General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a used bike at a dealership

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2021 | 03:28 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
The true mark of a good deal is "Value received for money spent"
So true, and that concept guides every major purchase I make.

Old 11-28-2021 | 07:20 AM
NOLAT
Novice

Originally Posted by CaffeineBuzz
A lot of dads have just so obviously completely ****ed up and dropped the ball by not teaching a basic life skill of…. How to ****ing buy and negotiate

Seriously?

what’s next hey guys how do I change a tire?

and welcome to the forums newb… where the weak are killed and eaten
please share your experience knowledge,.....

The following users liked this post:
620cal (11-29-2021)
Old 11-28-2021 | 07:57 AM
Dooley
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by CaffeineBuzz
A lot of dads have just so obviously completely ****ed up and dropped the ball by not teaching a basic life skill of…. How to ****ing buy and negotiate

Seriously?

what’s next hey guys how do I change a tire?

and welcome to the forums newb… where the weak are killed and eaten

It's a different environment at the dealership these days.

With the economy the way it is and the shortage of new bikes, dealers think it's 1990 all over again.

Unwilling to negotiate and​​​​​​ wanting MSRP + for anything M8 even with higher miles on it.

Even Rushmore Twin Cams are priced ridiculous compared to just a couple years ago.

Looks like prices get closer to reality on older bikes, with the sweet spot on touring models being between the new frame in the 09 models through the start of the Rushmore bikes. You might have to live with a 96 instead of the 103, but that wouldn't deter me at all. 96 is a good motor.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dooley:
big cahuna (11-28-2021), leachman (12-08-2021)
Old 11-28-2021 | 08:18 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member

All of the above is true. Here are my thoughts as I usually buy off Craigslist and negotiate with the seller:

1. Know what the vehicle is worth by doing your own research, there are plenty of websites out there that give current prices; KBB, NADA, Blackbook etc.
2. Look at Craigslist and see what similar year/model cycles are going for.
3. Figure out what your budget allows for and include tax & title.
4. If buying from a dealer, know your "out the door price" and provide that.
5. Never have to have or give the dealer reason to believe you crave the bike you are looking at - it is just a purchase after all and will only be worth trade in book value once you drive off the lot.
6. Lastly, it depends on your mechanical aptitude, if you are good with identifing, working, and fixing minor stuff, Craigslist or private party can get you more reasonable deals. If you cannot do your own maintenance, then a dealer may be better to buy from unless you have a good relationship with someone who knows motorcycles or is an independent Harley Mechanic.

The following 3 users liked this post by CoolBreeze3646:
big cahuna (11-28-2021), mazz (11-28-2021), Stiggy (12-01-2021)
Old 11-28-2021 | 08:39 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

A guy that I got to know pretty well worked at the H-D shop and his claims was that the profit(s) on the sale of used bikes than they did on new bikes as well in any other departments(s) of their store.

Most customers want a new bike so badly that they are willing to trade their old bike in and take a lot less for i than they could get if they took their time and sold (or kept) their bike until they could get a fair price for it.

Dealers (like any other business) are in business to make money.
I've never bought a used bike from a dealership but while their prices may be be a deterrent not to do so, they sometimes have a greater amount of models (and/or colors) to choose from all conveniently located for your selection.

From my position on buying and selling a used bike, in addition to mileage and overall condition (appearance and mechanical) if it's apparent that the tires and battery have not been replaced very recently, negotiate for them them to be replaced before you buy, or a decrease in the price of the bike if it's being bought from a private owner.

I've only bought one used H-D and a couple of Hondas and in two of those purchases the bikes had serious unknown tire issues that darned near got me (and in one case my wife) seriously injured or possible killed.

Old 11-28-2021 | 09:45 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
A guy that I got to know pretty well worked at the H-D shop and his claims was that the profit(s) on the sale of used bikes than they did on new bikes as well in any other departments(s) of their store.

Most customers want a new bike so badly that they are willing to trade their old bike in and take a lot less for i than they could get if they took their time and sold (or kept) their bike until they could get a fair price for it.

Dealers (like any other business) are in business to make money.
I've never bought a used bike from a dealership but while their prices may be be a deterrent not to do so, they sometimes have a greater amount of models (and/or colors) to choose from all conveniently located for your selection.

