Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A new respect for touring class

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 12:50 PM
triple buzz
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default A new respect for touring class

I had a run in with a racoon that dammaged my V-Rod so I needed a bike for a poker run I had involvement with so I went to rent one at my dealer. I wanted a v-rod but they were out for the weekend so I had a choice of some dyna's, some soft tails and some from the touring class. I said what the hell give me the ultra classic. My first thoughts were this is not going to impress me but my wife will love it. After 10 miles of messing with the radio and GPS I started to notice that this thing isn't so bad . I carries it huge weight well . If I kept in mind it's not a sportbike or a V-rod I could respect the power output. Brakes were ok ,took alot of effort to bring it down in a hurry. Ride was waaaaaaaay better then my Rod. My wife even said she noticed the bumps were smoother.The wife was very comfortable on a 400 mile day Sat. and only bitched about the hardbag crash bars digging into her calfs (higher floorboards would cure this). So over all I have a new respect for The touring class. I have always liked the look of the road glide and like its handlebars and seating better then the Ultra. So to make a long story short the wife said we could get a glide if I buy the tour pack and lazyboy style back rest. When I return this Glide Monday I am doing it !! I have to before the wife realizes what she said and changes her mind! F- it it's only money

Old 08-19-2007, 12:56 PM
Baldman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: A new respect for touring class

Been there, done that and no regrets.

Congrats, hopefully...lol.

Take care

Old 08-19-2007, 01:00 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's good to have different bikes for different rides. My Hendersons are the 'touring' part of my collection. Heavy, ride real plush. One time I had to ride over a 2x12 that a cager I was following had blocked from my view. Barely even a blip in the suspension (the Dyna and Outlaw would have been bucking hard over that).

Good luck finding your tour ride.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:34 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,005 Likes on 543 Posts

Once you ride a FLH, you never go back. Add a RideStr8 and it will carve corners pretty good too.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:48 PM
user 37474839
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love my SG and it actually handles low speed manuevers better than my XL1200c. You are right though about the extra stopping distance needed ..especially with the stock brakes.

This is something that's concerned me about my 07 since I put a lot of highway miles on mine and on I-40 andI-85 drivers tend to crowd in really tight... [:@]

My next major upgrade will be Lyndall brakes pads and floating rotors. Obviously they've addressed this concern with the 08s and the Brembo upfits, so I know I'm not alone here with braking concerns on these heavy larger bikes.

You're gonna love that new RG!

Old 08-19-2007, 04:04 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member

as said different for different rides, but my ultra gets the most duty. made a good ride to sturgis

Old 08-19-2007, 04:34 PM
Roofuss96
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL !! Welcome to the ' Geezer Glide " club, buzz !!![sm=welcomesign.gif]

Old 08-19-2007, 04:47 PM
jr_c6
Road Captain

My Ultra is more "planted" and handles better than my Deluxe did... although the Deluxe is a might fine lookin' scoot!

However, no regrets. The ride of the Ultra is simply fantastic.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:02 PM
JBBOOKS
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I started riding with a group of3 other riders, I was the only touring model.There were on two softails and a dyna. All of them nowride HD touring bikes. There is nothing like them.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:07 PM
raftgyde
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the Dark Side!

Quick Reply: A new respect for touring class