General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody ever wreck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007 | 11:36 AM
vincent21212
|
Advanced
Default Anybody ever wreck?

I haven't. But I read about alot of other peoples wrecks on these forums, and I find myself being safer out there when I'm riding because of it. If youve wrecked, was there anything you did negligently, or were you just a victim of chance?

Old 08-13-2007 | 11:43 AM
anubisss
Banned
Default RE: Anybody ever wreck?

Several times, the ones in the city were never my fault. The only wrecks that were my fault were 1) looped it while doing a wheelie on the street 2) Highsided on several different roads due to excessive speed 3) coming down a hill too fast in the pouring rain. My other wrecks were not my fault. 1)Mini van turned left in front of me (the driver barely spoke english and was asian) 2)A car decided he wanted to trun right at an intersection from the center lane of the street and ran me over 3) Driver did not see me and changed lanes into me. All of these accidnets that were not my fault happened so fast that it did not matter if I knew how to swerve, panic stop, etc. There was no titme. Quicker than you could snap your fingers. Keep that in mind while riding...

Old 08-13-2007 | 11:53 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Before the invention of the FAX machine I did messenger work in NYC.....you know like the guys on 10 speed bicycles. I went down a few more times than I like to think about back then. Riding dirt bikes....went down plenty. Getting stoned/drunk.....crashed plenty. Broken bones.....plenty. The only thing you have to worry about when you crash a bike it the "immovable object" thats what will bite your a$$. just sliding out going around a turn ain't too bad if your dressed for it, but when you rear end a car at 40 MPH you getting hurt.....if your dressed for it or not. Once I was launched right out of my work boots.....the boots stayed on one side of the car....still tied, while I went over the hood sliding half way down the block!

Old 08-13-2007 | 12:08 PM
japel
Tourer

Only one accident while on my Harley and it was by chance. I was leaving from a red light when up about 100-200 feet an 81 year old man (hearing aids & coke bottle glasses) was pulling out of the White Castle parking lot and decided he wouldn't stop to check traffic he would just go. I slammed on my brakes but it wasn't enough. Bike fishtailed and I dumped it and the bike slammed into the back of him while I slid across the highway. I initally was in the right hand lane and when I stopped I was on the line for the middle & left lane. It was about 5:30 in the afternoon (rush hour). When I sat up and got some of my bearings back I turned around to see a school bus barreling down on me. I don't think I ever got up and ran so fast in my life. I ran to the shoulder (shouldhave just gone to the median, but wasn't thinking clear.) As soon as I was on the side I collapsed. The next thing I know not even 2 seconds later I hear sirens. The first officer on the scene realized who I was (I work for that police department) and then all of a sudden there are 9 other cars on the scene. I sit up just in time to see the elderly driver getting into his car and pulling away. I grabbed one of the guys and told him to get him back here. Once they brought him back and I was walking again I contacted my father and he got there rather quick. He proceeds to tell my father that he isn't going to report it to his insurance because I didn't hit him. He was driving a brand new car that he got 2 hours prior. We look at his bumper and not only is there a big crack down it, but there is also black paint on it. I tell him that I will be reporting to his insurance company and that I will go back to the dealer to get the paperwork because I guarentee that the marks weren't there when you left. As far as I know they do a walk around on the vehicle before letting it leave the lot. Follow up on that story. I showed up for his court case on his tickets that he decided he was going to plead Not Guilty and get away with it. You wouldn't imagine the shock on his face when he saw me walk in wearing a $700 suit (considering when he saw me I looked like the typical "biker" leather and jeans). Not only that, but when I came in from the back way laughing and talking with the pros. He got nailed with every ticket.

Other accidents that were my fault were always riding a dirt bike. Did a few slides, worst was losing the bike on a jump. The bike went one way and I went into a tree. Not many branches on it, well there aren't anymore because I managed to hit every single one and bring them down with me. That one hurt...broke a rib. I think...never did go to the hospital on that one. Just in pain for about 3 months.

Old 08-13-2007 | 12:50 PM
nidan
Road Warrior

There is an old saying .. there's 2 kinds of bikers , them that have gone down , and them that will.

I've been riding since '69 and have been fortunate to only have 2 accidents . I walked away from the last one, the first put me in the hospital for 10 days.

As a result I have a few ground rules : Never ride when I'm not 100%, always weara helmet,boots,gloves and unless it's over 95 a jacket. Never ride beyond my abilities, there is always somebody faster and more foolish. I don't drink anymore , but even when I did , don't mix the bottle and the throttle.

Old 08-13-2007 | 01:16 PM
japel
Tourer

ORIGINAL: nidan

There is an old saying .. there's 2 kinds of bikers , them that have gone down , and them that will.
Amen to that brother...[sm=icon_cheers.gif] The only bikers that I know that haven't gone down are still new ones. It's only a matter of time. It's the inherited risk we take with it.

Old 08-13-2007 | 01:22 PM
Storm 4 U
Banned

Twice and by the grace of God still have all my parts
and working fine, with the exception of getting a bit older now.
For me, being this lucky has made me much more aware of my surroundings while riding
and to listen to that little voice that says every once in awhile "don't ride today"

Old 08-13-2007 | 03:03 PM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member

I am also a big believer in the old pilot saying adapted to bikers:

There are old bikers;
There are bold bikers;
There are very few old, bold bikers.

Old 08-13-2007 | 03:30 PM
lbjohnson1
Road Master

Over 24 years of riding I have had 4 accidents, 3 not at fault and only 1 at fault. The at fault was the most current just a year ago. I did the unthinkable and made a left in front of a car in an intersection. Both my new Harley and an accura were totaled. The driver of the car was fine. I received an open compound fracture of the Tibia and fibia in my left leg along with two sprained knees, 3rd degree sprained ankle, a broken tail bone, road rash on my back, but my head which was covered with a full face helmet survived going through the windshield. Unfortunately the road rash could have been non existent if I had my jacket on.Figures the one time I don'thave it on is when I go down.I have always been careful and a safe rider. Can't explain how it happened, one witness thinks the car changed from the turn lane to the straight thru lanes, but I had no proof so I was at fault on the police report and received the ticket. Luckily the car was only traveling approximately 45mph and I had just started out. Accidents do happen even when no alcohol, cell phones, or other distractions are involved.

Old 08-13-2007 | 03:45 PM
reddfinn
Cruiser

Forty-two years ago (dang that's a long time) a pickup hit me broadside while I was making a left turn. He was passing the car behind me as I turned. Spent a few days in the hospital with a concussion; no helmet, of course. That happened one month to the day after a friend was killed when a woman made a left turn in front of him. His head broke the windshield of the car.

That was the worst of them. I've layed 'em down several times!

Quick Reply: Anybody ever wreck?