Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for advice on my dream trip to Europe.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 09:38 AM
spike95
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advice on my dream trip to Europe.

My ultimate dream vacation is to ship my bike to Europe and ride around for 3-4 weeks. I'd prefer to do it before I start having kids so now would be the opportune time. I am curious what all this would entail. I know I would have to ship it in a container. Would I have to pay any kind of large customs tax on it? Would my bike be considered street legal? My DOT helmet? Pipes? Also, is it really hard to find safe places to park your bike? Do you think local HD dealerships be willing to provide me with some overnight parking? I am interested in going to Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, France, Italy, England, and Ireland. Maybe not every one of them, but those are the possible destinations. The only imperative ones are Germany and Belgium (I have distant relatives in Germany that own a vineyard and are very friendly) and I must go to Belgium for the beer (because I am a beer nut). Lots of brewery tours in this trip. Also, I'd like to catch at least one car/bike show. What do you think guys? Where might I run into problems?

Old 08-13-2007, 10:02 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Looking for advice on my dream trip to Europe.

Problems? Staying on the left side of the road in England.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:36 AM
UltraClassic_2007
Advanced

ORIGINAL: spike95

My ultimate dream vacation is to ship my bike to Europe and ride around for 3-4 weeks. I'd prefer to do it before I start having kids so now would be the opportune time. I am curious what all this would entail. I know I would have to ship it in a container. Would I have to pay any kind of large customs tax on it? Would my bike be considered street legal? My DOT helmet? Pipes? Also, is it really hard to find safe places to park your bike? Do you think local HD dealerships be willing to provide me with some overnight parking? I am interested in going to Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, France, Italy, England, and Ireland. Maybe not every one of them, but those are the possible destinations. The only imperative ones are Germany and Belgium (I have distant relatives in Germany that own a vineyard and are very friendly) and I must go to Belgium for the beer (because I am a beer nut). Lots of brewery tours in this trip. Also, I'd like to catch at least one car/bike show. What do you think guys? Where might I run into problems?
I don't know about the customs tax or shipping. My bike was shipped over here with the military so I didn't have any tax or customs fees. As far as the other stuff I am pretty sure your DOT helmet (as long as it is not a half helmet). I have not done anything to my bike to make it any differant than when I bought it in the states. I do have to wonder though about the tag. I have an Italian plate on mine since it is registered here in Italy. I do not know how that will work with someone coming over and just staying on vacation. I am fairly certian but not positive that you can not have your stateside licence plate on your bike and be legal. As far as your pipes, as long as they are not screaming loud you will be fine. I have ran across many Italians, Austrians, Germans, that have louder pipes than I do but they do have a law here of no more than 90db out of the pipes in Germany. As far as safe places to park your bike, I have found that you will have less people messing with your bike over here than in the states. I will not say that it will not get stolen but the likelyhood of it is less than most places back in the good ol' USA. I honistly think you will run into your biggest problems with the tag and import fees. I have no clue at all how that works as a civilian coming to visit.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:59 AM
plasmadaddy
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

There wouldn't be any tax or fees to pay at all - you're just shipping the bike over to ride, not to sell.
If you get to the UK gimmee a call and we'll ride!!!

Cheers

Plasma

Old 08-21-2007, 07:15 AM
irlm1
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: plasmadaddy

There wouldn't be any tax or fees to pay at all - you're just shipping the bike over to ride, not to sell.
If you get to the UK gimmee a call and we'll ride!!!

Cheers
Plasma
same goes for ireland. no tax etc when you are visiting.as for helmet laws, so long as its not a hat with a strap its legal here. Loud exhaust etc..hahaha....cops wont want the hassle of dealing with anything like that. if it looks like its factory made...any factory,.... then its fine.
goodluck and enjoy....