General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crate motor vs building a motor from scratch

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2022 | 11:10 AM
Phage
|
6th Gear
Default Crate motor vs building a motor from scratch

This is an interesting question. What would be a cheaper option (ik building one from scratch is better). Building a motor from scratch (not building a current motor) or a crate engine?

Old 02-15-2022 | 11:36 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

I would say, if you are a builder/machinist and knw what and how to do it ,then it would make sense to build it. If not and doing a swap is within your capabilities, then do a rate swap. Its more cost effective.

With any engine build you need to take measurements and determine what needs to be machined, what parts to order etc. that is time and money in the end it may be cot effective with a crate engine with a warranty.

The following users liked this post:
OFA (02-15-2022)
Old 02-15-2022 | 12:59 PM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Another option is a salvage bike with low miles. Check out Copart for example. You gotta proceed with caution but I have had good experiences on project cars and bikes from salvage.

The following users liked this post:
gregintenn (08-10-2022)
Old 02-15-2022 | 01:31 PM
RK_Classic
Seasoned HDF Member

I'm not a engine builder, but to me if you build the motor you know what's really in it and you can put what you want in it. JMO.

rk classic.

Old 02-15-2022 | 01:32 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

If I were to do a build, I'd be paying a lot of labor for a skillset I don't have. I can and have swapped engines on numerous vehicles. I priced it out and dropping in a 131 crate still ends up costing about $9k by the time it's done. A stage IV on my current engine would cost considerably less.

Old 02-15-2022 | 01:50 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by NoRegerts
If I were to do a build, I'd be paying a lot of labor for a skillset I don't have. I can and have swapped engines on numerous vehicles. I priced it out and dropping in a 131 crate still ends up costing about $9k by the time it's done. A stage IV on my current engine would cost considerably less.
Last time I looked a 131 crate engine was around $6,500 if memory serves me right. Then there's everything else you have to do, so I would suspect that's in the ballpark.

That being said. the MOCO has several Stage III and Stage IV performance kits for Twin Cams and M8's in the $1,800 to $3,500 range.

S&S, Dark Horse, and several other fantastic companies sell performance parts. Lots to choose from and that's good.

Old 02-15-2022 | 02:05 PM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member

IF I read the OP correctly he does NOT have an existing engine to modify ( "not building a current motor" )
Obtaining individual "speed parts" might be further complicated by location , I assume Bombay means Mumbai India
There is however a dealer there , and 28 others throughout the country

Old 02-15-2022 | 05:31 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member

If identical motors (same parts/specs). I'd say crate motor hands down (cost, labor and quite likely better quality). If you want something special and have the time and ability to build then go that route. Cost may be about the same as buying a crate engine and making small mods. With major modifications it will probably cost less.

Old 02-15-2022 | 05:45 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member

All depends on if your capable/comfortable doing the work yourself vs. paying someone else to build it. If your not, then a get a few quotes on the work you want done and compare that with buying a crate engine. Remember if you did go crate you would have less downtime and could recoup some cash selling your old model. Just my 2 cents. Tough call

Jim

Old 02-15-2022 | 07:12 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member

Unless you or someone you know well and trust with your open wallet has lots of HD build experience, crate for sure. Are you going to have registration issues after? Do you care about resale value at all? What kind of performance are you after? What’s the fuel like where you live? Lotsa details you should sort out before the first dime is spent…

Quick Reply: Crate motor vs building a motor from scratch