General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's a Fair Price for this Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2022 | 01:08 PM
OddJack
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by AJSHOVEL
Brother, from what I'm reading, you would do yourself well to learn A LOT more about Shovelheads, the changes throughout the years, what fit what, what's OEM, etc.
I know it's hard when you didn't grow up around them, but it's knowledge you need, IMHO.
I am learning from the likes of you and Twizted and the rest and I am thankful. Why else would I be here and ask you guys.

The bike in first post and the rest of bikes are out of question now.

Someone suggested FX series and it seems to be a good platform to build on.

I am not sure if this one is FX, but seems like it has the right type frame.

Regardless of price, looks good

https://offerup.com/item/detail/1367608254

Old 09-17-2022 | 01:11 PM
pgreer
Stellar HDF Member

From my experience, Shovel engines can be reliable and perform well considering the original design is from the mid ish 1960's. The 4 speed ratchet top transmissions were very reliable, but then again, the factory Shovel had about 55-60 HP. With a Shovel that is frame mounted and vibrate, you will need to spend more time performing routine maintenance, like checking fasteners to be sure bolts and nuts aren't coming lose in the middle of a ride. And, the rocker arm geometry that pushes the valve stem sideways before down and causes premature valve guide wear, meaning the guides and valves will likely need to be replaced every few years, depending on how much you ride it. Or be prepared for some oil consumption and smoke on decel when the intake guides wear.

S&S makes rockerboxes that corrects the rocker arm geometry problem, but it's not a cheap upgrade. And then, what is the end game for the bike? If you have room in the garage, lots of money and free time to throw at it, then what the heck.

I rode a 1976 AMF Supergilde all over the country, west coast, most of Texas and Sturgis a few times too. It was not a trailer queen, always ridden where ever I took it. But Shovels are not designed as well when compared to EVO's and later. Although there were a few early Twin Cams that were not the best either.

Can it be a fun bike, yes. But you should be prepared to treat it like it is a 40 plus year old machine with a carburetor that can be cantankerous. When you are looking at these bikes and they claim low mileage, look carefully at the speedometer to verify it is a OEM speedo. Lots of people put one together from parts, or replace the speedo with a new aftermarket one and pus a few thousand miles on it and claim low mileage. Or they just don't know and are going by what they see. Also be aware that titles usually have the mileage from the previous sale, so check the mileage on the speedo against what is shown on the title.

Paul

The following users liked this post:
OddJack (09-17-2022)
Old 09-17-2022 | 01:19 PM
OddJack
|
Road Warrior

Thanks Paul,

Are all FX shovels Frame mounted?

Old 09-17-2022 | 01:21 PM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by OddJack
I am learning from the likes of you and Twizted and the rest and I am thankful. Why else would I be here and ask you guys.

FX or FL really makes little difference. You can mix and match parts between the two....basically the same frame.

The one in your link would have to be very cheap to get my attention.

The following 2 users liked this post by AJSHOVEL:
OddJack (09-17-2022), TwiZted Biker (09-17-2022)
Old 09-17-2022 | 01:23 PM
OddJack
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by AJSHOVEL
FX or FL really makes little difference. You can mix and match parts between the two....basically the same frame.

The one in your link would have to be very cheap to get my attention.
The letter after FX makes no difference (S,E, R), but if it's FL and then T its a different frame. See, model names are confusing.

AJSHOVEL (09-17-2022)
Old 09-17-2022 | 01:34 PM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member

The letter after FX makes no difference (S,E, R), but if it's FL and then T its a different frame. See, model names are confusing.
Only when ya don't know, lol.

TwiZted Biker (09-17-2022)
Old 09-17-2022 | 01:50 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

$5000 bike, not a dime more and it's got problems I can see already, that kicker arm should be in the 11 o'clock position not leaning forward like that for starters.

OddJack (09-17-2022)
Old 09-17-2022 | 02:01 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Old 09-17-2022 | 02:14 PM
Professor Fate
Tourer
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Post # 1 1980 FLT bike frame.

Post # 11 1980 FLH bike frame./

Getting what we've been telling you yet ?
The shovel frame is missing the floor board tab on the right so its either an FX frame or it was cut off. FL and FX frames are nearly identical though.

Old 09-17-2022 | 02:29 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by Professor Fate
The shovel frame is missing the floor board tab on the right so its either an FX frame or it was cut off. FL and FX frames are nearly identical though.
Semantics, pictures were to make a point about the radical difference between the frame styles, details are far beyond the OP's grasp at this point.

Quick Reply: What's a Fair Price for this Harley?