General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2023 Harley X350 and X350RA

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2023 | 05:45 PM
FatBob2018
|
Grand HDF Member
Default 2023 Harley X350 and X350RA

More info on the forthcoming entry-level bikes, the Harley X350 and X350RA.

The X350 and its RA variant are produced by a joint venture between Harley and QianJiang in China. QianJiang makes millions of motorcycles per year, and is a division of Geely, the company that owns Volvo and Lotus and many other automotive and motorsport companies. QianJiang owns and manufactures Benelli motorcycles, and is also entering the US market under its own QJMotor line.

The X350 is largely a rebadged and restyled version of the QJ 350 and the next generation of the Benelli 302S. It uses an 8-valve parallel twin displacing 353cc, and develops 36 horsepower, and can hit a top speed of about 90 mph. 353cc is about 22 cubic inches.

It remains to be seen whether the X350 will actually be released in the USA. It was initially discussed as being marketed to Asian countries, but it was included in the CARB certification so it's possibly coming to the USA as well.

The X350RA is a variation of the X350, destined for the Riding Academy. It includes orange crash bars and sliders, slightly narrower tires, and apparently a detuned engine that develops 23 horsepower.
Motorcycle.com has an updated story on the new models, and they even managed to get a version of the owner's manual uploaded to them.

https://www.motorcycle.com/new-model...350ra.html?amp

Separately, I found an introduction to the Rider's Academy on an Oregon state website, and it shows a bigger and more detailed view of the differences of the X350RA.

Slide taken from https://www.oregon.gov/odot/Safety/D..._Oregon119.pdf.

We still don't know when these will be formally announced, but a clue is perhaps in the above slide, which clearly shows "Q1 2023".

Last edited by FatBob2018; 01-23-2023 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-24-2023 | 05:19 AM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member

My local BMW dealer sells a good number of the G310 series which has a 34hp 313cc single. They are priced between $5,800 and $6,600 depending on model; think R and GS. These little machines are just packed with features like slipper clutches, "ride by wire" engine management, led lighting, and of course ABS, all in about 360 pounds ready to ride. The same dealer also has the full KTM line up and the 390 series gets accolades all the time with RC390 looking and performing like a race bike; albeit one with 373cc single that packs in traction control, cornering abs, slipper clutch, and more. $5800 with the "off road" models peaking under $7k.

The market for small displacement motorcycles exploded over the past few years because of affordability, looks that match the larger bikes, and ease of riding. Harley is screwed either way because they have no entry level priced motorcycles, their idiot idea the used market would be the path to ownership failed when dealers marked up used bikes to near new pricing, and besides that pricing problem the bikes are all larger displacement which hurts them in many markets have displacement and horsepower limits to licensing.

Then to top it off, that BMW series while made in India is a full on BMW design with their same rigid specifications down to having the plant built and staff trained to their liking. KTM designs and builds their own and there are a whole host of Japanese offerings with the Kawasaki 400 series being very strong; they offer twins which elevates the hp and experience.

And here we have Harley... slapping their badge on a bike they did not design and build and worse it is effectively all Chinese parts. Holy hell how far the company has sunk under their current leadership when their own engineers cannot even design the bike. I have no issue with them producing an entry level bike overseas but I do take notice when they don't even both design the motor and chassis and instead basically buy off the shelf.

The following 2 users liked this post by ChrisHo:
Campy Roadie (03-10-2023), stratplexi (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023 | 07:02 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp

These models are being brought to the USA to use as training bikes for the Riders Edge Program. GM at local dealership said when bikes are done being used for training they have to be crushed; can't be sold

Old 01-24-2023 | 08:29 AM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member

What's that bracket going over the front fender for? Looks like it serves no purpose. But what do I know.

Old 01-24-2023 | 09:08 AM
FatBob2018
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by bronxbill
These models are being brought to the USA to use as training bikes for the Riders Edge Program. GM at local dealership said when bikes are done being used for training they have to be crushed; can't be sold
A new article at Cycle World very much disagrees, they say the X350 has all the emissions equipment to make it USA-legal, and that there are three models approved for California: the X350, the X350RA, and the X350RA Derating Removed. Their speculation is that last one is an approval for when a detuned 23hp Riding Academy bike is restored to full 36hp power; I would think that would be a step taken in preparation to selling the bike off to the public. I bought a Street 750 from the Riding Academy, it was titled as new and was restored to regular XG750 specs (the orange crash bars had been removed, etc).

New Cycle World article is here: https://www.cycleworld.com/motorcycl...-coming-to-usa

Old 01-24-2023 | 09:10 AM
FatBob2018
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
What's that bracket going over the front fender for? Looks like it serves no purpose. But what do I know.
Looks to me like it's a Riding Academy modification so the instructor knows the name of each student and each student knows which bike is theirs.

Old 01-24-2023 | 09:24 AM
FatBob2018
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by ChrisHo
and there are a whole host of Japanese offerings with the Kawasaki 400 series being very strong; they offer twins which elevates the hp and experience.
Not just twins; Kawasaki offers a 250cc 4-cylinder over there, and a 400cc 4-cylinder. They're unveiling two new bikes for USA/Canada on February 1, and the speculation is strong that we will get the 4-cylinder 400 here.

Holy hell how far the company has sunk under their current leadership when their own engineers cannot even design the bike.
That is an odd thing, for sure. QianJiang owns the storied Italian brand Benelli, and Benelli engineers and designers in Italy design the motorcycles, and then QJ builds them in their China factories. And they're good bikes too.

I would have thought Harley would have the same relationship, but apparently not; apparently Harley only designed the looks of the X350 and X500. They are the exact same bikes as the Benelli models, with different tank/fenders/seats. And that seemed odd. But then I thought of the Street 500 and 750 failure and maybe Harley has decided to stick to their strengths? Maybe they are acknowledging that they don't "get" the Asian/small bike market, so they're letting the experts do what they do, and Harley has effectively "customized" their design to make it look like a Harley?

This isn't the first time they've done this, remember the Aermacchi bikes? I think that was a very similar situation, wasn't it?

Last edited by FatBob2018; 01-24-2023 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-24-2023 | 11:08 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member

Qianjiang leaky

Old 01-24-2023 | 02:26 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!

^ Is that soy sauce?

Old 01-24-2023 | 03:11 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dynamick