General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What makes a custom

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 01:55 PM
ve9aa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 399 Posts

99% of bikes are not CUSTOM......they're personalized....with bolt on, or bolt in, replacement/aftermarket parts.
i don't care if you've bored out your 883 Sportster to 1450cc;'s, it's not REALLY a custom.

A completely overused word.

Same as on TV I hear all the time "you're my hero" Pffffffffff, there are so few of those people around. Maybe some soldiers and firefighters but not 99% of folks who claim to be a hero.

Old 07-25-2022, 02:10 PM
DesertRKC
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
I think a lot of people confuse the words custom and customized. I would say adding an air cleaner, some pipes, some grips or pegs would make a bike customized to that owner and their tastes.
But in my mind a custom bike has some custom paint, maybe a chopped frame and fenders, or hand fabricated parts. Buying parts and hanging them on a bike doesnt make a custom.
Solid response. "Custom" is subjective and open to interpretation by the individual. As many skulls and spikes as possible seems pretty custom to me.

Old 07-25-2022, 02:50 PM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,887 Likes on 2,424 Posts

Its easy - If it falls within my skill level or I can buy the part in a catalog, its not custom.

The following 3 users liked this post by uncle kebo:
Crazy (07-25-2022), skratch (07-25-2022), TwiZted Biker (07-25-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 04:35 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 741 Likes on 410 Posts

I know my '09 Super Glide Custom is custom because it says so right in the model name.

The following 3 users liked this post by Reindeer:
BelchFire (07-26-2022), Crazy (07-25-2022), TwiZted Biker (07-25-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 05:39 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by uncle kebo
Its easy - If it falls within my skill level or I can buy the part in a catalog, its not custom.
I like that. I've got a similar definition for "vintage." If I can remember that model year car or bike when it was new, it's not vintage.

Originally Posted by Reindeer
I know my '09 Super Glide Custom is custom because it says so right in the model name.

For me your bike is custom, because for me any bike thay's had the frame cut and welded is custom.

I remember a guy here on the forum who's signature was "If it said custom when you bought it, it isn't."

Old 07-25-2022, 07:00 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,356 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Originally Posted by ve9aa

Same as on TV I hear all the time "you're my hero" Pffffffffff, there are so few of those people around. Maybe some soldiers and firefighters but not 99% of folks who claim to be a hero.
my opinion, if you claim to be a hero, you probably aren't....

The following users liked this post:
ve9aa (07-25-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 06:52 AM
BelchFire
Club Member
Received 5,156 Likes on 1,947 Posts

For the most part, I agree with you guys about bolt-on parts and catalog shopping. A custom rifle might have a non-standard stock with the drop at heel or length of pull modified to a particular shooter. I would expect a bike to have similar changes if it were truly customized. However there is another angle that is legit .....

Originally Posted by 0maha
I should let this thread die, but a thought popped into my head on the ride in this morning:

The irony of this stuff (using the word "custom" in a used bike ad) is that at least for guys like me, that is probably the most negative word you could use.

For me, shopping for a used bike (and I'm not personally interested in anything that's not at least 25 years old), the ideal example is one that is 100% factory stock. Every single deviation from that is a negative. In the real world, you always have to accept some modifications, but the fewer the better.

If I see the word "custom" in an ad, I move on.
Then you'd miss out on a good clean Super Glide if I ever list mine, because as Reindeer said .......

Originally Posted by Reindeer

My Super Glide is an FXDC; Super Glide Custom. I've often wondered what feature(s) Harley Davidson added in order to call it a custom. It has factory two-tone paint; perhaps that's all. I really don't know. It's fairly stock, except for the 10" bars and risers that it had when I bought it used and I plan to leave it that way. I didn't call it custom, Harley Davidson did. I'm not trying to be argumentative or obstinate in the least; I would welcome your factual knowledge about the feature(s) that Harley Davidson added in order to call these bikes customs.

Old 07-26-2022, 05:42 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,208 Likes on 2,886 Posts
Old 07-26-2022, 08:09 PM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,844 Likes on 957 Posts

Hmmm. . . seems pretty simple?
- Modified = Bolted or glued on parts or changes.
- Custom = A cutting torch, welder, and or paint was used!

Last edited by Calif Fat Bob; 07-26-2022 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-27-2022, 06:12 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,307 Likes on 6,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man

Sorry, thats not a custom, it's a custard bike. Pronounced cus-turd. With emphasis on the turd.

Quick Reply: What makes a custom