General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 11:08 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,015 Posts

Originally Posted by Pugslycat01
I learned the same hard lesson the same hard way. I had bought a 2007 XL1200C that still had the factory rubber in 2018. I didn't even think of checking the date code for the first 4K miles I was riding the bike. Now it's something I will check on any bike that I ever buy. If I had caught it before the sale I would have asked them to change the tires, but would have asked for a significant discount on the tires and the dealer paying for the mounting.
Exactly. The time to do this is during the price negotiation. That’s the time to ask for new tires as part of the deal, either thrown in or at a discount. After the sale it’s not likely to happen unless you’re already a good customer, and not always then.

Old 06-10-2022, 01:57 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Talk to the dealer about it. They may offer some relief. You can also check local laws. I've heard some states don't allow dealers to sell vehicles with tire beyond a certain age limit.
I've had bikes with tires that old. Seems like they wore out fairly quickly and sometimes cracks appeared shortly after I started using them.
Most dealers charge more foe labor than the tires cost. Some shops have a discounted rate if you bring in just the rims.
If you are a DIY type tires and tools will set you back $300-400.

Old 06-10-2022, 02:54 PM
Cap77
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,187 Likes on 2,642 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
I've heard some states don't allow dealers to sell vehicles with tire beyond a certain age limit.
possibly now?
But all I could find was an article from 2008 in SF.
You'd think if any state had regs, they would

https://abc7news.com/archive/6133554/

There are no laws or regulations prohibiting the sale of tires manufactured more than six years ago, but both safety experts and many vehicle manufacturers recommend against using any tire older than six years

..L.T.A.

Old 06-10-2022, 03:04 PM
fskitch
Road Master
Received 382 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Fndoug
So I bought my first bike, a 2015 switchback from a Harley dealer in San Diego. A buddy was checking her out and noticed the tires are dated 2014. Is it common for a dealer to sell a bike with 8 year old tires on it. Their websites service department recommends to replace tires at the 5 year mark regardless of miles. There is small stress cracks in between the treads and now I’m hesitant to ride her. Do I notch it up as lesson learned and go buy tires or do I go raise hell. Sucks I’ve had the bike a month, made 1 payment and have to get new tires. Thanks for listening.
Maybe it says ‘as is’ on the paperwork but isn’t there a check list the dealer provided showing all safety items were functioning at the time of sale? Sounds like the dealer didn’t check the tire dates to me. If there is a safety check sheet or some sort of pre sale check offs the dealer provided, he may be on the hook.

Old 06-10-2022, 03:24 PM
Ranger Rick
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

No matter what happens with the dealer do yourself a huge favor and put new rubber! Remember safety first your family wants you home safe! I'm sure it wasn't the plan to buy new tires, but the peace of mind is priceless! My last four bikes were in great condition with very low miles, but I knew I wouldn't enjoy my ride with used tires!
be safe!

Old 06-10-2022, 03:25 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,782 Likes on 11,579 Posts

It’s irresponsible for the dealer to sell a bike with expired tires. Tires are considered expired after 5 years. And there is a potential liability. I would not ride the bike any further than the dealer to ask for them to replace them. If they don’t take care of you, don’t use them for anything in the future. Make your next stop at 8 Ball Tires. I only deal with them for my Mc tires.

Last edited by TriGeezer; 06-10-2022 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-10-2022, 03:41 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 513 Likes on 357 Posts

I've seen used bikes at dealerships where the front tire (the visible one) is good and the rear
with the sidewall all nice n' clean and they're on the wear bars.
Those guys will hose you any way they can

Old 06-11-2022, 09:33 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

yes. yes, they will. i know i've traded in a bike before that the tires were 'just that close' to needing replaced and they dinged me on trade in value for their cost at replacing tires.

Old 06-11-2022, 11:40 AM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,253 Likes on 1,757 Posts

Aside from the tires. its a 7 yr old bike. Did it sit the past 7 yrs. What's the mileage and do you have the maintenance records?
You may have a lot to do besides the tires if the dealer didn't prep anything else.

I had a 2012 Switchback, fun bike, Enjoy!

Old 06-11-2022, 12:03 PM
Tired
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,805 Likes on 1,757 Posts

You didn't check them before you bought them, it's on you. Go buy some tires and ride your motorcycle.

The following users liked this post:
Madison Bill (06-11-2022)

Quick Reply: Old tires