General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MC Patchholders

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 01:55 PM
Alias
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: MC Patchholders

[quote]ORIGINAL: bosnmate

ORIGINAL: TxHarleyGuy2007

ORIGINAL: SoftailBrian

Why is it a big NO NO to wear a patch on your back that says you are a part of something? I'm not talking about the patches on my back showing I was a part of a combat operation. I'm talking about some kind of club or group of individuals that like to ride together. Wild Hog style, you might say.
It's all about RESPECT. Regardless of what one thinks of patch holders and club members, know that those patches on those vests/jackets didn't come so easily. Acquiring 'full patch' status is no easy task and often times takes years of dedication to the club in order to gain trust and acceptance. Because of this, there is a sense of pride and accomplishment that goes along with one 'being able to wear' such a rocker on their back. Attempting to wear a 'club like' 3-piece patch is - to many club members - a sign of disrespect. And if ever asked by a club member, you'd be best suited to respectfullytake said vest/jacket off while in their presence. They more than likely won't ask twice.

*Yes, I read wher non-patch holders shouldn't reply. Sorry. The above was submitted not as a direct result of my experience within a club. But moreover, as a result of my experience with club members and both family members and friends who hold or have held 'full patch' status here in Texas.
I belong to the American Legion Riders which is not a Motorcycle Club in any shape or form. We used to wear something along the lines of a three piece patch but it was not styled like a traditional 3 Piecer. All three pieces were proportionate and the top and bottom rocker butted up against the center ALR patch. The top rocker said either Charter Member or Member, the bottom one said the State and Post Number you were from. From a distance of say 15 feet it looked like one big patch. The dominant clubs (Outlaws and HA in several states) had a problem with this and we removed the Charter Member or Member patch off the top just to keep the peace.

I will say it pizzed me off that we had to remove the top rocker. For one, we aren't a Motorcycle Club and don't conduct business as one either. We even allow females to be full bike riding, office holding members. Our only requirement is that you have to be eligable for membership in the American Legion and be a member in good standing of the American Legion and own a motor cycle over 350cc. Now, to be eligible for membership in the American Legion you have to be an Active Duty or Honorably Discharged Veteran of one of the U.S. Armed Forces branches. Many of our members are war veterans and many have received some sort of disability while serving this country to keep it free for all to enjoy.

What makes some of these MC's think they are better than we are. MC's talk about earning the right to wear three pieces because they were the club house pizz boy for a few months or so. To me the veterans I ride with served a 4 to 20+ year probate period in the United States Military often times in combat zones keeping this country free. Which by the way, the freedom the MC's enjoy is protected by the very military that keeps our country free. I think our veterans deserve to wear whatever the hell they want to wear on their backs and the dominant clubs should look the other way out of respect for us, we EARNED it too. Most veterans clubs don't care about territory, don't go after the same type of people for membership and don't dabble in the other MC's business. Most veterans MC's are extremely neutral in all aspects and are not a threat to other MC's, we are very considerate and respectful of other clubs and we observe the proper protocols when we find ourselves in the presence of such clubs.

So, since this is a Three Piece Patch thread I have a question for the m

Old 08-20-2007, 02:16 PM
bosnmate
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: Alias

[quote]ORIGINAL: bosnmate

ORIGINAL: TxHarleyGuy2007

ORIGINAL: SoftailBrian

Why is it a big NO NO to wear a patch on your back that says you are a part of something? I'm not talking about the patches on my back showing I was a part of a combat operation. I'm talking about some kind of club or group of individuals that like to ride together. Wild Hog style, you might say.
It's all about RESPECT. Regardless of what one thinks of patch holders and club members, know that those patches on those vests/jackets didn't come so easily. Acquiring 'full patch' status is no easy task and often times takes years of dedication to the club in order to gain trust and acceptance. Because of this, there is a sense of pride and accomplishment that goes along with one 'being able to wear' such a rocker on their back. Attempting to wear a 'club like' 3-piece patch is - to many club members - a sign of disrespect. And if ever asked by a club member, you'd be best suited to respectfullytake said vest/jacket off while in their presence. They more than likely won't ask twice.

