Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I am giving up riding

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 11:16 PM
Nightrider2
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: I think I am giving up riding

If you are having second thoughts, and some problems when you ride now, I'd do some serious thinking about not riding for a while, or at least until you settle down some more, but, in your wife's case, sounds like she's done riding for good, and, would be sitting at home worrying about you. It is dangerous out there, but, when it's your time, it's your time, my advice is make sure your ready all the time.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:25 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Bighorse

I agree that you need some time off to let the dust settle from the accident. This isn't a macho thing where you have to prove anything to anyone. You need to heal my friend & let nature take its course. There isn't any reason why you can't continue to participate here as many of us will be pulling for you & want to know how matters progress.
I have to agree, you have to heal first, and time will help. I really think what you wrote and getting that off you mind is a good start with you time. Family is so important in this day and time, thay they will help you heal and only you can do what is right for you. I was T-Boned on my Kiing a few months back, never talked about it, never said anything until now. The king was brought home this weekend, I will tell you that even thou I have been riding since the accident, the king and I are taking it slow. I confess I was and still have be consumed by the pleasure of being a roadking rider, but I know now that I also am going to need time to readjust. Oh well, enough, you get well first, that is still the most important thing.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:37 PM
Blackmouth
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, glad you and the Mrs. weren't hurt any worse in that accident.

Nothing wrong with taking a little time off from motorcycling if it don't feel right.
Do what's right for you and your wife.
Don't get rid of the bike(s) until you've made a solid decision to stop riding.

If you do stop riding thenhave a change of heart later, there'll still be plenty of open road and more than enough Harleys out there for your shopping pleasure -- come on back!

Enjoy some time with your wife doing other things you folks enjoy doing together.
But please, stick around...there are lots of us that would like to know how things turn out and who will continue to wish you and your wife the best.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:08 AM
nomad billy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

been there, got hit headon.couldnt work, ride couldnt do much of anything for a yr.let it settle in your mind for a bit.theres been more but that was the worse one .dont sell anything yet and dont worry bout holding the brake and watching closer thats probly what u would,ve been doing on the bike anyhow.all the best whatever u do.just to lighten up a bit ,a old marine told me once-----what dont kill u makes u stronger--- funny thing is ,its true.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:09 AM
SoftailBrian
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

If you were on the bike it may have been a different set of sercumstances and you may have never been involved in the accident. You never know. I'm not going to tell you what to do, you are the only one who can decide. I am just glad you and your wife are still with us. Good luck with your decision.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:16 AM
lbjohnson1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with everyone else to take your time. I have been in accidents myself and at the time didn't get right back on the bike, but eventually did. My wife has never riden with me again but supports my decision to. I will remember to pray for you. Just glad you and your wife are ok.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:04 AM
Baldman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wanted to say glad you both are ok and still with us. Alot of excellent advice has been given already, so will leave it at that.

Take care

Old 08-19-2007, 01:53 AM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Give it some time I know what you're going through Ive been in two pretty bad wrecks with bikes. The first one got hit broadside the guy was doing about 20 mph. Messed up my right leg pretty good but had the bike back together and was riding with a cast a month after the wreck. The thing was when I got back on the bike it never bothered me a bit.The second one was the one that messed with my head the most. It happened back when there were pretty much only two types of cage drivers ( you guys that have been riding for a long time say 25 years or longerwill know what I'm talking about.)back then you didn't find cagers that when running down the road were indifferent towards bikers and didn't really care if they were their or not. The first group got pretty nervous around bikers and gave them a pretty wide berth, they were about 99% of the cages you would come across. The second group these are the 1%'s you hear aboutseemed to have a good time seeing how they could screw with anyone on a bike be it throwing food or what ever happened to handy out the window at you or if they were in a really fun loven mood by trying to run you off the road. A friend of mine and I were out for a ride and ran in to a couple of guys in a Chevelle that were from the second group and they ran Cathy and me off the road at over 60 mph. and in to a 2 foot high embutment. Two guys I knew were coming down a side road and saw it happen they said Cathy and Iflew about 12-15 feet in the air the bike was about 15 feet above us, we landed 48 feet from were we hitand the bike landed 67 feet from were we hit. But we were lucky Cathy onlyended up getting bruised up pretty good and I messed up some rib's and cut my right arm up a bit. After that one it took meabout 6 months before I was back on a bike and then those first two months back riding hadme wondering if I really wanted to stay with it, I'm glad I did . Like I said give it some time if you still have the desire to ride stick with it and you'll work it out, and you if end up deciding you just don't want to ride any more then walk awayand don't worry about it. Maybe some time down the road you'll get the itch to ride again and get back in to it then. Good luck to you.

Old 08-19-2007, 02:02 AM
jblksmith1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So sorry to hear about your accident. My bikes and I seem to have some magnetic connection to cagers so I really feel your pain. Only you know what is best for you. Personally, I can't even conceive of not riding a bike. Take some time to heal before you make any decisions.

Old 08-19-2007, 02:10 AM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

My opinion:

I have been in 7 bike wrecks and 3 auto accidents. Yet I still drive and ride. I once tried to ride a certain horse that for some reason didn't like me. I got on that damn horse 6 times and 6 times he threw me off. On the seventh try I stayed on and finally rode him. And I have ridden other horses since.

Two weeks ago I high sided my Sportster at 50 mph, broke 1 rib, sore leg and road rash on right side. I then rode the bike home and have ridden three time since.

I don't like staying down, makes me feel like I lost.

YMMV

Quick Reply: I think I am giving up riding