General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a used bike at a dealership

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2021 | 08:05 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member

Bad time to buy from a dealer. I know, I've been trying for about a year. I have the bike I want, I just want a second smaller bike to play around with, so I don't mind waiting for things to change. It's definitely a sellers' market right now. These people won't budge.

Old 11-27-2021 | 08:32 AM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member

Seems like, in my area anyway, that dynas are going up in price. I still think Harley made a big mistake discontinuing them. People are starting to realize what great bikes they were, and the prices are going up. At least, like I said, around here they are. Any dyna newer than a 2003 will bring $6500+, and most bikes 2010 or newer are over $10,000 at a local independent shop. They are selling like crazy at those prices, too.

Last edited by hd4evr2008; 11-27-2021 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-27-2021 | 09:16 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by CaffeineBuzz
A lot of dads have just so obviously completely ****ed up and dropped the ball by not teaching a basic life skill of…. How to ****ing buy and negotiate

Seriously?

what’s next hey guys how do I change a tire?

and welcome to the forums newb… where the weak are killed and eaten
my son is 32. He grew up watching me buy new vehicles and I told him how to buy. Now as a adult he wants to be independent. I have seen him spend way to much, drives me crazy.

Old 11-27-2021 | 09:40 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kenelz
how to go about it, offer a price a % under the ad price? Do they advertise high to dicker, or not?
By basing this on the dealer's asking price, you're setting yourself up to lose from the start.

Forget their number. It doesn't mean anything.

What's your number? What are you willing to spend? What's it worth to you?

If they're willing to sell at your price, you'll buy yourself a bike. If they aren't, you keep looking.

The following 4 users liked this post by 0maha:
Cap77 (11-27-2021), Junior in NE (11-27-2021), Stiggy (11-27-2021), WP50 (11-27-2021)
Old 11-27-2021 | 10:02 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by CaffeineBuzz
A lot of dads have just so obviously completely ****ed up and dropped the ball by not teaching a basic life skill of…. How to ****ing buy and negotiate

Seriously?

what’s next hey guys how do I change a tire?

and welcome to the forums newb… where the weak are killed and eaten
I must have missed the reply you are referring to ???

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Larry:
620cal (11-29-2021), DanHappy (12-03-2021)
Old 11-27-2021 | 10:13 AM
TracerBullet
Seasoned HDF Member

If you think the dealers price is fair then its a good deal.
personally I have never bought a bike from a private seller.
A dealer is a business and they need to make money to stay open. I am seeing many more auto manufacturers not offering service manuals and forcing owners to go back to the dealers for service and it is morphing over to motorcycles. I'd rather have a relationship with my dealer before that happens

Old 11-27-2021 | 10:17 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

The true mark of a good deal is "Value received for money spent"

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Larry:
Dynamick (11-27-2021), InnishMoor (11-29-2021)
Old 11-27-2021 | 01:47 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member

I've been looking lately private owner and dealer stock. What I do is find a bike I'm interested in and look up the NADA value on line. Some might say their value's aren't close to being correct, but that's not what I found out. The ins payment I got was close within $100 of what the NADA value was. Then I go look at what the price being asked and see how far off they are. Nobody wants to overpay for anything, but you have to have a line on whats realistic. The market changes pretty quick, and bike prices in the last few months have gone nuts. You would think that it's pretty much the end of the riding season for most people, and that the prices would be super low, but that's not whats going on. I also checked values for other brands and Goldwing's seem to loose next to nothing every year. BMW's are another brand that loose very little as they age. There are alot of salvage bikes up for sale for big $$$, which I don't get. As well as bikes with no titles. I guess guys that are about to have their bike re-poed, sell them without a title for parts, then report them stolen to collect the ins money.But if it's still financed, the loan company gets first dibs at that claim $$$. I mean really, if you own that bike you should be able to get a replacement title for it to sell it. Only reason you won't have the title is if the loan company still has it. You gotta pay it off to get it. Anyway be prepared to pay more to play more.,,,

Old 11-27-2021 | 01:51 PM
Eddie Cruz
Intermediate

Never made any sense to me to buy a bike used from a dealer unless it’s a couple years old at best……..if I’m buying a bike with some years under its belt private party is the way to go…….I’m good with all the fees and taxes.

Old 11-27-2021 | 02:55 PM
Junior in NE
Road Master

Originally Posted by 0maha
By basing this on the dealer's asking price, you're setting yourself up to lose from the start.

Forget their number. It doesn't mean anything.

What's your number? What are you willing to spend? What's it worth to you?

If they're willing to sell at your price, you'll buy yourself a bike. If they aren't, you keep looking.

This pretty much sums it up. I just bought a bike from a dealer, it was the bike I wanted at a price I could live with. Could I have done better elsewhere, probably. This dealer treats me well and I’m good doing business there. Done deal and I’m happy. Good deals are relative to the person involved.

Quick Reply: Buying a used bike at a dealership