General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's running the show at HD, Elon Musk?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2023, 10:35 AM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,474 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Originally Posted by tmac00333
You're half right and half wrong. You are correct about wage depreciation. However, do you really think that if wages were to grow at a reasonable rate that HD would NOT raise its prices?
Every business charges as much as they can for their products. They'd be stupid not to. You charge what the market will bear.

They have priced their machines out of reach for a huge slice of Americans due to a number of factors, not just wage stagnation. Chief among them: Greed and a willful ignorance of the needs and wants of millions of their heretofore brand-loyal customers.
Those evil dirty bastards! Damn them to hell for their selfish greed! I think the worst part is how Zeitz and Musk have not only raised prices on Harleys, but they raised prices at Indian too, and they've even raised the Gold Wing top model to almost $33,000!

​​​​​
​​​​
Also, I blame Musk and Puma Boy mostly for just being jerks.
Those sons of bitches should die in a fire. Especially Musk, what he has done during his tenure at Harley is unforgivable.

Look -- if you want to solve a problem, you have to identify what the REAL problem is. And it isn't PumaBoy(TM) and it damn sure isn't Elon Musk. It's the Wal-Martization of America, and the disappearance of the middle class. Harley isn't charging any more for their bikes than they always have; in terms of other fixed assets they're actually charging less than they used to. A Harley touring bike costs the same as a Gold Wing or an Indian, and it always has.

Harley wants to go upmarket and "premium"? Who doesn't? But more seriously, where the hell else are they supposed to go? The middle class has disappeared, so we're left with a country of mostly low-wage rent slaves who barely manage to pay their cell phone bill, and rich elites. That's who's out there now. Who should Harley build products for? Hint: they actually offer a $4,795 bike now, but they can't offer it here because they'd be vilified for having it made in the Evil Empire, China. So they're left with pursuing the few rich (doctors and dentists) that want to ride.

Made In America costs money. So the product costs money. And Americans don't have money anymore, because of wage stagnation combined with inflation eroding the value of their dollars, tens of millions of illegal immigrants distorting the labor market, and outsourcing our good-paying manufacturing jobs. Solve those problems and Harleys (and Indians and Gold Wings) will automatically become affordable for more people.

Last edited by FatBob2018; 03-25-2023 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-25-2023, 11:13 AM
aecs
Road Master

Received 412 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
Unions did back that move so blame them. The Hero Obama gave GM a great deal allowing them to screw bond holders.

Stand by more of this coming Democrats want everyone broke.
Well the unions held the manufacturers hostage and forced an unrealistic pension plan to begin with...

almost 2000 of the price of a new GM goes to pay pensions of people that are no longer working.... Thanks unins!!!

Old 03-25-2023, 11:43 AM
Tcrafty
Road Warrior
Received 1,880 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
Yep. There's a reason there's a stereotype of the Corvette always being driven by the old guy; he's the only one who can afford it.
FYI, the average age of the NEW Corvette buyer has dropped by 10 years with the introduction of the mid-engine car. Was told that by HIGH up GM exec. I believe him.

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
No, I'm all out of snake oil, all I have left is facts.... In 1980, the value of a job let the average American family afford a house, 2 cars, health care, and a stay-at-home mom. That is what a job was worth. And yes, people could buy Harleys too.
That defiintely was NOT my reality in the 80s growing up. Mom and dad worked their butts off to keep a roof over our heads. We ate "Govment Cheeze" and tree-rat pot pie a LOT. And, forget about a Harley....

That said, we weren't "poor", there were just things we couldn't afford. We never went without and the lights were never shut off. But, the cleavers didn't live near our neighborhood. And, some of the best memories I have of growing up are of mom and dad, and both my siblings and I sitting on the front porch learning how to have a conversation.

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Inflation and wages aside, there are a lot more expenses today for things that didn't exist when I was growing up, wages would need to outpace inflation just to cover it all. Compare what's under the roof of that house in 1970 vs today. 5 tv's instead of 1 console tv, cell phones, computers, ipads, and more toys, a lot of people here have multiple bikes for fun rather than one used one as their only source of transportation. Our money is divided up and allotted to more things than we could ever have imagined.
THIS is so true. We make more, we spend more... "Rich" or "Poor" is a mentality. I've seen folks flaunt both their "rich-ness" as well as their "poor-ness" and I've seen folks who "getting a raise" simply meant there needed to be something new to try and keep balance to their bottom line. Look at what we made in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and on. Then look at how prices jumped throughout the decades. We ask more for our service, we pay more for our eggs and bacon, and Harleys. But, just asking the question... if we quit paying the prices, would it have an effect in the negative direction? Don't sell as many cars, bikes, or shoes and there's no reason to have as many people on staff.So, the dreaded layoffs occur.

And, IMHO, @FatBob2018 pretty much laid out the ups and downs of a global market. Ramifications are as much personal as they are economic, financial, and geographic. The ones that prevail are the ones who can read the tea leaves best. Always been that way, always will be.

I know y'all didn't ask for this diatribe. Sorry for the interruption.

The following users liked this post:
hellonewman (03-25-2023)