General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MC Patchholders

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 11:21 AM
Alias
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: MC Patchholders

ORIGINAL: SoftailBrian

To start off, I am not a patch holder nor will I ever be one. I ask this question to only be informed and for my own curiosity.

Why is it a big NO NO to wear a patch on your back that says you are a part of something? I'm not talking about the patches on my back showing I was a part of a combat operation. I'm talking about some kind of club or group of individuals that like to ride together. Wild Hog style, you might say.

Hope I didn't step on any toes.
I'll try and answer that for you. Anyone else that can add, please do.

It's not a problem putting a patch on your back. Most social ridingassociationsand riding clubs fly a one or two piece patch. The problem would come in if you are trying to emulate a three-piece clubpatch. You don't just join a three-piece patch club, you are invited to join usually after a sometimes lengthy hang around period.

Wearing a three-piece patch that you may have purchasedis tantamount tothumbing your nose at the dominant club in that area.

To patch into a club is hard work, no patch is ever just given freely to anyone. The prospect works hard to become part of this brotherhood. Therefore if someone just sows a three-piece patch on their back, one that was not earned it does rub the wrong way. Depending on the dominant club in your area, repercussions can very greatly.

Legitimate three-piece patch clubs do not fly their colorsin a rival clubs territory unless their on official club business or just passing through.

Unfortunately there's a lot of people out there today that will try to fly a three-piece patch that they bought at a flea market and try to live what they think is a 1% lifestyle. Those of the ones that end up in trouble not your social club or association riders who happen to fly patches.
I hope this explains a little bit of what you are asking, if not elaborate a little bit more in your question and I or someone else will try and answer your questions for you.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:33 AM
SoftailBrian
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Say if'n someones family wanted a family crest or something signifying there family riding together as a center patch, there family name as top rocker, and the state they are from as bottom rocker. I know I read somewhere(truth or not, I'm not sure) that having rockers on your back is a no no. Not trying to be a 1%, butcan't someone be proud of there family and friends?

Old 08-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Alias
Road Master

LOL. I guess if the center patch did not look like someones center patch you could explain it away. My question would be, why would you want to be questioned about it? Just make a one piece patch and you will not be ask about it.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:11 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is it a big NO NO to wear a patch on your back that says you are a part of something? I'm not talking about the patches on my back showing I was a part of a combat operation. I'm talking about some kind of club or group of individuals that like to ride together. Wild Hog style, you might say.
It's all about RESPECT. Regardless of what one thinks of patch holders and club members, know that those patches on those vests/jackets didn't come so easily. Acquiring 'full patch' status is no easy task and often times takes years of dedication to the club in order to gain trust and acceptance. Because of this, there is a sense of pride and accomplishment that goes along with one 'being able to wear' such a rocker on their back. Attempting to wear a 'club like' 3-piece patch is - to many club members - a sign of disrespect. And if ever asked by a club member, you'd be best suited to respectfullytake said vest/jacket off while in their presence. They more than likely won't ask twice.

*Yes, I read wher non-patch holders shouldn't reply. Sorry. The above was submitted not as a direct result of my experience within a club. But moreover, as a result of my experience with club members and both family members and friends who hold or have held 'full patch' status here in Texas.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Reeferhead
Banned

ORIGINAL: Alias

I still see there's a lot of mis-information out there. ie, "Then get ready to be locked in a tiger cage,after having your *** kicked,whilst everyone throws feces at,and pizzes on you! "

This was standard procedure to join the Hell's Henchman for years,cause YOU don't know shlt,don't mean it ain't true.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:16 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,869 Likes on 9,332 Posts

ORIGINAL: Phil

No need to mention the club, just wondering what drives some men to join these types of clubs. I know what does it for me, what about you?
I got out of the Marine Corps in 1972 and went home to Detroit to get some college and get on with my life. I had gone on rides with a club near San Diego, CA a few times and was drawn to the combination of outdoors stuff, rough lifestyleand motorcycles. I met up with a member of a three-piece patchDetroit club and was invited to the clubhouse that week. After about 8 months I was invited to go through probation with the club for membership. I had never done so many pushups in my life, because most of the current members were prior Navy or Army, no Marines. It was all fraternity type hazing which more so brought out how a person could handle stuff with the membership. In other words, could the probie get along with the whole membership or was his focus on just getting a patch. It would only take two no-votes to extend the probation. A second vote containing two no-votes would bar him from membership. Upon making membership, I really gave my all to the club just because I had the capacity too. It was fun in the way I enjoyed things at the time. Doing the things average people wouldn't try, on or off the scooter. My Dad once told me he wasn't as much concerned about what I did while on the motorcycle as to what I did when I was off the motorcycle. I was club SAA after my first year as a member. When I went back to the Marine Corps in 1975 I intended to turn my colors in but the club President put a motion to the floor to transfer me to honorary status for life. The club voted and I was given my colors back. A lot of the members of the time have left the club. A few are still there; some have died of various causes. The club will always be one of my identifying marks of life. As our numbers decrease, we look more to each other for the knowledge of our past and the carefree life we lived then. New members probably look at us as old fossils and laugh, but someday, they will see their past in the same way.
I have maintained the contact with members as my tours of duty kept me at a distance and now my career has me in Virginia. The club has grown to several chapters since then and the few times I actually get back to Detroit, I stop in to see them. There have been men with diverse hang-ups over the years that wanted to join the club, but the membership saw the wanna-be character and passed on them.
MCmembership is something that grows on ya. I suppose it would be much like any organization where ya really get involved and pour yourself into it. You identify with the others who give their all as well. There is a trust thing that has to develop before ya ever get an invite to prospect for the club. From there, its a growing thing of friendships. As some others have posted in this thread that club members kinda go over board on the brother hood thing and begin to sponge off other members more than what they put into the club. That's ok during a circumstance, but ongoing for years, it becomes obvious. On the criminal activity side of things, sure we have seen the newspaper articles of MC members being arrested for trafficking, conspiracies, murder etc. Sure that happens in all walks of life. Their close associates who want to cover for them may go down with them for trying to cover things up when the LEOs come knocking. That's arisk anyone takes to protect their circle of friends. In some circles, the protection just isn't there for one reason or another. Common sense, a respect of the law or they aren't as close a friend as the guy in trouble thought. On the other hand, the guys covering may have something inh

