General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody ever wreck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007 | 03:53 PM
bgismo20
Road Warrior
Default RE: Anybody ever wreck?

12 yrs of street riding (im 28) And 24 yrs total & ive never went down on the street on my BIke, When I was 15 I went down on my Moped, got bad road rash so i guess that counts, but other han that no, close a few times though

Old 08-13-2007 | 04:01 PM
Knute
Advanced

Got T-boned by another motorcycle 37 years ago by a buddy of mine on my 80cc Yamaha when we being stupid. Had a compound fracture of my femur and they put a metal rod in my leg for a year to hold it together. Lots of other injuries too. The best thing that came out of it was I had the metal rod that was in my leg machined into the shift linkage for my 06 Heritage.
Everytime I look at it I remember don't do anything stupid out there!

Old 08-13-2007 | 04:42 PM
DocHarley
Outstanding HDF Member

Twice, once at 16 years oldand once at 17, I've since grown up and now drive like I have some brains.

Old 08-13-2007 | 07:16 PM
vincent21212
|
Advanced

Anybody ever hear of the 1 in 6 bikers will die on a bike statistic? It was something like that I heard a few years ago. If it wasnt 1 in 6, the number was surely below 1 in 10 I remember. Who falls into this category, I don't know. Some people only ride on the weekends. I ride 3 to 4 times, sometimes more a week, mostly to work. I do this to save gas, but maybe I should cut down on my ride time.
Today on my way home this dumb broad was texting on a phone as I was about to make a left turn. There was no close call, but just the fact that she was doing what she was doing made me scream "bitch" at the top of my lungs as she passed me by. She most likely didn't hear me.
Anyway, point is I wear my helmet 70% of the time I ride (its required to ride on the base), but I'm thinking I shouldcut down on my riding, so I can possibly hold off on the eventual for later. Am I a *****?I don't think so. Just a couple of things I haven't done yet.

Old 08-13-2007 | 07:39 PM
CTP
Cruiser

Yep, got ran over by a Ramble Ambassador once, remember it like it was yesterday.

Old 08-14-2007 | 05:09 AM
Iron Maiden
Advanced

Wrecked twice, both weren't my fault but both could have been avoided if I played it smarter. Pay attention to your surroundings, ride safe ... live to ride another day.

Old 08-14-2007 | 05:52 AM
Captain Harley
Advanced

I've had two major wrecks, both my fault. The small ones I don't count and most of them were my fault too. For some unknown reason I've had a lot of close calls with cages, dogs and whatever. But have
always been able to stay up and not go down. In other words I use to be my own worst enemy. Must have been a death wish along with the booze and others. I feel that if you ride and I mean ride and not just putt to the next show off spot. You are going to get hurt some day. Hopefully not killed or loose a
leg or anarm. Be prepared for what ever might happen. Use common sense anddo not do any thing stupid!Take it from somebody who has and lived to tell about it. Plus,everybody out on that highway is out to get you, period. AMFRide Safe

Old 08-14-2007 | 06:48 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

jhnmTwo:

1972: A Buick Electra 225 pulled out of a parking lot onto the street I was riding on. Then stopped. I 'launched' over the handle bars of my 1971 BMW R75/5 and landed on his trunk lid. If you're as old as I am you remember the old land yachts...Bentthe forks on the bike and experience weightlessness...Picked myself and the Beemer up and rode off.

2003: Returning from Florida on I-75, just north of Atlanta at about 2:50 PM(Delk Rd exit). 1993 Ford Taurus decides that he wants to be in the same lane as me. Dude never turned his head, checked his mirrors, WTF. I rememberjust 'twisting the throttle' to get throughhis blind spot when he started over into my lane. I recall seeing his right rear fenderhit my front wheel. Ialso remember coming off the seat of the 'glide. Allan eerie almost surreal moment in time. Then: 'Boom, Boom..Out go the lights'.Icame towith a group 'hovering' around me, holding me to the pavement so I couldn't move. My first words: 'Did anyoneget that MF'r in thewhite Taurus?' Five days in hospital, broken ribs (not fun), punctured lung (also not fun), fractured toe, minor road rash on knuckles, knees,and upper lip. And two days later, a continuous bruise that ran from my right ankle up my hip. I had to sleepsitting in a chairfor thenext two months. Four years later and I still have numb areas on my right hip.

I'll echo what everyone that wears the 'broken wings' say: They happen quick.

Old 08-14-2007 | 06:57 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

My last wreck 25+ years ago was partly my fault.Since then no alcohol,and have a very wide field of view.My rides are much more powerful so I pick the spots to get stupid.

Old 08-14-2007 | 07:13 AM
LIRIDE
Road Warrior

5/27/06. Riding In New Ringold,Pa. I was second from the back10 bikes in front of me. Going into a curve they all start to slow.So do I but somehow I manage to hit a large patch of gravel and the pig takes offon me like I was on ice. Got things under control ( if sliding sideways is considered under control) until I slide onto a soft shoulder and the damn thingcomes to a stop like I hit a wall. Over the handel barsthru the windshield andonto the street. Broken rib, torn rotator cuff and a bunch of scratches - no rash. Rode again as sonn as I could hold the bike up.

Quick Reply: Anybody ever wreck?