From my position on buying and selling a used bike, in addition to mileage and overall condition (appearance and mechanical) if it's apparent that the tires and battery have not been replaced very recently, negotiate for them them to be replaced before you buy, or a decrease in the price of the bike if it's being bought from a private owner.

I've only bought one used H-D and a couple of Hondas and in two of those purchases the bikes had serious unknown tire issues that darned near got me (and in one case my wife) seriously injured or possible killed.
You need to know what to look for. I offered $500 less on the '02 Dyna that I bought in September because I suspected that it was less of a garage queen and more of a cherished museum piece to the retired, aging lady owner. Knowing that I was driving 450 miles to see it, I wanted the price pre-negotiated prior to my trip. I told her that I'd pay $6,000, not the asked $6500 if I was going to make the trip.

When I got there, the bike certainly appeared showroom new, but the tires were dated 2004 and 2005 (17 and 16 years old respectively.) Just mentioning their age made her husband 'remind' me that he thought that we had a deal, thinking I might walk. I pointed out that he'd paid for the new tires (and my trip,) already and I'd have a trailer guy load the bike later that week.

On knowing what you're getting, I chose an early twin cam to replace my retired early twin cam because I know that era of machine pretty much inside and out. Replace the tensioners and enjoy a super strong crankshaft, bulletproof compensator, essentially life time wheel bearings, no heating issues, etc etc. I knew what to look for in that year bike. I don't know that much about later machines. (Stay in your lane, particularly on private sales.)

And on the dealer profit picture, my years as a dealer GM 20 years ago confirms that the profit on used far exceed the profit on new bikes. Back then, dealer profit on Sportsters was about $500 to $1,000, on Dynas, about twice that. Softails $2000 to $2500 and touring, closer to $4,000 on average. You can pretty much multiply the above by 150% to get a feel for what they can make on used (That's why so many used dealer bikes nowadays come from auctions. In the case of our local dealer here in Durham, NC, they go to auctions everywhere in the U.S. (except California.))

Old 11-28-2021 | 10:03 PM
IBE
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

the way i look at things are like this... if you leave with a bike and you are happy with the bike and what you spent on it, then its a good deal. and about now you can leave the nada and all the other books that tell you value out of the picture. they will not use that if selling, only when you trade it in they will most of the time not even care what the books say. its crazy out there at this moment

Old 11-30-2021 | 09:07 PM
ksol5
Road Captain

I've bought a used bike from a dealer and one private party sale in the past 3 years. I'm happy with both of those purchases, I did my research and I knew what each was worth before I even set foot in either of place.

The following users liked this post:
Stiggy (12-01-2021)
Old 12-03-2021 | 05:10 PM
PaperBag
Banned

I bought my 03 FXSTS from the local dealer 2 years ago, got a reasonable price quoted, deal done. I went in there this past summer, and yep, they won't work on it because, and I quote, "We won't work on anything older than an 04." SO, I asked another dealer a little further away if they'd work on it, and they said "SURE!"

If I were ever to buy another new OR used HD, guess where I'd start? Private sales are a crap shoot, with little to no recourse if you get screwed, but you can just as easily get screwed at the stealership.... ksol5 has the correct answer. Do your homework, and having an indie tech you trust take a look at it is also a good idea if you're not up to THAT task. But hell, I'm old and I figure this is the last scooter I'll ever buy, LOL.

Old 12-03-2021 | 08:59 PM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior

Since I have way more money than weekends left in my life, I approach negotiation differently than some. I use these two rules.

1. Do I want it now at the price they want, or am I willing to wait weeks or months for a better deal that may or may not come along.
2. See rule number 1.

We are in interesting times where used bikes and cars are demanding a top price and dealers and private parties are getting it. I paid $18,500 for a used 2020 Fat Bob that had 1100 miles on it in the color I wanted, with a few cool aftermarket parts. That was the price they were asking for it. Did I over pay? Maybe but I have enjoyed every minute of it and have never looked back.

It’s really that simple. How many days riding you can have now or wait for a better deal later. Life is way to short to wait for a better deal.

(FYI I negotiate for a living and my Father never showed me that. Lol)