General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trip to yellowstone

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007 | 08:26 PM
fruit
|
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trip to yellowstone

I am looking for some advice on things to see on my way out to Yellowstone national park I will be leaving WI on 9-8-07 and need to be home on 9-14-07 I will be going to the badlands also.any advice would be great.

Old 08-13-2007 | 08:50 PM
mtdave2
Cruiser
Default RE: trip to yellowstone

cant tell you much about the ride there, but i used to work in Yellowstone in the summers. and i have road there many times. the most important thing to remember is be very very careful. if there is ever a place to concentrate on your riding its there.

Poor roads, animals, freaking completely brain dead tourists, with the added distraction of you WANTING to look at the cool stuff around you = big danger. Working with the rangers a lot i cant tell you how many wreck stories i have heard. just keep that in mind.

stop a lot, pull way off the road if you can and then look at the grizzly bear chewing on the dumb tourist. lol. we called them tour-ons (moron tourests) for a reason!

Old 08-13-2007 | 09:52 PM
buttman
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You must do Beartooth pass to get into Yellowstone.

Old 08-13-2007 | 09:55 PM
mtdave2
Cruiser

i second that. amazing

Old 08-13-2007 | 10:10 PM
ROADRAGE98
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yep, if you are coming from the Badlands shift back to the North come into Redlodge from the Southeastand up the Beartooth. Keep going on the Chief Joseph Highway into Cody, then into the Northeast gate. There is some construction here so be careful. As always in the park be patient, lots of traffic and RV's.

Old 08-13-2007 | 11:33 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

Don't miss seeing the Tetons either. The south gate of Yellowstone is the north gate to Grand Teton Nat'l park. Jackson, WY is not far either. Cool town. The museum in Cody is also really cool as is the nightly gun fight show. Cooke City is also a pretty neat place to stop. It has a real old west type feel and is just north of Yellowstone. If you ride the Beartooth, which you MUST do, you will eventually run through Cooke City, then Silver Gate, then the park.

In all honesty, that area changed my perspective on riding and parts of life. Truly an amazing part of the country.

Old 08-13-2007 | 11:43 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Beartooth Pass, Chief Joseph Highway, Grand Tetons, Custer Battlefield, Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody, Wyo. Jackson Hole.

Bill

Old 08-14-2007 | 12:25 AM
High Gear
Outstanding HDF Member

Thats alot of ridin for only 6 days, I'd take 2 weeks if you could . Way to much to see

Old 08-14-2007 | 01:46 AM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

You better bring some warm clothing because it can get very cold that time of the year and sometimes even snow.

Old 08-14-2007 | 05:30 AM
fruit
|
Advanced

[quote]ORIGINAL: High Gear

Thats alot of ridin for only 6 days, I'd take 2 weeks if you could . Way to much to see
[/
quote]
i would like to take more time but i can not get off work that long i am happy with a week.

Quick Reply: trip to yellowstone