General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

went to buy a new ultra today

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 11:15 PM
harleyd38464
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default went to buy a new ultra today

anyone ever heard of this??????????
went to my local hd dealer today ,ask about a bike guys says got one comeing priced it to me at m s r p plus 500 shipping
i ask if he would let me show my o3 as a trade to safe me on taxes...........we only pay taxes on diffrnece in tn
this guy sitting there with his feet on the desk ,says to me nope thats a felony ,,,,,,,,,,a crime an was a real *** about it
so much so that i swear ill never step back in the dealership again ever................if its against the law fine i can deal with that but he was a real jerk about it when i question him about if it were a felony or not ,im a car dealer an i do it all the time ...............this guy losta sale ,,if his owner had a clue how much of a jerk this guy was he would freak anybody ever heard of this law .............sure would love to prove this guy wrong ,,,,,,,thanks

great site btw

Old 08-13-2007, 11:21 PM
seikan1
Road Warrior
Default RE: went to buy a new ultra today

I would make it my goal to make sure the owner of the dealership knows what a jerk this guy is...Make sure that he knows that you went with the intention of buying...not just looking.

A felony??? I have never heard that. Every time I have ever traded vehicles, the dealers have done exactly that to pay taxes on difference....guess I am a felon too!

Old 08-13-2007, 11:51 PM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shoot, the dealers around here use the trade-in, tax thing as a selling point. And it works, too. You can save a few hundred $$ in sales tax by trading in, though you don't always get that good of a trade price. But if you figure you can add $300 to $900, depending on what you're trading and how much you get, then it can sure help.

Yeah, I'd say the owner needs to know what happened. I'd call a couple other dealers in your state to make sure the guy was BSing you then call the owner and tell him. Make sure the owner knows that jacka$$ just took profit out of his pocket.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:54 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I have never heard of such a thing.

Can some explain this to me in simple terms?

Old 08-14-2007, 05:12 AM
WaterHog
Road Captain

In Pa, its (Trade - New Ride = Taxable Amount)

Also each dealership by law is require to have 1 A-Hole on staff. I beleive this is a Federal requirement.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:15 AM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's the same way here in NY and NJ where I bought my new car last year. We paid tax on the difference between the trade and the selling price of the CRV, no crime, no felony, what a pile if BS. Take the time and tell the GM or owner of the dealership that they lost a sale because of this a-hole.

Waterhog is right, there does seem to be one in every dealership, car, motorcycle or otherwise.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:56 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

ORIGINAL: harleyd38464...i ask if he would let me show my o3 as a trade to safe me on taxes...........
Uh...Were you gonna actually trade in the 03? Or did you want him to 'fix the paperwork' to show that you traded in your 03? Big difference.

Oh, and in Michigan, Jenny wants all her tax money. New or Usedcar/motorcycle/etc....You pay 100% of the taxes regardless if you trade or not. Let's see 6% on a $25K vehicle....$1500.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:51 AM
bronk
Road Master

He is an idiot.You need to look at shopping somewhere where they have competent staff.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:11 AM
XXXRacing
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Hackd
Uh...Were you gonna actually trade in the 03? Or did you want him to 'fix the paperwork' to show that you traded in your 03? Big difference.
From what he said, that's what it sounds to me. Show trade on paperwork, but not actually trade a bike in on it. Let's cut the dealer some slack, looks like they were doing the right thing. Why would they put themselves at risk to save a customer some money illegally?

Old 08-14-2007, 07:23 AM
Fandango6
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: XXXRacing

ORIGINAL: Hackd
From what he said, that's what it sounds to me. Show trade on paperwork, but not actually trade a bike in on it. Let's cut the dealer some slack, looks like they were doing the right thing. Why would they put themselves at risk to save a customer some money illegally?
Hackd

Exactly, salesman might have acted like a jerk, but was right about not showing a trade he was not acually going to make. Your asking the dealership totake a chance on losing theirmotor vehicle licence or a fine just to save you a couple bucks? Get real.

Quick Reply: went to buy a new ultra today