General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

military pins on vest??

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 02:07 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts
Default RE: military pins on vest??

You can buy pin keepers that use a metal sleeve with a set screw. They work great.

Last week I walked into a bar and some guy asks me where I stole the 101st Airborne patch that's on the right chest of my vest. I gave him the coldest dead stare for about a minute. He started stuttering and apologizing up and down like his life depended on it. I asked him to show me his patch. He said he didn't have one and moved to the other end of the bar. He left shortly after. Dumbass.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:34 PM
bosnmate
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have access to a Navy Exchange get the patch there and sew it on. You can use your dolphins pin as well, just be advised that pins don't necessarily hold up well on leather. Try looking at Soldier City on the web as well. They carry all sorts of patches and uniform stuff.

What I did, is have my cross anchors and ESWS tattooed on my upper right arm. But, you know us Bosnmates and our tattoos.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:39 PM
bosnmate
Banned

ORIGINAL: ROLLNTIGER

I could be wrong but as long as you earned it I don't see anyone hasseling you about it. It's the one's sporting SEAL trident's or Ranger tabsand such, that I wonder about. While I was in Dallas last week I saw a car with "Congressional Medal of Honor" tags. I was curious about itso I googled CMH winners and to my surprise I found that there are some people that try to pass themselves off as a CMHawardee.
Yes they do and they need to be summarily executed for it too. But, if somebody has a CMH License plate it is for real at least in Georgia it is. You have to prove to the tag office that you earned it before they will give you one. Now, the person who is actually driving the car at the time may not be the person who the car is lisenced to and hence not the CMH recipient.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:54 PM
bosnmate
Banned

ORIGINAL: TxHarleyGuy2007

ORIGINAL: Tripper

If you earned it wear it, proudly. Many people that have not earned military patches wear them on vests etc. [:@]
At the risk of being torn up one side and down the other by the vets here......

First, let me state that I've nothing but the utmost respect for veterans; both past and present.

Here is what I had done. My father was a decorated WWII Army Captain. I had taken a few of the patches that I was able to salvage from one of his WWII Uniforms and had them sewn on one of my riding vests on the lower front side. In the center of the patches I had an 'In Memory of' patch made with his name, rank, years and branch of service on it. The memorial patch is surrounded by some of my dad's 'earned' WWII patches. It's a tribute to my late father. No, I didn't earn the patches. And no, I don't go around telling folks that I did. It's in honor of my father. A tribute. And I can't tell you how many ol' timer's I've met as a result of having said memorium on one of my vests. By wearing such, I hope no veteran out there takes offense or sees this as a sign of disrespect. That's not the intention.
I think that is absolutely great and if I were to see your vest I would definately ask for the story. I'm sure it would be interesting and as a decorated vet myself, I take this as a tribute and honor to your father and all veterans and not as a disrespectfull thing at all.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:00 PM
bosnmate
Banned

ORIGINAL: 100thRK

ORIGINAL: hartick

im fresh out of the navy and cant find a submarine patch for my vest. is there any rules about wearing my sub pin on my vest?? i have already put my subs patch on the right chest area, just like the uniform had.

or if anyone knows where to find a smaller submarines patch that would be great. i have looked for the past 2 years and cant find one at any rallies i have been to.
I am a retired MMCM(SS) and I wear a sub pin and my MCPO collar devices proudly on my vest. Nothing like walking down the street in Sturgis and have a stranger say "Hello Master Chief"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You know Master Chief even after being out of the Navy for 10 years and belonging to the American Legion I still can't call an E9 by their first name!!! In my post there are two Sgt. Majors, one Senior Chief and one Master Chief all retired now and have been for quite sometime. But when I walk into the post I call them what I called them in the Navy. Either Senior or Master Chief or Sgt. Major, the few times I called them by their first names I felt as though I was about to get my a$$ chewed, kind of that sinking feeling you get while standing on the deck of the ship calling Master Chief by his first name. As you can tell, I made that mistake one time while in the Navy, only once.

If I saw you and your vest, I too would greet you as Master Chief, even if we became best friends I would still call you Master Chief.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:49 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: mhendo

ORIGINAL: TxHarleyGuy2007
There is a form that can be filled out and mailed to Washington whereby you can receive EVERY pin, patch, medal you've ever earned or that of a loved one who served as well.
Hey TxHarley, would you happen to remember what that form is?
Absolutely. The link below is to the national military archives. On the page, you will find the instructions and addresses necessary to correspond in order to receive past medals, etc. All dependent upon which brand of service, etc. I went this same route with my father and can tell you from first hand experience that they are responsive and that you will ultimately receive everything that is reflected on said individuals service record. Good luck to you.

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/mil...nt-medals.html

Old 08-22-2007, 04:22 PM
anacharis
Banned

Isn't there one like with a man's head and bubbles in it? HEE hee

Old 08-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Try this site for patches
http://www.priorservice.com/navypatches.html

Old 08-22-2007, 05:59 PM
LowRyder
Cruiser

TxHarleyGuy2007, nice that you volunteer for some great causes. My cause is veterans health care and DAV's. Being one myself (DAV) I know how hard it is to get medical care and the proper disability rating.

I wear a few military patches/pins on my vest and worry about loosing the pins. I almost lost one the other day. Unfortunately there are many out there who never served but are posers. They should get a one way ticket to Iraq.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:09 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: LowRyder

TxHarleyGuy2007, nice that you volunteer for some great causes. My cause is veterans health care and DAV's. Being one myself (DAV) I know how hard it is to get medical care and the proper disability rating.
Boy, do I know all too well the difficulties many veterans are faced with in regard to both getting the proper medical assistance and disability ratings. Sadly, most are denied any disability benefits the first few times out and only until they secure an attorney or a staunch advocate elsewhere are their cases heard with any merit. Been there, done that with my father. After years of dealing with the VA and the hosptials therein, I served in an advisory board member capacity at a VA Hospital here in Central Texas forsome 8years. It killed me every time I heard stories from vets telling me how difficult it was to get any help whatsoever. Although I never served, I made it a point to ALWAYS honor my father's service to this countryand to do whatever both my company and myself personally could do to honor and serve (return the favor)this nation's service men and women.

Quick Reply: military pins on vest??