General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"THIS IS BULLSH*T"

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 02:07 PM
Lethkial
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "THIS IS BULLSH*T"

ORIGINAL: Bighorse

I'm with you diver. We are a Nation governed by retards! And Bush is the head retard!
Somehow, when a President and the work "head" are mentioned in the same sentence, I think most of us do NOT think of Bush!

And absolutely the last person we need governing us is right now is another Slick Clinton![sm=signs006.gif][sm=noooo.gif][sm=badidea.gif]

Old 08-13-2007, 02:30 PM
guitarman777
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Philip1228

My grandmother was killed in May of this year by a driver of a truck(she was in a truck as well) and because the driver was not impaired in anyway he was only ticketed for failure to yeild(he passed the stop sign). I thought it was BS, but the DA showed me that it was nothing more than an accident which resulted sadly in the loss of a life. If not impaired they will not charge vehicular homicide. Now in civil court he is neglegent and will have to settle up but criminally he is not. I don't like it, but that's the way it is.
That's funny... a gal who used to go to my old church accidentally ran a red light and caused an accident that killed three people. She's serving a 35-year sentence. Didn't stop at a traffic ticket for running a red light. As much as the situation sucks and she didn't mean to run the light, wasn't impaired or anything to that nature, she's considered as criminally responsible as the person four cells down who blew away three people with a 12-guage shotgun. And the guy you're talking about gets ticketed for failing to yield? ...

Old 08-13-2007, 02:49 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Something all of you are forgetting is that the victim, the motorcyclist in this case have the right to sue the other driver. Whether they receive a ticket or not, doesn't preclude them from being sued by a biker who has been injured do to his/her own negligence. Let's not lose track of that. Yes, it sucks that there aren't stiffer penalties or any penalty in some cases and these driver's justwalk away,sometimes leaving carnage in their path.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:17 PM
Bobby Joe
Cruiser

ABATE is an acronym which originally stood for "A Brotherhood Against Totalitarian Enactments" http://www.abateks.org/click and pick your state!!!!

AMAthe AMA has an unparalleled history of pursuing, protecting and promoting the interests of the world's largest and most dedicated group of motorcycle enthusiasts. http://www.ama-cycle.org/

Click and learn. These organizations work for your rights as a motorcycle rider. If your not willing to join the gangs above then stop bitching cause you got screwed or run over or what ever. The small amount of change it costs you every year is nothing compared to what they do for us.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:42 PM
kjmorgan
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Screw the ticket - I say the car driver should be required to have one of his legs amputated with a car bumper and no anesthesia!

Old 08-13-2007, 07:25 PM
B dog
Banned

ORIGINAL: CSI Topeka

ORIGINAL: B dog

ORIGINAL: CSI Topeka

Did the guy commit a more serious violation, cuz the other vehicle was a motorcycle?

NO.

It is a traffic accident, NOT a traffic [/i]on-purpose[/i]. Unless you can prove that the driver:

A: Hit the motorcycle on purpose

or

B: Prior to the accident, was driving in a manner that was likely to endanger himself or others

then, it is ONLY a traffic offense.

I would like to see where you pulled your info from, that states that "in 1% of car-motorcycle accidents, where the car driver is at fault for failure to yield the right of way, is that driver ticketed".

I call BS. You are making it sound like LESS enforcment action is taken in car-motorcycle wrecks, than is taken in car-car wrecks. Maybe you can provide us with some links to back up that claim.

One would figure you being a LEO that you would of done some homework before shooting your donut eating overweight mouth off. First off. WTF IS A TICKET when you've taken a leg or life ? Second, go call the FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF HIGHWAY SAFETY and MOTOR VEHICLES ( Florida crash records database). There you can find all the evidence you need to back up my statements. Any other questions MR LEO ?
And as far as im concerned- IF YOU'VE GOT YOUR HEAD UP YOUR AS* PLAYING WITH A C-PHONE , RADIO , BOOMBOX , MAKEUP , LOOKING COOL BY LAYING YOUR SEAT ALL THE WAY DOWN, DRINKING TO MUCH, BEING A IDIOT WHILE OPERATING A VEHICLE AND YOU CAUSE AN ACCIDENT. "
"YOU SHOULD BE CHARGED PERIOD"
The end of your rant falls in with what I said about: If you are driving in a manner likely to endanger yourself of others. Ie, playing with the phone, radio, boombox, makeup, drinking, etc etc etc.

BTW...I don't like donuts, and I am hardly overweight.

As far asexperience?

