General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

military pins on vest??

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 12:07 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: military pins on vest??

ORIGINAL: TxHarleyGuy2007

ORIGINAL: Tripper

If you earned it wear it, proudly. Many people that have not earned military patches wear them on vests etc. [:@]
At the risk of being torn up one side and down the other by the vets here......

First, let me state that I've nothing but the utmost respect for veterans; both past and present.

Here is what I had done. My father was a decorated WWII Army Captain. I had taken a few of the patches that I was able to salvage from one of his WWII Uniforms and had them sewn on one of my riding vests on the lower front side. In the center of the patches I had an 'In Memory of' patch made with his name, rank, years and branch of service on it. The memorial patch is surrounded by some of my dad's 'earned' WWII patches. It's a tribute to my late father. No, I didn't earn the patches. And no, I don't go around telling folks that I did. It's in honor of my father. A tribute. And I can't tell you how many ol' timer's I've met as a result of having said memorium on one of my vests. By wearing such, I hope no veteran out there takes offense or sees this as a sign of disrespect. That's not the intention.
Your father earned them; wear them proudly in his honour.[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 08-22-2007, 12:15 AM
Pablo22
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tripper

If you earned it wear it, proudly. Many people that have not earned military patches wear them on vests etc. [:@]

First, let me state that I've nothing but the utmost respect for veterans; both past and present.

Here is what I had done. My father was a decorated WWII Army Captain. I had taken a few of the patches that I was able to salvage from one of his WWII Uniforms and had them sewn on one of my riding vests on the lower front side. In the center of the patches I had an 'In Memory of' patch made with his name, rank, years and branch of service on it. The memorial patch is surrounded by some of my dad's 'earned' WWII patches. It's a tribute to my late father. No, I didn't earn the patches. And no, I don't go around telling folks that I did. It's in honor of my father. A tribute. And I can't tell you how many ol' timer's I've met as a result of having said memorium on one of my vests. By wearing such, I hope no veteran out there takes offense or sees this as a sign of disrespect. That's not the intention.
I can only hope that my Sons think enough of me to want to honor me in the same way when I am gone. The most important thing for us ALL to do is Never Forget, and you are doing a damn fine job.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:34 AM
puddles13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I wear a patch from one of my son's BDU's. He's stationed in Iraq presently. I have a patch on my leather/non PC vest as well as one on the vest I wear when I attend PGR missions.
I wear it to not only have him close to my heart *patches on upper left of my vest*, but also to show the respect I have for him and ALL who have served.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:38 AM
07RoadGlide
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pablo22

Rules made by whom? You earned it, wear it with pride! Who gives a rat's clinton what anyone else thinks?

Brings to mind a funny story - One night in Sturgis a guy came up to me and asked what the ribbon on my cut was for - I replied "Combat Action Ribbon - Navy/Marine Corps issue" He tells me about his service in the Army and serving during the Gulf War - I welcome him home and thank him for his service. As he walks away, guess which patch i see on the back of his vest???? You got it, Navy/Marine Corps Combat Action Ribbon - but he was in the Army!!! They're out there!
No sure how theNavy/Marines do it, but this is a new war and Combat Action Badges/Medals/Ribbons reach across all 4 services now. I know of guys in the Navy and Air Force who have been awarded CABs because they were assigned to an Army Unit during the time of said action. Not saying the guy earned it or not, just keep in mind the days of old are long gone and all 4 services are taking care of each other when it comes to decs/awards. BTW, thanks for your service, from one combat vet to another.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:55 AM
Pablo22
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: 07RoadGlide

ORIGINAL: Pablo22

Rules made by whom? You earned it, wear it with pride! Who gives a rat's clinton what anyone else thinks?

Brings to mind a funny story - One night in Sturgis a guy came up to me and asked what the ribbon on my cut was for - I replied "Combat Action Ribbon - Navy/Marine Corps issue" He tells me about his service in the Army and serving during the Gulf War - I welcome him home and thank him for his service. As he walks away, guess which patch i see on the back of his vest???? You got it, Navy/Marine Corps Combat Action Ribbon - but he was in the Army!!! They're out there!
No sure how theNavy/Marines do it, but this is a new war and Combat Action Badges/Medals/Ribbons reach across all 4 services now. I know of guys in the Navy and Air Force who have been awarded CABs because they were assigned to an Army Unit during the time of said action. Not saying the guy earned it or not, just keep in mind the days of old are long gone and all 4 services are taking care of each other when it comes to decs/awards. BTW, thanks for your service, from one combat vet to another.
I should have specified - I am an Operation Iraqi Freedom Vet - medically retired upon my return after 11 years of service in the Corps - Not exactly an old-timer, though my kids would disagree. I understand the awarding of ribbons/badges/etc. across branches - but when some goon comes up asking me what a certain ribbon was awarded for and he's wearing the same one on his vest - I'm raising the Bull$**** flag! You'd be hard pressed to find an Army Vet (who had never served in the Navy/Marine Corps)who was awarded a Navy/Marine Corps Combat Action Ribbon in the Gulf War. More importantly - Thank you for your service as well, it was an honor!

Old 08-22-2007, 01:11 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

That's not quite the same thing at wearing a SEAL patch on your vest and saying you were part of SEAL Team 4. Besides, I was with SEAL Team 3!!!! j/k

I agree with Tripper, your father earned them, you are wearing them in his honor! Nothing wrong with that! I'm considering the same thing for my father. My current plan is to put all the rocker patches from each ship/duty station I served on around a US Navy patch on my M/C vest. Trying to decide on my insignia patch.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:31 AM
Obi68
Road Captain

from another former bubblehead; wear those fish you earned them.
(the nice thing is, these won't get pounded-on like your first ones did!)

Obi
USN 86-97

Old 08-22-2007, 02:45 AM
07RoadGlide
Banned

but when some goon comes up asking me what a certain ribbon was awarded for and he's wearing the same one on his vest - I'm raising the Bull$**** flag!
Understand completely, and see your point. The guy may have just been a jackass to see if you earned yours and knew what you were talking about. Either way, I'm not trying to defend him. There have been time I've seen people running around with EOD shirts on, and I'll be the first one to call them out on it. Half of the times, they're guys who rolled out of school and never earned a crab. I usually let them know that they aren't/weren't ever EOD and don't appreciate them pretending to be. That's usually the end of the conversation. Same way with Seals and such. Those guys get WAAAYYY more pissed seeing someone with their Trident on if they didn't earn it.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:44 AM
100thRK
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: hartick

im fresh out of the navy and cant find a submarine patch for my vest. is there any rules about wearing my sub pin on my vest?? i have already put my subs patch on the right chest area, just like the uniform had.

or if anyone knows where to find a smaller submarines patch that would be great. i have looked for the past 2 years and cant find one at any rallies i have been to.
I am a retired MMCM(SS) and I wear a sub pin and my MCPO collar devices proudly on my vest. Nothing like walking down the street in Sturgis and have a stranger say "Hello Master Chief"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-22-2007, 09:57 AM
M2hunter
Cruiser

This is what is on my vest. Wore this patch with pride from 1984-1988

Quick Reply: military pins on vest??