General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEWS FLASH! NEWS FLASH!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 12:20 PM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: NEWS FLASH! NEWS FLASH!

Instead of titling this post NEWS FLASH! NEWS FLASH!, maybe it would have been better to title it "To those who don't own/ride HDs"?

I've seen the gung-ho answers by the site regulars, but I'm betting the audience that this was allegedly aimed at won't even read this . .

Old 08-14-2007, 12:20 PM
SiLlY
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If she fealt offended by it.. then the post was meant for her kind. Other than being an "attention <censored - you know what>", perhaps she needs to grow some thicker skin. In my opinion.. she made the thin skin evident in the Cali threads. I am not here to cater to anyones needs. I didn't come here to get catered too either. I came here under the assumption that this was a HARLEY forum. As expected... at an HD forum, thick skin would be needed. This whining **** is making me want to puke.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:22 PM
zombie
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: whaap

ORIGINAL: TM

I can understand where Beverly (Bluerose) is coming from. I believe it totally appropriate for a moderator to come on here as a member and voice their opinion on any topic at any time. However, the posting by TM was not as a member of the forum but rather was voiced as a moderator and after reading his post I felt offended that I was being scolded, talked down to. I guess I'm one of the group that has to grow a thicker skin.
Why would you feel scolded whaap?Does the thread apply to you? Do you get easily offendedwhen you read a post directed at someone else with a disparaging remark about another brand of motorcycle? Does it really bother you when you know that your on a Harley forum and someone post something unflattering about another brand? If you do, let me ask you this: When you visit the other forum that is brand specific do you get equally as offended when they bash Harley? Did they laugh you off the board when you complained about it? Oh you say you would never expect them to make an exception just to spare your feelings. Not putting words in your mouth but I would imagine any adult with common sense would understand that.
No , I don't feel the thread applies to me. Also, I don't go to other motorcycle forums so how can I be offended or laughed off their forum?

An example of your behavior thatwent against my grainwas you had no difficulty bashing Bluerose on the open forum but then you suggested that if she had anything else to say to you that she should pm you. Why didn't you put your remarks to her in a pm instead of on the forum?

I think it's a case of it being o.k. to disagree. If this is our biggest problem, we got it made!!
Holy hell there've been a lot of posts in the minute it took me to write up my previous post.

I would agree with you under normal circumstances Whaap, but in this case the original post was somewhat condescendingtoward TM and his position.

Here's where I think things get tricky, I would never call out another member of the forum (anyone for that matter) and not expect reprecussions. If I (not as a mod, but as a member) made any type of disparaging comments towards another member, I would expect to take the full blast of any rebuttal.

One can say that we should take the high ground, but when my opinion / stance is questioned openingly (without some semblance of respect)I find it difficult to not reply in kind.

In other words, call me an *** hole on the forums (standard disclaimer...no one has), and expect me to come back full bore...respect my stance (feel free to argue it respectfully) and I'll return in kind.

In my opinion it has nothing to do with positions of power (mod vs member) and everything to do with respect (and yes...as a member of that whole human being thing...I'm not infallible...I f up at times too...standard disclaimer).

Agree to disagree

Old 08-14-2007, 12:24 PM
zombie
Banned

ORIGINAL: 3power

Instead of titling this post NEWS FLASH! NEWS FLASH!, maybe it would have been better to title it "To those who don't own/ride HDs"?

I've seen the gung-ho answers by the site regulars, but I'm betting the audience that this was allegedly aimed at won't even read this . .
C'mon 3power...we're dissecting minutia now. Would it have really mattered if we'd named it "superfralakajalisticexbealadocious"?

Old 08-14-2007, 12:27 PM
zombie
Banned

Maybe I was being a little too PC by using the term "offended". Pissed off would fit in just as well. Also, since I have never p.m.'d a moderator or administrator about anything (except village idiots )
I don't have an understaning of all the complaining that goes on behind closed doors. Perhaps future lectures, like TM's post,could be directed by p.m. to the offending pupils and not directed openly toward the whole class.

I'd agree with you to a point Whaap, but honestly...if we replied to every PM in regards to this matter, we'd never be out in the forums. Sometimes the problem is large enough we have to make a post to address the masses (even if it doesn't apply to you).

Honestly, if it doesn't apply to you then don't take it to heart...no different than a memo outlawing red staplers...if you use a black stapler, don't read any further

Old 08-14-2007, 12:29 PM
zombie
Banned

ORIGINAL: hambone

ORIGINAL: zombie

Honestly Whaap, I hope you’re kidding about being offended. There was nothing scolding or condescending about TM’s original post. We’ve had a rash of folks on this forum getting their feelings hurt because memberX said something derogatory about memberY’s (insert make/model year non-Harley). That’s primarily what the post is referring to.

All TM is saying is, this is first and foremost a Harley site; if you come here expecting complete acceptance of the brand of motorcycle you ride, don’t get bent out of shape if it doesn’t happen. You, as a rider…sure, come on in…but don’t come in slammin Harleys or getting upset that we don’t like your Goldwing (because, quite honestly I don’t…they’re sedans missing two wheels…my opinion, sorry if I offended anyone).Why be sorry? It's your opinion (and mine) ***** em'!

