Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap helmet recommendation....

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 09:09 AM
jrudicel
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cheap helmet recommendation....

Been reading some old archives and figure i will ask again... What is a good cheap motorcycle helmet? I hate helmets for one, and believe it should be a choice....but am heading to TN for the Hog rally and they have helmet law... Other than a trip somewhere like that, it wont be worn, so dont want to spend a fortune on something for once in a while..
What some suggestions? Looking at the 1/2 style or MAYBE a 3/4..but leaning towards a 1/2. Problem is most look like a mushroom head. Eyed a couple of those flat black cheap German style type as well...
Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:14 AM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Cheap helmet recommendation....

Borrow one.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:17 AM
Finn111
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be able to buy a novelty for about $20. Or you could check Bell Helmet's websight and get a discountinued DOT model for around $50. It's you're head.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:24 AM
Navychief
Road Warrior

Lets see...Cheap protection for the most important part of your body??? If you are forced to wear a helmet, wear a good on. Wal-mart sells a DOT 1/2 helmet for about $35.00.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Go for the full face Darth Vader look! If you're like me, nobody will want to see your ugly mug while you're on the bike anyways!!

I have the Harley 1/2 helmet. It's ok, pretty decent as far as helmets go I guess. I also have a full face that I bought at a metric stealer for $100. It's heavy (why I don't wear it often), but it does the job too.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:11 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

ORIGINAL: jrudicel...What is a good cheap motorcycle helmet? I hate helmets for one, and believe it should be a choice....but am heading to TN for the Hog rally and they have helmet law...
Good and Cheapprobably should never be used in the same sentence when it comes to helmets.....You can purchase a 'cheap' helmet...That'll weigh a ton, be hot as hell, and buffet like crazy. Or you can spend the big bucks and pick up a Shoei (or other major mfg's)that won't.

That being said, you can probably pick up a 'novelty' helmet somewhere for under $50. Check on Craig's List, sometimes you can find a used 'real' helmet at a major discount...Although I draw the line at wearing a 'used helmet'....Sorta like buying underwear at Goodwill........

Be advised, that in most states that have helmet laws, a novelty helmet 'may' get you a ticket. And sidelined-as in you can't go any further. All depending on which side of the rock the LEO woke up on.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:18 AM
INDEPENDENTBIKEWORKS
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know what cheap is to you, but I recently bought an HJC half helmet for under 100$. Had to fix som rattle problems with the visor, but now I like it O.K.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:26 AM
hambone
Elite HDF Member

Something like these are always an option for you if cheap is what you want.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:50 AM
BWLucky13
Road Master

Lots of cheap helmets out there that are quite good. My old THH full face is really cheap, has good fit, liner, ventilation and visor mechanism. Last time I looked there were some of those same old models for 20 to 30 bucks on line. Plenty of 1/2 and 3/4 helmets in that same range. Price is not a problem. Getting a good fit is.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:54 AM
jrudicel
Road Captain

As usual....thanks for those of you that gave some intelligent and usefull info and comments like the Bell site and the HJC suggestion among others. Then of course there was the useless comments and silly pics... I expected as much. To each there own.
When I said cheap, I meant 100.00 or less.. Dont particularly want to spend 150-200.00 on something I will rarely use...but understand you get what you pay for as well.Definately want DOT to save the hassles from LEO's, and a used one is kinda out for the same reasons stated above...kinda like underwear..lol
Thanks again for the suggestions... I kinda liked the look of the Drifter on the Bell site...but heard they are more huge than looks in the pic? Will check out the HJC's now...
Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Cheap helmet recommendation....