General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I cancel my extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2022, 05:54 AM
JINKSTER
Road Master
Received 882 Likes on 438 Posts
Default Can I cancel my extended warranty?

I purchased/financed my new '22 FLHCS 114 about 6 weeks ago and sprung for the 4 year extended warranty that added about $28 a month to my payments and I'm so disappointed with the whole "Screaming Eagle Only" and the "Only We Service Your Bike" or your warranty is void deal that I wish I hadn't signed up for the extended warranty so my question is probably obvious by now and here it is...

"Can I Cancel That Extended Warranty and knock that $28 charge back off my payments?" (cause I now know I'm going to void it at some point)

Figured I'd query you folks first to save myself any further embarrassment (besides banging the gong) at the dealership.

Old 08-12-2022, 06:11 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,141 Likes on 3,667 Posts

Haven’t you seen the new FTC ruling on HD. But yes you can cancel and get your money back.

The following users liked this post:
JINKSTER (08-12-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 06:12 AM
scottbob99
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Are you looking to mod the bike so it voids the warranty or is the $28 a month killing you?

Old 08-12-2022, 06:45 AM
JINKSTER
Road Master

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Haven’t you seen the new FTC ruling on HD. But yes you can cancel and get your money back.
Yes...I've seen and read the FTC Ruling but it still leaves lots of loopholes for the moco to void such as?...I like to do my own maintenance and have been doing my own maintenance on every bike I've owned over the last 5 decades including all fluids, tune-ups etc and have my own full length lift and shop manual but?...I'm not a "HD Certified" mech so?...and I know that no dealership mech is going to put the same level of diligence into maintaining my bike as I would for instance?...I took itv in for it's 1K mile servicing (which I negotiated free of charge into the purchase agreement) and of the 20 or so boxes they checked?....one was "Lubricate Jiffy-Stand"...and got it back dry as a bone so?...what other boxes did they check and not do?...yet my warranty would still be void (despite the FTC's lip service) if I changed my own oil?...because I'm not an "HD Certified" mech. At least that's the way I read that murky middle ground between the moco's policy and the FTC's latest ruling.

Originally Posted by scottbob99
Are you looking to mod the bike so it voids the warranty or is the $28 a month killing you?
In the short term?...no...I'm not looking to mod the bike bike..."yet"...but if I do I don't want SE street cannons for pipes and would by far prefer either V&H or Rinehardt and for a fraction of the price and to get real honest here?...it's a principle thing...I ain't down with the moco dictating to me what I can and can't put on my bike so why pay for that sort of dictatorial BS?...(just the way I feel about it)

Windseeker (09-06-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 06:50 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,608 Likes on 2,727 Posts

You can cancel your ESP and receive a pro-rated refund, but your loan is your loan, those payments won't change.

The following 4 users liked this post by Keithhu:
BrandonSmith (08-12-2022), Cogswell (08-15-2022), Redbeard (09-07-2022), Stiggy (08-12-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 07:09 AM
JINKSTER
Road Master

Originally Posted by Keithhu
You can cancel your ESP and receive a pro-rated refund, but your loan is your loan, those payments won't change.
So are you saying they'll cut me a check for the full amount of the warranty (minus the pro-rated 6 weeks coverage) however the payments remain the same?...if so?...I'm real cool with that whether I plop it into the next simple interest payment or bank it or?...turn it into a Stage !! kit! LOL!

Old 08-12-2022, 07:14 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,608 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by JINKSTER
So are you saying they'll cut me a check for the full amount of the warranty (minus the pro-rated 6 weeks coverage) however the payments remain the same?...if so?...I'm real cool with that whether I plop it into the next simple interest payment or bank it or?...turn it into a Stage !! kit! LOL!
Yes. I did this when I traded a bike in.

JINKSTER (08-12-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 07:19 AM
JINKSTER
Road Master

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Yes. I did this when I traded a bike in.
Good to know and thank you very much!

Old 08-12-2022, 07:19 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Two recommendations:

1. Cal HD's ESP# & ask this question as they're best suited to provide accurate answer on payment/financing impact.
2. Get ahold of Jim Palmer (HDF member & Motorcycle Agent rep) who can get you cheaper/better coverage + allows any mod you desire.

@Jim Palmer - MotorcycleAgent.com

The following 2 users liked this post by Iceman24:
JINKSTER (08-12-2022), luckiestiff (08-12-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 07:23 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,365 Likes on 2,540 Posts

Originally Posted by JINKSTER
yes, you can cancel the esp. and if you do it soon enough (i think it's 60 days and no claims), you will get a full refund. wait too long and it'll be prorated. but as mentioned, the check won't come to you. it will go to your lender. so your payments will stay the same, but your term will be shortened a couple of payments.

you do not have to have hd perform your services in order to maintain the esp. the only stipulation really is that you do the services on time. if you skip 5k, 10k and 15k and then have a problem, well, they'lll probably deny the claim. but that would be if your oil is obviously old. i have never had to 'prove' that i've done my services. i've also only had to use the esp a couple of times. once for inner primary bearing, and once for leaking shocks.

also, it's common sense that if you replace an oem part with a high performance aftermarket part, if there is an issue down the road, the esp will not cover it.

Last edited by skratch; 08-12-2022 at 07:26 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by skratch:
JINKSTER (08-12-2022), luckiestiff (08-12-2022)

Quick Reply: Can I cancel my extended warranty?