General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Earplugs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 05:26 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts
Default RE: Earplugs?

ORIGINAL: 3power

I use them. Makes a huge difference and will make your ride much more enjoyable, provided the plugs fit you correctly. Earplugs will also reduce your fatigue so you can ride longer. I just go to my local pharmacy and buy disposable ones (unually hearos). Enjoy.
Yep! Wish I had started using them when I was much younger, both for riding and shooting. Actually, my pipes sound better and deeper with ear plugs.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:20 PM
oldbikenut
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are like American Express Traveler's Checks.
Don't leave home without them!

When I ride any distance without em, my ears will ring for days.
I've already screwed up my hearing enough.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:26 PM
Roofuss96
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once your hearing is gone, it stays gone , they have yet to perfect ear transplants ![sm=laughingsmilie.gif]

Old 08-11-2007, 08:38 PM
scoobs
Tourer

Wear your plugs, when riding , mowing lawn, runnng a saw etc. I'm 45 and have lost enough from lots of unprotected loud crap over the years(military, shooting/hunting, running heavy equuipment) that it is hard to hear most normal conversation unless the person istalking directly at me. Really sucks when you can hardly hear your daughter say she loves you. I wear the foam plugs now all the time. Hopefully I can save what I have left.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:42 AM
mjh
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wear them all the time. It reduces the noise and let's me hear after the ride.
As scoobs mentioned, I've lost all the hearing I can affort to.

mjh

Old 08-12-2007, 12:54 AM
WouldBeHD
Tourer

Tried the drug store Hearos last week and have been using them more and more regularly. Riding with earplugs changed the entire experience for me and I have to say, I much prefer with than without.

Old 08-12-2007, 02:00 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

What did you say?

Old 08-12-2007, 06:23 AM
mchildree
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 92XLH

I think earplugs make for a much more pleasant ride, and they do not seem to reduce the ability to hear traffic. I wore a set of custom plugs for years but finally decided they were of too dense a material and they started to bother me. So, I tried the "Silent Ear" type shown in your referral. They were good but both fell out on the road and I lost them. I now wear the orange foam cheapies and they work very well. I have seen reviews on them and do not see the need for a more expensive plug unless you want to go all out and get the musician plugs which are usually rated as best, but much more costly. I cut the orange foam plugs down so they do not stick out of my ear so far. If they touch the helmet they can drive you nuts. By the way, I wear a full face helmet and it is not a substitute for ear plugs in reducing noise.

Start when you are young and have hearing to save.

06 Cobalt Street Bob
I can understand your concerns about cost, but as a musician, I can tell you that the custom fit plugs are worth every dime! I've had a pair for years with the -15db inserts, and they do everything better than the cheap plugs..... Since they're molded for your ears, you can wear them all day in comfort, the harmful wind roar is cut way down, but you can still talk to your rider without screaming. You can get inserts with less or more noise reduction, too. I feel 100% better after a ride of any length if I've worn these. The thing I don't like about the cheap foam plugs is that I feel completely blocked-up...like there's pressure building in my inner ears after a while. The custom plugs with the valves don't do that.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:28 AM
myuserid
Advanced

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the input. when im at Target with the wife today Ill buy some cheap ones - see how they work. Then if needed Ill order some nicer ones.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:31 AM
ditch_dgr
Road Master

ORIGINAL: myuserid

Anyone use earplugs while riding? Ive just started riding and holy smokes the wind noise is killing me. I would prefer not to loose my hearing. Anyone every use any of these plugs...
Before I got my Ultra I used to wear foam ear plugs all the time, makes the ride much more pleasant and you can actually hear with them on. They really worked well and when they get dirty you can just throw them away. It is the same thing we used in the Engine Rooms when I was in the Navy.

Quick Reply: Earplugs?