The second part is, there’s a lot a folk here that defend and live what has been traditionally a Harley lifestyle, let me explain; me personally, I like loud pipes (not using the excuse they save lives or anything…I just dig loud pipes), I usually wear a t-shirt (no body armor), I hate riding with a helmet and I definitely have an FU attitude… yes, I occasionally have a beer at a bar and ride home and I firmly believe in live and let live. No matter what your views or opinions are on that subject, this forum will never change my mind on these topics. Not saying I don’t understand your point of view (just using the figurative “you”, not you personally),(You're trying to hard to be sensitive. ***** em' if they can understand what you're saying.) but don’t get bent out of shape when your arguments fail to persuade me to see things your way. I’ve never seen an internet argument sway an opinion that wasn’t already in question.

That’s the foundation of this post; don’t get all butt hurt because you didn’t get your way (you’d be amazed at the number of PM’s we get in this vein…especially the rash we’ve gotten lately about different brands of scoots). I see a lot of actions on this forum condemned with, “oh, you’re a tough guy now cause you ride a Harley”, and it never ceases to amaze me…anyone ever consider that a lot of folks on here would be the same if they rode a Harley or not. It seems that everyone wants to be offended and I feel like I have to put a disclaimer on everything that I post here as to not receive a ration of **** about it.(Again, see above reply, ***** EM')

As for being offended, I don’t get that. There’s nothing on this earth that can offend me…**** me off, definitely, but not offend me. If it don’t matter in 10 years, it don’t matter now and if it’s true, how can I defend it, and if it’s not true, how can I be offended.(You big pu$$y!)
I'm offended

Old 08-14-2007, 12:30 PM
hambone
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: hambone

ORIGINAL: Bluerose

ORIGINAL: TM

ORIGINAL: Bluerose

My own opinion...Sorry Mr. Moderator...taking a ribbing is one thing but if the person is attacked due to the bike they ride and they have not undually attacked anyone else I think they deserve the same treatment as any other member on this site. I don't say much about what goes on here and I have been here for quite a while but I think even this thead is inappropriate for someone that is supposed to be representative of the leadership of the site.

<snip> you might come across some actual bikers here on this site.
Funny I thought real bikers lived to ride....didn't know all real bikers only rode Harleys...I know a few who might not think so.
Bluerose, could I bother you to please point out exactly what is inappropriate.
You have stated: "Simple, if you happen to own another brand of Motorcycle other than Harley Davidson do not expect me to moderate anyone here that might have something unflattering to say about said brand."

So if I happen to be on the forum and ride say a Yamaha , I'm trying to figure out what bike to buy and someone flat out attacks me because of what I ride or my bike even though I have not done anything wrong . I have no where to turn except to leave the site or "grow thicker skin". Sorry but I think that attitude sucks and it could also turn away new members.

Your statements could also be seen as a opening for those who have been, for lack of a better word, “PC” to begin flaming members thinking that you have give your permission to do so.

Congrats. You exemplify the wikipedia definition“someone granted special powers to enforce the rules (or, as the case may be, their personal whim; the title refers to the powers more than the intent) “

This isn't the first time you've done something like this. I used to think you were a nice and fairly smart and well spoken person. Let's just say I have been surprised and disappointed.
*Yeeeeaa, maaaaybe, but - zombie edit*. Kalifornia sucks too.
This $hit right here is part of the problem with the thin skinned amoung us. Z had to edit my post cause some whinny puss got, or might have gotten offended by what I said.

SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!SANDY ****!!

Old 08-14-2007, 12:30 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hackd

Dang, this reminds me of the Geico commercials...It's somewhere between the "Someone woke up on the wrong side of the rock"....And "Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...What?"
Reminds me of the Energizer Bunny commercials!!!!!!!!!!!

Random Thought: I know/know of several "real bikers"......they don't do computer!!!! I'm notdrawing conclusions, just saying........

Old 08-14-2007, 12:31 PM
hambone
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: zombie

Maybe I was being a little too PC by using the term "offended". Pissed off would fit in just as well. Also, since I have never p.m.'d a moderator or administrator about anything (except village idiots )
I don't have an understaning of all the complaining that goes on behind closed doors. Perhaps future lectures, like TM's post,could be directed by p.m. to the offending pupils and not directed openly toward the whole class.

I'd agree with you to a point Whaap, but honestly...if we replied to every PM in regards to this matter, we'd never be out in the forums. Sometimes the problem is large enough we have to make a post to address the masses (even if it doesn't apply to you).

Honestly, if it doesn't apply to you then don't take it to heart...no different than a memo outlawing red staplers...if you use a black stapler, don't read any further
That's my red Swingline stapler!!!

Old 08-14-2007, 12:32 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, I guess one of my faults is that I tend to stick up for the little guy sometimes. That's probably my ONLY fault. LOL. Thank God I have a black stapler!!

Quick Reply: NEWS FLASH! NEWS FLASH!