General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Flooring Ideas/Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2023, 01:00 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,458 Likes on 2,781 Posts

Anybody done one of these floors on an old, uneven and oil stained concrete slab? Epoxy, polished or the snap together tiles.

Old 11-03-2023, 01:37 PM
GOGOBECK
Road Warrior
Received 790 Likes on 424 Posts

All epoxy floors are not created equal.

I used polyurea. It works like epoxy but requires no mixing and is claimed to be superior to epoxy. I think it more chemical resistant than epoxy.

The biggest difference I learned is full coverage vinyl flake makes for a much tougher floor than the “just for looks” scattered flake. That applies to both epoxy and polyurea.

I did grey/black/white flakes… finding a dropped fastener can be time consuming,
drop a c-clip forget about it!

Old 11-03-2023, 02:11 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,054 Likes on 17,933 Posts

Originally Posted by Architect
Anybody done one of these floors on an old, uneven and oil stained concrete slab? Epoxy, polished or the snap together tiles.
Just described my garage when I bought this place, old owner was a motorhead and the floor showed it. Dig out the bigger cracks get a stainless steel pool brush, used a commercial grade caustic garage floor cleaner and scrubbed it down twice, get mean on it. Next used muriatic acid you use for swimming pools, scrubbed the floor again and rinse very thoroughly, hot water from the water heater as a last rinse. This etches the concrete and raises any deep oil stains. Dry for a few days, warm dry weather is best. I used a mix epoxy for the bigger cracks, left the small tight ones alone, the floor coating if heavy enough will seal those.

Don't bother with the box store epoxies, find a commercial supplier like Grainger or Sherwin Williams and get the commercial grade 2 part 1 to 1 mix heavy epoxy . Did mine in the gloss light gray. Did this in 2008 and the floor still looks great and it gets the traffic. Being one color no issues finding the small stuff when it falls, the speckled floor while looking nice it's a bitch finding hardware on. Only thing I suggest is do a non slip with some grit, mine can get slippery with some shoe soles.

There were few fair sized cracks before these.

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 11-03-2023 at 02:12 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
470004 (01-12-2024), Architect (11-06-2023), Cosmic Razorback (11-03-2023)
Old 11-04-2023, 06:57 AM
Damagelnc
Cruiser
Received 105 Likes on 45 Posts

I have this from New Age flooring. Been a few months, so far so good.

LVT Flooring - NewAge Products (shopnewage.com)

The following 2 users liked this post by Damagelnc:
470004 (01-12-2024), Tony P (01-13-2024)
Old 11-04-2023, 07:41 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
For a "working garage", defined, as jack lifting, dropped bolts, fluid drainage.... I would be incline not to use Plastic tiles.
For the weekend warrior I don’t think there’s any issues with plastic tiles. Just simply keep things cleaned up.
I do always put down a drip pan to catch any fluid that seems to stray and finding drop bolts has never been an issue.

As for jacking a vehicle; that is something you have to think about because let’s face it you’re putting weight on a small surface on a plastic tile.
I built 14” x 14” jack pads out of three-quarter inch plywood that I put my jacks on which spreads the pressure out.

I only use the jack pads for lifting heavy vehicles not when lifting my Heritage or my Freewheeler.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bluraven:
470004 (01-12-2024), Architect (11-06-2023)
Old 11-04-2023, 11:42 AM
TheMurf
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,969 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Default Garage Floor

As stated above there are better garage flooring solutions than epoxy coating.
Penntek Industrial Coatings system, is four times stronger than epoxy products, because it actually bonds with the concrete surface rather than merely resting on top of it. multilayer polyurea coatings seals, protects. Our garage looks like a showroom..

The following users liked this post:
470004 (01-12-2024)
Old 11-04-2023, 12:52 PM
GOGOBECK
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TheMurf
Penntek Industrial Coatings system, is four times stronger than epoxy products, because it actually bonds with the concrete surface rather than merely resting on top of it. multilayer polyurea coatings seals, protects. Our garage looks like a showroom..

I had an epoxy floor and it was a huge upgrade over bare concrete.
My polyurea floor with full coverage flake is a huge upgrade over the epoxy floor.

Old 11-04-2023, 02:19 PM
TheMurf
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,969 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Default Garage Floor

GoGoBeck, Your floor is basically the same as ours. I waited for years to find something that would repair our floor. It came out beautifully. Money well invested.

Old 11-04-2023, 03:15 PM
GOGOBECK
Road Warrior

I had some leftovers, so I coated my porch speakers lol

Old 11-04-2023, 03:24 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,054 Likes on 17,933 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMurf

Originally Posted by GOGOBECK
I had an epoxy floor and it was a huge upgrade over bare concrete.
My polyurea floor with full coverage flake is a huge upgrade over the epoxy floor.
Nice flooring but it'd be a nightmare when that little E-clip bounces off, get barefoot only way it'll ever get found again.

Quick Reply: Garage Flooring Ideas/Suggestions