General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A question about shifting from a newbie...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 07:40 PM
AHVeil
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A question about shifting from a newbie...

While out for a ride this evening--my 3rd ever and 1st since passing the MSF course--I got a little discombobulated with my shifting, forgot what gear I was in, and ended up in way too high a gear (6th) for the speed I was going (35mph...YIKES!!!). Yes, I know, I'm. I was under control, but as you might imagine, my engine made the most horrible (and embarrassing) knocking/clunking sound. Poor bike.

Since my FXDB doesn't have a tach, it's been a tad difficult getting the shifting right. Like I said, I'm brand new at this, so my ears aren't as honed as some of you vets, and it doesn't help much that we never got out of 2nd in the MSF course! Anything over that and I start to lose track of things!!!

More importantly, downshifting has proven especially difficult. Is the proper technique to roll off the throttle to decrease engine speed, while braking, and then downshift all at once (say, from 4th to 1st)?One at a time, perhaps? Any tips from you pros would be much appreciated.

Hopefully this will come with time...though sooner rather than later! Who knows how much damage this incident has done to my bike already...ugh!

Sorry for the long post.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:42 PM
YUCK
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: A question about shifting from a newbie...

Keep jamming,,,you'll figure it out....

Old 08-13-2007, 08:01 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

normal rule of thumb is 10-15 mph for each gear.

ANd don't lug the gears. AFter awhile you will alwasys know what gear yopu are in

Old 08-13-2007, 08:05 PM
HDRoadKing007
Cruiser

As Yuck says keep hammering and it will come in time. As for the up shifting don't be afraid to whined the gears a bit these motors can take a beating. Plus it's a lot better to whine out a gear than to lug the transmission. Lugging the transmission is when you're in to high of a gear for the speed you're at. In sixth at 20 mph is a no no. Down shifting will come... just easy off the throttle, pull in the clutch, knock down a gear and easily release the clutch. You're owners manual will also give you some shifting guidelinesbut it's better to go by the sound and the feeling of the bike.

Happy Trails..........

Old 08-13-2007, 08:11 PM
YUCK
Road Warrior

If it lugs,,,,kick it down a gear,,,,if it wines grab a higher gear

And if u grab for 7gear,,,,slow down

Old 08-13-2007, 08:15 PM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

just listen to your motor. it will tell you when you should shift. the rev limiter will keep you from blowing it up!!!!!!LOL

Old 08-13-2007, 08:16 PM
Bug
Road Master

I'm no pro but, yeah, 6th is a tad high for 35 mph. You won't want to be in sixth until at least 65 mph.

As for downshifting, IMO its good to drop down the gears as I go in case I need to get going again right away.

As a general rule the new Harley's like to rev higher so its better to be in a bit lower gear than you need than higher so your throttle is more responsive. You can adjust your speed up or down without using the brake so much and you have that extra power you need to accelarate through curves.

You'll get there just take your time and ride within your limits. There is a lot to get your head around when you start out but as you get more experience some things just become second nature.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:19 PM
mtdave2
Cruiser

yep, you just know after a while.

the down shift thing for me, i have a habit of "blippin" the throttle right before i put in in the next lower gear. seems to help time things in the trany. so, pull in the clutch, open the throttle a bit quickly and then put it in the lower gear as the rpm are coming back down. make sense to anyone? i have always done this for some reason.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:20 PM
WolfDog
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Forget the Tach, LISTEN to the ENGINE.

Ever lay in bed at night and hear a Harley in the distance?? Sit on the patio and hear the same.

Listen to the Engine, it'll come to you[8D]

Ride safe and Ride Often.........

Old 08-13-2007, 08:23 PM
firemankrug
Outstanding HDF Member

I wouldn't worry so much about what gear your in as your riding, just listen to the sound of the engine to indicate if you need to up or down shift.You should be able to tell from the engine noise whether you are lugging or over revving the engine. The speed of the bike should also be a good indicator of what gear you should be in,althoughIMHO I think the shift speeds in the 07manual are a little low and tend to lug the engine. As far as down shifting for a stop; roll off the throttle while pulling in the clutch, start applying brakes and down shifting to get in 1st at thestop point, one gear at a time. You can let the clutch out at each lower gear to use engine compression to help you stop if you want or just keep in the clutch and use all brake friction, your choice.

Quick Reply: A question about shifting from a newbie...