could find a helpful sales person that will take you and a bike out back and let you try to stand it up without letting you drop it.

Good luck man. Please keep us posted!

Mike

Old 08-23-2007, 02:54 PM
Snydcat
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I lost my right leg just below the knee when I was 11 yrs.old and have no problems at all riding and holding my bike up. Like others have said if you want to ride bad enough you will find a way. Good Luck![sm=biker.gif]

Old 08-23-2007, 09:41 PM
HuronBob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mazzurco,

best of luck to you as you search for resources and ideas to help you reach your goals....

and for those of you willing to help.. you're all good people.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:02 PM
michaelbarry
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mazz, you my man..are a biker. I don't have any suggestions other than what the guy's have already said. Hope to see you in the wind soon brother!

Old 08-23-2007, 10:04 PM
Matrix
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

I know a man that has a prosthetic leg that rides a Goldwing. The next time I see him I will see what leg he has lost and PM you with the details of how he still rides. Sorry to hear about your accident, but I commend you for your eagerness and determination to ride again. you have heat Bro and I admire you for that.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:09 AM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Sorry to hear about your accident. Check out a Voyager Conversion Kit. Attaches to the frame of your bike....I have one installed on my '06 EGC. So, you would have four wheels on the ground. Less expensive than going the trike route. Got hit by a car last September, shattered my left wrist and have a metal plate now. Fingers don't want to bend proper, but have just enuf strength to pull in the clutch. Don't have the ability to hold up the bike on two wheels. Thank goodness there's options out there for us. Continued success and get back out there and ride!

Old 08-24-2007, 01:02 AM
mazzurco
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: YUCK

Just google'd Dave Barr.... WOW

Gary,,, what bike do u want to try first,,,I'm thinking old sportster wit the shifter on the right side and maybe run front and rear brakes off the front lever......would be a very easy mod.....if the clutch is to hard on your hand (at first) we can mousetrap it......

Tell me more about this trick C-leg......
Yuck,

I want to ride the same bike I had previously which was a 06 Street Glide being that mine was totaled I will buy a 08 and install a Kiltronic shifter. As far as the clutch goes my hand strength is coming back and the hand therapists say’s I will regain all of my strength in time. So no problem on the clutch. I think at this time my biggest concern is holding up the bike on the left side. I here it can be done and if it can I will be ridding in about 3 months. I have had my C-leg 1 month today my therapist for my leg say’s I’m doing great for just a month. I see her 3 times a week than there is my prosthetic guy who is just a good dude you know they are not MD’s just have to have a license which I think is like a 4 year school. Wade comes from a family of prosthesis, his grandfather was in the business and Wade would help him when he was a kid. Now Wade’s brother is prosthesis as well but does prosthetic arms not legs. I was real lucky to find this guy I actually started with someone else but it didn’t feel right I am a pretty good judge of character and something just didn’t feel right so I pulled the plug and found Wade through C-legs web site. If Wade didn’t work out I would have been into San Francisco which would have been an all day deal thank god he’s the man.

I got plenty of bro’s with bikes like I could round up 10 in an hour or so. They will be spotters when I get ready to ride. Living in the SF Bay area we dam near can ride all year. I try to stay off the road if I know there is a storm pushing through when it clears we ride.
I actually live on the coast between Monterey & Santa Cruz. Lot’s of good ridding in the mountains & on the coast as well. Hope we can ride together someday someplace.

As for the C- Leg it is state of the art because it has a micro processor in it you might say it kind of bionic. For instance the knee is hydraulic like most other legs but it can be programmed. What it does is open and close the valves to adjust the action on the leg you know different strokes for different folks. The leg come with a key fob that can be set to do different things such as hinge the knee so you can ride a conventional bike or if I figure out where I want it to lock in order to hold my bike up it can be put in that mode. It also gets a read from the foot and tells the knee if you are going down the hill or up the hill and tells the knee how to react. Many our guy’s that come back form Iraq are fitted with this leg. I understand many come back missing both legs and still learn to walk on this leg. I can’t image. If you want to know more about this C-leg just Google it. Hey sorry for running of at the jaw here but I certainly do appreciate all the input from you guys and will keep you posted.

I miss ridding my bike!

Old 08-24-2007, 06:50 AM
YUCK
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like u got a solid plan....the will to get on that 08 coupled wit 10 broswill speed your recovery,,I'll lay money on u,,, riding to theapry befor long....speedy recovery to U and u'r wife.....welcome to HDForums hope to see u around in here......8's

Quick Reply: NEED SOME HELP I’M HANDICAPPED NOW