General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's running the show at HD, Elon Musk?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2023, 02:56 PM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 11,079 Likes on 4,340 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
That statement is funny as hell considering this plant alone is pumping out 500,000 plus a year and we can't build them fast enough and there's 4 other plants world wide with more coming.

Somebody is buying them

Oh and while you're slinging mud make mention of how much taxpayer money the government has dumped into GM, Ford and several other EV players so the can play catch up with Tesla and not let Elon dominate the Market, or is the hate just directed at Musk only?
The government should not be involved in business of any kind, not one red cent.

The following 2 users liked this post by AJSHOVEL:
Axedude (03-28-2023), talkingrock (03-22-2023)
Old 03-22-2023, 03:06 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,359 Likes on 5,499 Posts

HD CEO does not want to sell bikes people ride. He wants to sell a few bikes to people who park them just to have them.
Then buy the jackets and boots to show up at the club. The few he sells he wants to sell for twice what they should have sold for.

Then shut down every dealership he can. Will be no need for them.
Look at what direction he has been going. His moto is if you have to ask about price . You are in the wrong place.
Great business model if it works.

The following users liked this post:
tmac00333 (03-23-2023)
Old 03-22-2023, 03:06 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,988 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Originally Posted by AJSHOVEL
The government should not be involved in business of any kind, not one red cent.
Agreed, my take is gonna sling **** throw it at all the players, don't single just one. But that isn't how the world works, every major business in this country has gotten government and state money at some point, some do regular.

The following 3 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
aecs (03-23-2023), AJSHOVEL (03-22-2023), Spartanden (03-23-2023)
Old 03-22-2023, 05:01 PM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 1,416 Posts

Subsidies which is the term used to describe funds provided by Governments of all the different levels to encourage manufacturers to do a certain thing are very common across all industries. However it was not what kept Tesla alive. They did accept a 465m loan, Advanced Technology Vehicle Manufacturing, back in 2010 and paid it off in 2013 nine years early. Ford took over 5b from that program and never repaid it. Nissan paid back their 1.5b of it. It has to be noted this was all part of trying to get the industry back on track after the Federal government spent 50b bailing out GM and 18b bailing out Chrysler, overall I think the government wrote off 11-12b from that GM Bailout.

The following 2 users liked this post by ChrisHo:
Axedude (03-28-2023), TwiZted Biker (03-22-2023)
Old 03-22-2023, 10:02 PM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 11,079 Likes on 4,340 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisHo
Subsidies which is the term used to describe funds provided by Governments of all the different levels to encourage manufacturers to do a certain thing are very common across all industries. However it was not what kept Tesla alive. They did accept a 465m loan, Advanced Technology Vehicle Manufacturing, back in 2010 and paid it off in 2013 nine years early. Ford took over 5b from that program and never repaid it. Nissan paid back their 1.5b of it. It has to be noted this was all part of trying to get the industry back on track after the Federal government spent 50b bailing out GM and 18b bailing out Chrysler, overall I think the government wrote off 11-12b from that GM Bailout.
Damn shame. Crony Capitalism at it's finest....and at what cost?

s-glide76 (03-23-2023)
Old 03-22-2023, 11:12 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,988 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisHo
On a side note, GM's little f**k you move in 2009 cost me a retirement income I had coming, wiped it out completely.

smitty901 (03-25-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 07:15 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,918 Likes on 1,579 Posts

I find it incredibly how many people are blaming "The puma guy" when Matt Levatich wasn't doing any better(thats why he lost the CEO job), and since he took over HD has released one of the most popular bikes HD has ever made based on one of the most popular trends in custom motorcycles the FXLRST, and then has followed it up with other ST models, and the PanAmerica came out which was the most popular ADV bike in the USA last year, and HD is getting back into racing pouring money into it with Willie G saying that this is where HD belongs.
But yeah, Puma guy, hes totally running HD into the ground.

FatBob2018 (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 07:25 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,497 Likes on 2,708 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
I find it incredibly how many people are blaming "The puma guy" when Matt Levatich wasn't doing any better(thats why he lost the CEO job), and since he took over HD has released one of the most popular bikes HD has ever made based on one of the most popular trends in custom motorcycles the FXLRST, and then has followed it up with other ST models, and the PanAmerica came out which was the most popular ADV bike in the USA last year, and HD is getting back into racing pouring money into it with Willie G saying that this is where HD belongs.
But yeah, Puma guy, hes totally running HD into the ground.
The PA was thanks to Matt if I recall correctly, I wouldn't doubt those other bikes weren't already in the works when the non-rider took the helm. What rolls out 3 years from now will be mostly the new guys doing.

mikefmoto (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 07:29 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,918 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
The PA was thanks to Matt if I recall correctly, I wouldn't doubt those other bikes weren't already in the works when the non-rider took the helm. What rolls out 3 years from now will be mostly the new guys doing.
Just FYI, Zeitz is a motorcycle rider himself. People need to stop saying it isnt.

Old 03-23-2023, 07:37 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,497 Likes on 2,708 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
Just FYI, Zeitz is a motorcycle rider himself. People need to stop saying it isnt.
Don't hold your breath. He's not a motorcycle guy, he's a business man through and through and that's all its about. He reads from a teleprompter like it's the first time he's seeing what he's reading, at least thats how it looks to me.

Quick Reply: Who's running the show at HD, Elon Musk?