General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Earplugs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 09:35 AM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Earplugs?

ORIGINAL: RoaDRage

I prefer not to block my hearing while riding so I deal with the wind.
My guess is you've never tried earplugs. The beauty is you can still hear everything you need to hear, but without the wind noise. So, you actually hear better! Try them out and then let us know if you still feel the same way.

I had to convince my brother to try them. He tried them once on the highway and said "wow I have got to wear these all the time now!"

Old 08-11-2007, 09:38 AM
shoptroll
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll wear a bandana under my lid and down over my ears to keep the wind noise down but on long trips it still gets to be too much. some times I'll use cotton ***** under that yet because they don't cut off your hearing as much as earplugs. Earplugs really do the job but sometimes I feel like they're too quiet. As you can tell I haven't found a happy medium either.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:49 AM
wisemx
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've tried the same "smart" ear plugs I use for shooting magnum Revolvers...
They gave me a headache, just bugged me"nuts" on the road.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:57 AM
stubby
Road Captain

Wind buffeting, direction, and density always changing. Carry some; use them if you need.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:07 AM
harleyxlc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Full face helmet, yes to the ear plugs. Really cuts down on the wind noise and anything to protect my hearing sounds like a good thing, pun intended

Old 08-11-2007, 10:16 AM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought hundreds ahd hundreds of cheap foam ear plugs on ebay.I have a lifetime supply and I give them out to all of my friends.They came in big bags and were only around $6 per bag! They are perfect because they don't block out all the sound. They would not be good for shooting, because when I'm shooting I want to block out the sound to protect my ears. With the cheap ones, I protect my ears enough while riding but I can still hear what I need to and I can still enjoy the sound of the engine.

That's what I call the best of both worlds!!!

Old 08-11-2007, 10:35 AM
phat96
Road Warrior

Try the molded ones that are made of a rubber composite, they ran me $40.00 at AZ bikeweeka couple years back, this year I ordered and love the molded ones with speaker set up so I can listen to my Ipod, pricey but I really wanted tunes, try a search for Big Ear Inc. if you are interested.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:41 AM
HDRider#1
Tourer

I have a set of molded ones, don't like wearing them around town ,but out on the highway they sure are nice.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:46 AM
92XLH
Advanced

I think earplugs make for a much more pleasant ride, and they do not seem to reduce the ability to hear traffic. I wore a set of custom plugs for years but finally decided they were of too dense a material and they started to bother me. So, I tried the "Silent Ear" type shown in your referral. They were good but both fell out on the road and I lost them. I now wear the orange foam cheapies and they work very well. I have seen reviews on them and do not see the need for a more expensive plug unless you want to go all out and get the musician plugs which are usually rated as best, but much more costly. I cut the orange foam plugs down so they do not stick out of my ear so far. If they touch the helmet they can drive you nuts. By the way, I wear a full face helmet and it is not a substitute for ear plugs in reducing noise.

Start when you are young and have hearing to save.

06 Cobalt Street Bob

Old 08-11-2007, 11:10 AM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 92XLH

I think earplugs make for a much more pleasant ride, and they do not seem to reduce the ability to hear traffic. I wore a set of custom plugs for years but finally decided they were of too dense a material and they started to bother me. So, I tried the "Silent Ear" type shown in your referral. They were good but both fell out on the road and I lost them. I now wear the orange foam cheapies and they work very well. I have seen reviews on them and do not see the need for a more expensive plug unless you want to go all out and get the musician plugs which are usually rated as best, but much more costly. I cut the orange foam plugs down so they do not stick out of my ear so far. If they touch the helmet they can drive you nuts. By the way, I wear a full face helmet and it is not a substitute for ear plugs in reducing noise.

Start when you are young and have hearing to save.

06 Cobalt Street Bob
Yep....this is one of those few times that you can take the "cheap" route and it is actually better! I love it when that happens!!

Quick Reply: Earplugs?