General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas is tryin to revamp helmet law........

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 10:16 AM
Ratbasturd
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Texas is tryin to revamp helmet law........

They are trying to change the helmet law in Texas call you Reps now and please be prepared to go to the public hearings. If they get this changed I bet loud pipes won't be far behind.
================================================== ===================
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodo...f/SB01368I.pdf

By: Carona

S.B. No. 1368

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED
AN ACT
relating to the protective headgear requirements for motorcycle operators and passengers.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. Sections 661.003(c) and (h), Transportation Code, are amended to read as follows:
(c) It is an exception to the application of Subsection (a) or (b) that at the time the offense was committed, the person required to wear protective headgear was at least 21 years old, and has successfully completed a motorcycle operator training and safety course under Chapter 662, and was covered by a health insurance plan providing the person with at least $150,000
not $10,000 in medical benefits for injuries incurred as a result of an accident while operating or riding on a motorcycle. A peace officer may not arrest a person or issue a citation to a person for a violation of Subsection (a) or (b) if the person required to wear protective headgear is at least 21 years of age, and presents evidence sufficient to show that the person required to wear protective headgear has successfully completed a motorcycle operator training and safety course, and or is covered by a health insurance plan as described by this subsection.
(h) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $500 $10 or more than $1,500 $50.
SECTION 2. Section 661.004, Transportation Code, is amended to read as follows:
Sec. 661.004. AUTHORITY OF PEACE OFFICER TO INSPECT PROTECTIVE HEADGEAR. Any peace officer may stop and detain:
(1) a person who is a motorcycle operator or passenger to inspect the person's protective headgear for compliance with the safety standards prescribed by the department; or
(2) a person who is a motorcycle operator or passenger who is not wearing protective headgear to inspect for sufficient evidence of compliance with Section 661.003(c).

SECTION 3. (a) The change in law made by this Act applies only to an offense committed on or after the effective date of this Act. For purposes of this section, an offense is committed before the effective date of this Act if any element of the offense occurs before this date.
(b) An offense committed before the effective date of this Act is covered by the law in effect when the offense was committed, and the former law is continued in effect for that purpose.
SECTION 4. This Act takes effect June 1, 2008.

================================================== ===================

Old 08-09-2007, 10:31 AM
bdgreen
Banned
Default RE: Texas is tryin to revamp helmet law........

If you have major medical % hospitalization from your employer, you're covered. Just carry the card with you and show it if asked. The kicker here is NO insurance card shows how much coverage you have. That information is available only by calling the insurance company.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:35 AM
wisemx
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you fellow Patriots feel about these hand-holding laws?

Personally it kicks me in the pants that anyone has the right to force me to wear a stinkin seatbelt.

Don't get me wrong, the insurance coverage side of this debate does make sense and I agree with that part.

I'm 45 and don't hold my hand out to anyone, don't I have a right to decide for myself?
Salute,
Mark Wisecarver

Old 08-09-2007, 10:36 AM
parakiller
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds exactly like the law that is on the books now....what has changed?

Old 08-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Ratbasturd
Road Master

That's the wrong attitude, sitting there thinking it won't happen or I'll get around it will just put the lid on the can.

If you can not show your coverage they can ticket you.
I just got a ticket yesterday for no helmet by 2 Travis county motorcycle units, I have PIP but it doesn't show it on my insurance card so now I have to present my policy with proof that there is at least $10,000 worth of coverage on me and it will be dropped.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:47 AM
Ratbasturd
Road Master

ORIGINAL: parakiller

sounds exactly like the law that is on the books now....what has changed?
Going from $10,000 coverage to not wear a helmet to $150,000, plus no longer OR take the safety course but AND take the course.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:57 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like they are upping the insurance minimum by a bunch, plus the fines also a bunch. But I'm no lawyer.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:57 AM
NorCalDyna
Cruiser

Sheesh...Texas. First they make it illegal to be drunk in a bar and now this!

Old 08-09-2007, 10:58 AM
parakiller
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

aaaahhhh ok i see. Personally I wear a helmet most times. It already has saved my life once. Also taking a motorcycle safety course is a good idea no matter how long you have been riding...but requireing 150,000 in insurance HOLY **** thats alot of money!

Old 08-09-2007, 11:01 AM
Ratbasturd
Road Master

ORIGINAL: NorCalDyna

Sheesh...Texas. First they make it illegal to be drunk in a bar and now this!
They stopped arresting people for that here in Austin for the most part, I think they grabbed the a guy with deep pockets and friends in high places.

Quick Reply: Texas is tryin to revamp helmet law........