General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Riders

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2022 | 05:04 PM
TracerBullet
Seasoned HDF Member

Another plus for MSF and teaching the absolute basics

Old 04-04-2022 | 08:22 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

My wife (then girlfriend) is a tad over 5' tall and she rode with me for many years before "sneaking out" and taking the MSF course (and acing it) back in '96.
She had owned and drive a stick shift car and that was a great advantage for her.

On the other hand I sold my RK to a guy that I worked with and he was well over 6'+ tall and well over 200+ pounds.
He took the course and failed it!

My wife has never really "dropped" her bike but she has "tipped over" a few times and it has always been when she's stopping and only once (she claimed was my fault) when we had passed a restaurant when she wanted to stop so I made a U turn and then a quick RH turn into the driveway of the restaurant and she just got caught off-balance.

Most (if not all of us) have at one time or another have had a similar incident but what I've noticed with my wife (and other younger riders) that concerns me the most has been that when she starts going over she will NOT let go of the handlebars or try to "step way" from the bike and just rides it down to the pavement!
On at least three of these "flips" I thought for sure that she had probably broken an ankle or a leg as the bike as been on top of her but thankfully the engine (crash) bar has protected her.

Hopefully I will never have to train, watch or worry about a newer rider again but from what I've learned practicing the slow turns and stops would be the most needed practice maneuvers that should be perfected, along with the proper use of the front brake lever.

Old 04-04-2022 | 08:52 PM
2whlr4life
Seasoned HDF Member
Arrow

The more the merrier.
My wife has been riding now for years after taking that MSF class with a couple of gal pals. All 3 of them are still riding.

The following users liked this post:
MarlinSpike (04-04-2022)
Old 04-04-2022 | 09:08 PM
MarlinSpike
Road Master

I tried the "wife wants to ride deal" once. Seemed everything was good on all test rides around our property - So it was of to my riding area [ trials bikes ] While I am getting stuff unloaded while she is supposed to be just putting around, I hear a throttle go wide open, and look over to see her going down.
That was it - she's done and I am thinking - what was I thinking....' She is also super wimpy about getting hurt - geez, it's just a bruise from your Whoo-whoo to your knee,
get over it...
Nope, not doing that again. No way - no how. Good for you guys that have been successful!!!! Hats off & best wishes for a safe wife rider friend.

Old 04-05-2022 | 09:03 AM
Cajun4x4
Cruiser

I was a MSF instructor for 10 years, so I am a big advocate of any safety classes you can take. With that said, I highly recommend you don't do anymore parking lot training. The MSF is designed to build good habits from the start. I can't count how many "experienced" riders couldn't corner or brake properly with X amount of years of riding. I would also suggest if you haven't taken a MSF course to do so. This way all of you have the same training and experience and then you can practice together and continue to build the skills taught in the MSF courses.

Also, I have no idea what training you have taken, how long you have been riding or any of your background. So please don't take any of this personally. Just sharing my insight from instructing the MSF.

Good luck and ride safe.

The following 3 users liked this post by Cajun4x4:
Brian15 (04-08-2022), Hasher (04-07-2022), Rob Harper (04-05-2022)
Old 04-05-2022 | 12:42 PM
CaffeineBuzz
Seasoned HDF Member

this is the strangest kitchen I've ever seen

The following 2 users liked this post by CaffeineBuzz:
back again (04-05-2022), Rob Harper (04-05-2022)
Old 04-05-2022 | 08:20 PM
Rob Harper
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Cajun4x4
I was a MSF instructor for 10 years, so I am a big advocate of any safety classes you can take. With that said, I highly recommend you don't do anymore parking lot training. The MSF is designed to build good habits from the start. I can't count how many "experienced" riders couldn't corner or brake properly with X amount of years of riding. I would also suggest if you haven't taken a MSF course to do so. This way all of you have the same training and experience and then you can practice together and continue to build the skills taught in the MSF courses.

Also, I have no idea what training you have taken, how long you have been riding or any of your background. So please don't take any of this personally. Just sharing my insight from instructing the MSF.

Good luck and ride safe.
No offense taken Sir. My wife wanted to get some experience before her class, since I've been married 32 years I know when not to argue. She has some more confidence now, and will take the class soon. I've ridden everything from dirt bikes, to Ninjas to Sportsters to Ultra Limited loaded 2 up. From the "up country" and cities of Thailand to BRP to Washington DC traffic to riding in snowstorm in Upstate NY. 38 years on street bikes, and dirt bikes before that. Thanks for your opinion, and I agree with you. I do need to take an advanced MSF class. (as most people on this forum do)

Cajun4x4 (04-05-2022)
Old 04-05-2022 | 08:28 PM
Rob Harper
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by CaffeineBuzz
this is the strangest kitchen I've ever seen

She already got the kitchen.. Before, after, and what I sold to pay for it. If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!!

CaffeineBuzz (04-06-2022)
Old 04-07-2022 | 12:24 AM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cajun4x4

Good luck and ride safe.
I also recommend taking the MSF class first, with its building block approach. Practicing first can form habits that interfere with subsequent learning, especially since what's learned first tends to be learned stronger (law of primacy). The course is designed to handle folks with no experience.

I understand that if she won't, she won't.

Disclosure: Current MSF RiderCoach

Cajun4x4 (04-08-2022)
Old 04-07-2022 | 05:21 AM
Hasher
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Rob Harper
My wife wants to be good at something before she even takes a class. I don't know how long we practiced Spanish before she took a Spanish class. (she's a teacher, and 30-40% of her students parents don't speak English, they speak Spanish. my Spanish is good, studied it 4 years) She rode dirt bike some growing up (35-40 years ago) and her car is a manual transmission. And she's ridden thousands of miles on the back of my bike. But she still wants to practice and ride on the road before she takes the class. When she decides how it's going to be, best to just nod my head and agree. I think she'll do great in the class, but agree you can take class w/o any experience.
Ah yes, I’ve met your wife, the over thinker. 🤪. Who else would need to learn to ride a motorcycle to learn to ride a motorcycle? As already stated, no harm but, it could be the beginning of a bad habits which are harder to break than starting off right.
‘She will do fine at the class, tell her to listen to the coach literally, don’t try to interpret what he/she means or what’s coming next. The coach will get there when it’s time. And stay out of her head.

Quick Reply: New Riders