Basic Accident School
Advanced Accident Investigation
Accident Reconstruction School
Motorcycle Accident Reconstruction School
12+ years traffic experience in trafffic enforcement, Motor carrier enforcement, dui enforcment, etc etc
8+ yrs member of the Accident Reconstruction Unit

I respect your education and abilities as a LEO. However im shocked at your first remark. My statements were backed up by Florida’s FST database. You know better than any here what im saying and im surprised your taking the defense of indifference and accident rather than negligent fault. What good is a ticket when a life is taken ? What lesson learned ? Now make our laws stricter on the road and things will change. If you’ve truly had the training you say you have , you know better than any the negligent death tole in America. Last year was close to 32,000. There was over 1,024,765.00 accidents in 06.
The death tole for motorcycles have risen in the past five years almost double .Do bikers need better training ? I’ll be the first to say yes. This bad *** biker attitude is worth nothing against cagers. And in many cases the end is serious injuries or death. But there’s way to many bikers dying because of negligent drivers. I believe it will never stop until WE MAKE NEW LAWS.
It makes me sick when I here on the radio, when there’s been an accident..Quote - Accident involving a motorcycle , oh a organ donor again. Cleaning the gene pool.
You pass a law that if you hit a biker and it was your fault , one year licence revoked and $5000 fine and I’ll be willing to bet the death and accident tole on bikers will go way down.
What’s a life worth these days.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:58 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I appreciate the spirit of your argument. A simple traffic violation (lets just use ROW on left turns for arguments sake) may do a total of 50,000 dollars damage to two cars, and it has the propensity to injure or kill at least two drivers. But, unless you can prove that it was an intentional act, OR the driver was acting in a manner that "shocks the consience", it does not rise to the level of a criminal offense.

Remove a car, and add a motorcycle, and there is a strong possibility that the 2nd driver will end up dead. Does that mere fact increase the seriousness of the violation? At the very least, it has increased the seriousness of the outcome, but did it make the right of way violation more serious? Some would say that yes, it does. I have read on this forum, that if a car strikes a motorycle, that the car driver should be arrested for attempted murder. (Nevermind that the murder statutes require a multitude of elements to support a murder charge, none of which are present during a mere "accident", which by definition is an unintentional act). My opinion, which is based upon the laws, as they stand right now, is No, it doesn't. It is still an accident, with a tragic outcome.

What do we as the motorcycling public do about it?(yes, I am PART of the motorcycling community) How can we get the Legislatures to draft laws that increase the seriousness of the offense, if it is a motorcycle involved, as opposed to a car? Let's assume that we have a ROW on left turn violation, but the cager turned left in front of a semi, and their passenger dies? Would that person be cited under the "less serious" side of the law, as there was no motorcycle involved, even though there was a death?

The bottom line is this: The laws need to be changed. If you are at fault in an accident, and as a result of that accident somebody is killed or maimed, you need to becriminally charged. PERIOD.It should not matter if the person killed or maimed was another cager, a biker, a bicyclist, or a pedestrian. That "black and white" mindset is already used in numerous traffic laws, such as following too close, inattentive driving, speeding and others. INTENT is not an element of the offense. Rear end somebody, and no matter what the reasoning is, you are at fault. Get caught speeding, and it doesn't matter if you were unaware of the speed limit. You were speeding, and that is all that matters.

I checked the KSDOT website, and was able to find accident statistics, and motorcycle fatalities account for about 1% of all fatals in Kansas. As of yet, I cannot find any statistics that relate to the number of citations/charges levied in car vs motorcycle accidents, but I "have people" working on it for me.

As I said: The laws need to be changed. But for NOW, we have to work with what we have.

I hope this clears things up!

On a side note: On Friday, myself and Big Dog took a short trip, to meet up with some other HDForum members, and hand off the mascot. As we were leaving Topeka, a fellow rider was losing his life, not more than two miles from my house.And when I say"As we were leaving", I mean it. My wife called my cell as I wasfilling the bike, as she drove by the wreck, and saw the aftermath. A day or two later, the guy we handed the mascot off to (Eazy) was nailed at an intersection, totalling his V-Rod. Luckily, he and his S/O were not seriously injured. So yes, those wrecks hit close to home for me to.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:34 PM
Bleuknight
Cruiser

CSI Topeka, great post!! after reading this thread,I canunderstand the mindsetwhen we hearnews of afellow biker beingturned into the path and the feelings and thought process to slam the cager....accident is an accident as long as no alcohol, drugs, speeding is not involved. Laws need to be changed to hold people accountable and have more serious fines/jail time, etc for serious violators!
He!!, I do learn things on here.....
Ride on, Ride a lot!

[IMG]local://upfiles/38813/5E0FC1D587F34017830C6EA92B111217.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-13-2007, 10:10 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Awesome post CSI...

lp

Old 08-13-2007, 10:14 PM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, and when he was campiagning he came down to the Boggie
ORIGINAL: skullandcircle

KC is like Indiana then. Most car / bike wrecks here, the driver of the car walks without anything. Sad thing is, our governor claims to be a motorcycle rider. [/align]

Quick Reply: "THIS IS BULLSH*T"