Old 08-20-2007, 12:19 PM
Alias
Road Master

And I'm sure you witnessed this.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:12 PM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior

Don't be so quick to say no ligit patchholders post here... I know that isn't true. Also, it's become apparent that "most" people think only of 1% clubs with my mention of "traditional" clubs. There are many traditional clubs that are not 1%ers. Even some populated by current and ex law enforcement like the Iron Pigs MC. I'll give a couple more examples: Viet Nam Vets MC, Tribe MC, Sons of God MC, Messengers MC... none of which wear a 1% diamond. Some wear 3 piece patches some wear 2 . So please, don't automatically consider "traditional" to mean 1%er. All 1%er clubs are "traditional" clubsbut not all "traditional" clubs are 1%ers. Thanks for all the comments so far.

Last edited by Blue SOG; 05-29-2014 at 10:53 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:23 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Phil

I'll give a couple more examples: Viet Nam Vets MC, Iron Order MC, Tribe MC, Sons of God MC, Messengers MC...
And we can't forget one of the oldest of the bunch, the "Boozefighters MC" which was established way back in 1946.

But you are correct, as many people only think of 1% clubs (and their support clubs) when Traditional MC's are mentioned.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:30 PM
bosnmate
Banned

ORIGINAL: TxHarleyGuy2007

It's all about RESPECT. Regardless of what one thinks of patch holders and club members, know that those patches on those vests/jackets didn't come so easily. Acquiring 'full patch' status is no easy task and often times takes years of dedication to the club in order to gain trust and acceptance. Because of this, there is a sense of pride and accomplishment that goes along with one 'being able to wear' such a rocker on their back. Attempting to wear a 'club like' 3-piece patch is - to many club members - a sign of disrespect. And if ever asked by a club member, you'd be best suited to respectfullytake said vest/jacket off while in their presence. They more than likely won't ask twice.

*Yes, I read wher non-patch holders shouldn't reply. Sorry. The above was submitted not as a direct result of my experience within a club. But moreover, as a result of my experience with club members and both family members and friends who hold or have held 'full patch' status here in Texas.
I belong to the American Legion Riders which is not a Motorcycle Club in any shape or form. We used to wear something along the lines of a three piece patch but it was not styled like a traditional 3 Piecer. All three pieces were proportionate and the top and bottom rocker butted up against the center ALR patch. The top rocker said either Charter Member or Member, the bottom one said the State and Post Number you were from. From a distance of say 15 feet it looked like one big patch. The dominant clubs (Outlaws and HA in several states) had a problem with this and we removed the Charter Member or Member patch off the top just to keep the peace.

I will say it pizzed me off that we had to remove the top rocker. For one, we aren't a Motorcycle Club and don't conduct business as one either. We even allow females to be full bike riding, office holding members. Our only requirement is that you have to be eligable for membership in the American Legion and be a member in good standing of the American Legion and own a motor cycle over 350cc. Now, to be eligible for membership in the American Legion you have to be an Active Duty or Honorably Discharged Veteran of one of the U.S. Armed Forces branches. Many of our members are war veterans and many have received some sort of disability while serving this country to keep it free for all to enjoy.

What makes some of these MC's think they are better than we are. MC's talk about earning the right to wear three pieces because they were the club house pizz boy for a few months or so. To me the veterans I ride with served a 4 to 20+ year probate period in the United States Military often times in combat zones keeping this country free. Which by the way, the freedom the MC's enjoy is protected by the very military that keeps our country free. I think our veterans deserve to wear whatever the hell they want to wear on their backs and the dominant clubs should look the other way out of respect for us, we EARNED it too. Most veterans clubs don't care about territory, don't go after the same type of people for membership and don't dabble in the other MC's business. Most veterans MC's are extremely neutral in all aspects and are not a threat to other MC's, we are very considerate and respectful of other clubs and we observe the proper protocols when we find ourselves in the presence of such clubs.

So, since this is a Three Piece Patch thread I have a question for the membership of the dominant club

Quick Reply: MC Patchholders