*Yes, I read wher non-patch holders shouldn't reply. Sorry. The above was submitted not as a direct result of my experience within a club. But moreover, as a result of my experience with club members and both family members and friends who hold or have held 'full patch' status here in Texas.
I belong to the American Legion Riders which is not a Motorcycle Club in any shape or form. We used to wear something along the lines of a three piece patch but it was not styled like a traditional 3 Piecer. All three pieces were proportionate and the top and bottom rocker butted up against the center ALR patch. The top rocker said either Charter Member or Member, the bottom one said the State and Post Number you were from. From a distance of say 15 feet it looked like one big patch. The dominant clubs (Outlaws and HA in several states) had a problem with this and we removed the Charter Member or Member patch off the top just to keep the peace.

I will say it pizzed me off that we had to remove the top rocker. For one, we aren't a Motorcycle Club and don't conduct business as one either. We even allow females to be full bike riding, office holding members. Our only requirement is that you have to be eligable for membership in the American Legion and be a member in good standing of the American Legion and own a motor cycle over 350cc. Now, to be eligible for membership in the American Legion you have to be an Active Duty or Honorably Discharged Veteran of one of the U.S. Armed Forces branches. Many of our members are war veterans and many have received some sort of disability while serving this country to keep it free for all to enjoy.

What makes some of these MC's think they are better than we are. MC's talk about earning the right to wear three pieces because they were the club house pizz boy for a few months or so. To me the veterans I ride with served a 4 to 20+ year probate period in the United States Military often times in combat zones keeping this country free. Which by the way, the freedom the MC's enjoy is protected by the very military that keeps our country free. I think our veterans deserve to wear whatever the hell they want to wear on their backs and the dominant clubs should look the other way out of respect for us, we EARNED it too. Most veterans clubs don't care about territory, don't go after the same type of people for membership and don't dabble in the other MC's business. Most veterans MC's are extremely neutral in all aspects and are not a threat to other MC's, we are very considerate and respectful of other clubs and we observe the proper protocols when we find ourselves in the presence of such clubs.

So, since this is a Three Piece Patch threa

Old 08-20-2007, 02:22 PM
nomad billy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

bosnmate i cant explain that at all, a lot of club members are x and even serving servicemen there must have been some misunderstanding to even get thier attention.Not to say u,re wrong ,just never seen anyone in any club show any thing but respect for vets.One example i personaly seen ,a man walked up on the porch of C.H. in buffalo n.y. blasted was told he wasnt a member and get the he** out .Old guy said ok left.came back 2 hrs later full dress marine uniform on with enough medals and servce ribbons looked like he,d been everywhere and done everything.He was adopted buy the club, kept a bottle of his favorite there at all times[prospects job]

Old 08-20-2007, 02:29 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

There are forums that are much more 1%er friendly.

Phil check your mail.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:31 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Bosnmate...The Kansas ALR was similar to your group's, in regards to the Patches. Post number in a Rocker on top, the American Legion Rider emblem in the middle, and the Home City of that Legion post in a bar on the bottom.

We got an email recently from the State ALR Director. Apparently the Cof C had a meeting with the ALR Leadership recently, and requested that all ALR Riders in Kansas remove the Bar from the bottom.

Alias
Road Master

[/quote]

** Now I will say this. There have been a few ALR Posts that have crossed the line in the past and done things outside the bylaws of the ALR and WERE conducting business like a MC. They have been corrected.

[/quote]

That right there may be the problem. You can't act like a 1% club and not expect to be treated like one by the dominate club.

This post is really going to cause trouble and I really think it needs to end.

It's been fun but I'm through. If you feel like continuing this topic do it in a PM please.

I hope this thread get locked soon.

Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

Once again, I'm going to warn everyone to keep this thread civil. I haven't seen a 1"er or MC Path Holder thread make it yet. Thougth this might be a first. Why can't people accept that MC Patch Holders are just part of the Motorcycle Lifestyle?

Old 08-20-2007, 02:33 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i do

Old 08-20-2007, 02:37 PM
bosnmate
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Terry, we do accept that and I respect that. Since I don't have direct access to dominate club leadership to ask the question of what happened, I thought I would do it here and hope for the best. It just got a little befuddling that the ALR was being made to change. So far, I think this thread has been very civil.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:48 PM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior

Thanks Terry and you're right bosn, it has been very civil. I appreciate everyone's keeping it such. Thank you, everyone.

Quick Reply: MC Patchholders