General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dirt road

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 10:56 PM
skid jackson
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirt road

a little off topic maybe but certainly hd related

So I'm looking at houses to buy. i find a cracker box cape on 3 acresbuilt in 1983 for 275K. Probably needs about 20 k to make it pretty sweet. It just happens to abut a rail trail that is part of the state snowmobile system. I could literally ride from my back yard up to quebec, then over to alaska if I wanted to. Not a bad perk. no dirtbikes tho. Said rail trail is also part of an extensive local mt bike trail system. So down the road it would appeal to a young yuppie mtb couple if you were selling it. So whats the catch?? It's down about a mile of dirt road. So You get to hear stones clanging off your truck body or worse say a nice beemer should you want something for when the truck won't do. Worse yet ... when you get onto the interstate and run it up to 70 mph you get to hear stones imbeded into the tire tread go firing into the body work making very loud unsettlingbangs!! Not too mention that the harley would be forever cover in dust simply from riding from the house to pavement. Worse I found out that the town asked if the people on the road wanted it paved and they said no. Thought it would make it a short cut and increase traffic so it will likely never get paved.

The sled access is a real bonus but thats weather dependant. I'm going to spend a lot more time on that dirt road listening to stones bounce off my body paint than I will riding my sled out the back yard. And while I'm not the most appearance conciuos person, having an almost permant layer of dust on the back end of my bike seems a bit bothersome. Plus I will spend a lot more time actually living in and with the house then I will sledding from it. I'm going to see if they will take 250k. If they will I would have to give it some serious thought. Even tho I grew up out in the sticks around dirt roads ... personally .... given a choice ... it's pavement all the way.

What do you think ... would you get hung up overthe dirt road.
Location is NH, winter is a 50/50 deal. Good year you could sled from dec 1 to march 30. Most likely its jan 1 to march 1 to 15th. Last three winters have sucked. not much local sledding. [align=right][/align]

Old 08-14-2007, 11:41 PM
vabubba
Tourer
Default RE: Dirt road

I just purchased 18 acres here in Central Virginia. It unfortunately is 1 1/2 mile of dirt road and we are at the end of it, along with the South Anna river and about 900 acres of pine. I gladly traded that for my 2 acre, 1800 sq. ft. rancer. Our house is currently on the market and I (we) can't wait to move out there and start building our house. In other words, our privacy is more important to us than clean vehicles. I guess it's a personal choice. Sounds like to me your ready to get back in the sticks. Good Luck!!

Bubba

Old 08-14-2007, 11:44 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would even bother goin if it were a dirt road,,,,, hows the power outages,, bet your last to get back on

Old 08-14-2007, 11:47 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

My wife wont let me take the dirt road[:@]

Old 08-14-2007, 11:48 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

she dont????? hmmmmm I had no probs!!!

Old 08-14-2007, 11:49 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: electaRICK

she dont????? hmmmmm I had no probs!!!
Yeah, but after the first 2" it's still all virgin.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:58 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

ok,,,,ok,,,, but tastes like chicken

Old 08-14-2007, 11:59 PM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This turned from a dirty topic to a filthy one ... I love it.

Actually, my wife and I just bought some land about 2 miles off the main road (gravel all the way in), but we're not planning on building there for 10 or so more years. I did think about the bike a lot when I was making the decision to buy, and when it came right down to it I decided that it would be worth it to have that type of land. But as I said, the building and living on the land is probably 10 years down the road ... so now it's got me thinking about whether I'd still buy if I had planned on living on it now.

Yeah, I think I would, especially if it's a nice piece (back to filthy again) and you are getting a good deal.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:19 AM
sfarson
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skid... If you really like the place don't let the one mile of dirt/gravel get in the way. I have a mile to the nearest pavement with 1/2 mile being my driveway. I ride year round through all kinds of nasty conditions, and the bike handles it just fine. Never a belt broken, never a rock chip from a flung pebble, yes some dust on occasion but Swiffer or a leaf blower will blow it off. To me, worth it for the nature, the scenery, etc.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:47 AM
skid jackson
Cruiser

Thanks for the replies.
The location istself is not really in the country. It's part of a bedroom community and the dirt road is this last vestige of the small town it use to be that some residents don't seem to want to let go. So It's not like you get all the benefits of being in the country along with a dirt road. Basically it's a dirt road in suburbia. Still thinking about it tho.

Quick Reply: Dirt road