General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 04:50 PM
Drclev3
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinions Please

I just dropped off my bike at the dealer to have a little warranty work done.(Tranny was leaking). Everything was going good. I ask the guy to print me out a copy of the work and when my warranty was up so he did and I was on my way home. got home and started to look over my paperwork. It had registration info on it as well ot had me down as the current owner and it had it down as a used vehicle and on down the paper it had the original owners name Totaly diffrent name than mine but it had the same date of purchase as when I bought it. Now I was told when I bought it I was buying a new bike it only had five miles onit from where the brought it from a dealer from the next city (Same dealer diffrent city). Question is what should I do? Go in to the finance department and complain because I was told it was brand new do I even have a leg to stand on.What do you people think I should do? any advice would be great.

Sorry it was so long but I am Kinda Pi$$ed[:@]

Old 08-10-2007, 04:54 PM
Viejo
Cruiser
Default RE: opinions Please

This is a common practice among many dealers. The will buy bikes from other dealers and title them but never put miles on them. They must be sold as used and the buyer must be told that they are in fact used bikes

Old 08-10-2007, 04:59 PM
bcox
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

If you have the title you might be able to tell....I think it has the number of times the vehicle was titled....Again I think.

It also might be a type-o.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:02 PM
StrGlide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or it was warranty registered to the first person who never took delivery of it. What does your title say? New or used? That's the important issue. As for the warranty you still have all the time you're entitled to, correct?

Old 08-10-2007, 05:07 PM
zombie
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

At 5 miles, it's probably a clerical error. I'd see what the title says before making an issue out of it. Now if the title shows you as the second owner, then ya...you bought a used bike, but at 5 miles, I doubt it. Most bikes I see new on the showroom floor have between 3 and 6 miles on em.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:24 PM
dgoodbmw
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

This is way the dealers get away from floor planning after the machines have run the normal floor plan. The machine is probably really new and the warranty probably started when the dealer bought the machine, in other words, your warranty has run off some time..id be pi***ed too.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:45 PM
mllkn6
Tourer

In some states you can check with the Highway Dept. by running the Vin Number to see if it was registered to someone else if so it is used, the Bill of Sale should have a place on it that has New ___ Used ____ they have to check, look it over. If the finance dept. is in thedealership they may give you the run around too. It could be a clerical error or a JB Weld error ( sorry could not help myself). I'd make every effort to find out all I could before going back to the dealer, look up the person listed as the previous owner and call him or her if necessary. If it was titled to another person it is used in most states. How much of a discount did they give you off the listed price? If they gave you a great deal they can say they told you it was used is the reason it was discounted in the first place, it could end up being your word against their. Good luck and I hope it is just a mistype somewhere.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:31 PM
Bowtieman31
Road Master

Hopefully, a clerical error as stated above. However, if the bike was registered to someone else, regardless of whether it was ridden or not, it is in fact, by law, a used bike. You may be entitled to a full refund, or a brand new bike. Good luck!

Old 08-10-2007, 06:42 PM
Drclev3
Road Master

I am finacing it and on the paper work it says NEW in bold letters.I dont have the title as of yet.They didnt have the bike I wanted on their showroom floor but they had it at their other store and brought it over saying it was a brand new bike.I am going to try and find out about the other person and maybe give him a call or like you said try the DMV and look it up. I didnt get a discount I am paying 18g for it so I dont think I am getting anything but screwed. Thanks for the advice.I think the DMV might be my best bet.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:02 PM
1peter
Tourer

If a dealer would sell a used bike as a new one then they would wind a speedo back or do anything else to sell a bike.I would be pissed as well,and you know they will have every excuse.Sounds like you have already got some good advice.

Quick Reply: opinions Please