General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Billy Lane Appears in Court

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 12:12 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Billy Lane Appears in Court

ORIGINAL: BrockRKC06

No not a Billy groupie or any groupie for that matter. The course of this tread has degenerated into supposition of if after Lane does his time, pays his debt, will people and or the industry accept him back. If you can’t see the connection to my statement about Indian Larry being a criminal and habitual heroin userin his earlier days and doing some time and how people accepted him back then i am sorry. You might not accept Billy, but the reality is many many more people will. His peers in the industry already do. Take a look at who is supporting his causes since the incident. They have no problem lining up with him at Daytona or Sturgis for his charity breakfast.

While Billy committed the ultimate sin and killed another person, you have to be pretty stupid to assume he headed out that morning with the intent to go get drunk and kill someone. Alcohol clouds your judgment. It makes you do stupid things. If you want to debate what CHANCE he was blowing when he killed Morelock and figure it was his 2nd or 3rd then I say maybe, maybe not. No one here knows what rationalization Billy used to drive with a suspended license that day or any day after it was suspended. Not saying it was right at any time, i am just saying.

Billy has agreed to pay his crime to the Morelocks to their satisfaction and they have accepted the terms. I am sure Billy will pay his crime to the state. I am also sure he will pay his crime to his consciousness whatever that may be.

He pays the victims to their satisfaction and then the state, thats good enough for me whether its Lane, Indian Larry or anyone else.

I will also say, it’s easy to be sanctimonious on the internet about DUI and what’s right and wrong. Just do it knowing on average 1/3 of the registered users on just this forum have also committed the crime at one time and had just as much chance to kill someone as Billy did that day. Luck doesn’t make you a better person.
I'm not religious, but in the eyes of the Lord, they are not different. However, in the eyes of law, they are.

Indian Larry robbed banks for money. Billy Lane is being charged with DUI manslaughter. They are different and will result in different punishments.

Should people support Billy after his debts are paid? That's up to the individual. Initially, I think that people are going to say they shouldn't support him, because he didn't pay back enough and that too much of his debt was forgiven. They won't support him based on that fact.

I will support him based on the character that I see when his debts are paid. I used to think he was an ok guy. This last season of BBO, he came off as an arrogant punk. I know some of that is for TV, but it kinda turned me off. I saw his DVD, Blood Sweat and Gears, and was touched. It was definately a touchy feely experience. But how much of that was for TV. For me, I'll just wait until after he is done and I meet him.

Mike

Old 08-23-2007, 12:18 PM
05lux
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: dynamike74

Florida law aside, I'm not out to blame the victim or defend Billy's case. But driving impaired slows your reaction time. So maybe if he wasn't drunk he could have avoided the accident? I would rather drive off the road than be hit head on by a truck.

Yes, he was also impaired -> http://www.brainbucketmag.com/News/article/sid=730.html or http://www.americanbikernews.com/New...e/sid=730.html

Florida law focuses on who caused the accident, so that should be irrelevant in court. You also have to keep in mind that Billy crossed a double yellow line to pass two vehicles after dark before he hit Gerry. Gerry wouldn't have had a chance no matter what state he was in

Old 08-23-2007, 12:28 PM
RoaDRage
Banned

ORIGINAL: 05lux

Did I read correctly that the person that was killed was also driving drunk? Sad to hear of anyone killed on the road but it's hard to feel as bad for him if that's true.
Irrelevant if he had alcohol in his system. Doesn't mean it's ok to kill him. This is a diversion by lane's high-power attorneys.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:29 PM
RoaDRage
Banned

ORIGINAL: BrockRKC06

Luck doesn’t make you a better person.
It does if luck keeps people from getting killed.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:44 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: RoaDRage

Did I read correctly that the person that was killed was also driving drunk? Sad to hear of anyone killed on the road but it's hard to feel as bad for him if that's true.
Irrelevant if he had alcohol in his system. Doesn't mean it's ok to kill him. This is a diversion by lane's high-power attorneys.
Morelock's BAC was .133. Florida limit is .08. He was legally drunk.

Still irrelevant though. Since Lane hit Morelock while he was over a double yellow line and speeding places him at fault. Morelock could've been doing a nude jig in the middle of the road. It wouldn't matter.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:48 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member

Florida law aside, I'm not out to blame the victim or defend Billy's case. But driving impaired slows your reaction time. So maybe if he wasn't drunk he could have avoided the accident? I would rather drive off the road than be hit head on by a truck.

ORIGINAL: dynamike74

Yes, he was also impaired -> http://www.brainbucketmag.com/News/article/sid=730.html or http://www.americanbikernews.com/New...e/sid=730.html

Florida law focuses on who caused the accident, so that should be irrelevant in court. You also have to keep in mind that Billy crossed a double yellow line to pass two vehicles after dark before he hit Gerry. Gerry wouldn't have had a chance no matter what state he was in
From the way I understand the area where this occured a sober man would not have been able to see Billy passing those other two vehicles in time to avoid the accident.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:43 PM
05lux
Intermediate

You have more facts about the case than I do so I can respect you opinion. But any sober person in any situation dealing with driving has more of a chance of surviving or avoiding a accident than a drunk. Even if it is a slim chance. I'm just saying Drunk driving is drunk driving, and in that respect they were both wrong.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:47 PM
modeluxe
Banned

[sm=guilty.gif]Lane is garbage who has already revealed his character. He could have manned up to his crime and sent some of his lawyer money to the family. Turns out, he can do the crime but he can't do the time. Lane is a poser and his bikes were nothing special. [sm=guilty.gif]

Old 08-23-2007, 01:50 PM
modeluxe
Banned

You have more facts about the case than I do so I can respect you opinion. But any sober person in any situation dealing with driving has more of a chance of surviving or avoiding a accident than a drunk. Even if it is a slim chance. I'm just saying Drunk driving is drunk driving, and in that respect they were both wrong.
And those of you bleeding-heart billy fans who continue to ride his leg on this, and trying to shift the blame to the victim, [:'(] you make me wanna puke

Old 08-23-2007, 01:51 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks! I appreciate that. I also respect your opinion, but I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

For me, if Morelock were driving down the road drunk and Lane pulled up next to him waving a gun, then shot it at him (not meaning to intentionally hit him) and it and killed him, would Morelock be at fault? To me the scenario is the same.

Quick Reply: Billy Lane Appears in Court