General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas is tryin to revamp helmet law........

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Badpig521
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Texas is tryin to revamp helmet law........

ORIGINAL: fxst00

BadPig- I'm glad this bill didn't pass. It always amazes me the things they try to get passed.Like the organ doner thing. Although, I wouldn't mind a handsfree bill going up. But it probally wouldn't be enforced like it should be like the moving over or slowing down for emergncy vehicles on the side of the road. I have been watching that and don't ever see anyone do that. Do you see people doing that if you have someone pulled over?
Jeff
Well, I have not been in a patrol car for some time now (behind a desk getting fatter), but when Im out and about I do see people slow down or change lanes. Even with this law and I was still on patrol, I would definitely still be looking over my shoulder; furthermore, Im more occupied with the person/vehicle I stopped. What I didnt like is when people I am stopping did not pull to the right, instead they will just go to the left along the passing/travel lane leaving about 2 feet of room from traffic. That pissed me off and I would write a ticket for that.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:16 PM
Ratbasturd
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Badpig521

ORIGINAL: Ratbasturd

They are trying to change the helmet law in Texas call you Reps now and please be prepared to go to the public hearings. If they get this changed I bet loud pipes won't be far behind.
================================================== ===================
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodo...f/SB01368I.pdf

This bill did not pass!!!

This is the list of bills for this session...in case your bored

http://www.lrl.state.tx.us/legis/bil...searchProc.cfm
Cool, because all I could find was it was left in committee an I wasn't sure when the session was over.

However, just because it didn't pass this year doesn't mean it wont be back next.
If the Sen. has the right people pushing him or he has a personal agenda it will be back just under a different bill#.

When I was dealing with the legislators about 4x4's and rivers they kept coming back each year till they got it passed.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:02 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

That's the wrong attitude, sitting there thinking it won't happen or I'll get around it will just put the lid on the can.

If you can not show your coverage they can ticket you.
I just got a ticket yesterday for no helmet by 2 Travis county motorcycle units, I have PIP but it doesn't show it on my insurance card so now I have to present my policy with proof that there is at least $10,000 worth of coverage on me and it will be dropped.
With all due respect, but applying for, providing the appropriate information, and receiving the 'Helmet Exemption' sticker (all of $5.00) would have avoided such a situation and corresponding hassle(s). Having said sticker on your plate demonstrates that you havesubmitted the information required to the TxDPS, it has been verified,and that you are incompliance with the law. Just my .02.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Ratbasturd
Road Master

ORIGINAL: TxHarleyGuy2007

That's the wrong attitude, sitting there thinking it won't happen or I'll get around it will just put the lid on the can.

I just got a ticket yesterday for no helmet by 2 Travis county motorcycle units, I have PIP but it doesn't show it on my insurance card so now I have to present my policy with proof that there is at least $10,000 worth of coverage on me and it will be dropped.
With all due respect, but applying for, providing the appropriate information, and receiving the 'Helmet Exemption' sticker (all of $5.00) would have avoided such a situation and corresponding hassle(s). Having said sticker on your plate demonstrates that you havesubmitted the information required to the TxDPS, it has been verified,and that you are incompliance with the law. Just my .02.
I was not bitchin about the ticket, the law is the law. I already have and have had for awhile all that I need to get the sticker just haven't got around to it.

Besides, I had a good long chat with the officers after I got the ticket asking questions while they stood there sweating in their helmets and gear , we were in a nice sunny parking lot.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:35 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: TxHarleyGuy2007

I was not bitchin about the ticket, the law is the law. I already have and have had for awhile all that I need to get the sticker just haven't got around to it.

Besides, I had a good long chat with the officers after I got the ticket asking questions while they stood there sweating in their helmets and gear , we were in a nice sunny parking lot.
Yeah, I hear ya'. After being pulled over myself a few weeks back for the same thing, I figured I'd go ahead and get the sticker. I mean, what the helll? Sent my info in and receivedthe stickerback in no time flat. Guess it can't hurt to have it on the plate for those times when I happen to ride sans a lid.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:37 PM
Badpig521
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Badpig521

They are trying to change the helmet law in Texas call you Reps now and please be prepared to go to the public hearings. If they get this changed I bet loud pipes won't be far behind.
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodo...f/SB01368I.pdf

This bill did not pass!!!

This is the list of bills for this session...in case your bored

http://www.lrl.state.tx.us/legis/bil...searchProc.cfm
Cool, because all I could find was it was left in committee an I wasn't sure when the session was over.

However, just because it didn't pass this year doesn't mean it wont be back next.
If the Sen. has the right people pushing him or he has a personal agenda it will be back just under a different bill#.

When I was dealing with the legislators about 4x4's and rivers they kept coming back each year till they got it passed.

Yep,you have 2 more years to prepare for it.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:57 PM
shoptroll
Banned

Any time the government, Fed, State, or local, tries to do anything that's for "my own good" all I hear are two words - BEND OVER ! [:'(]

Old 08-09-2007, 05:21 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Is this a new law or a proposed new law? WTF. The Texas legislature is not in session and will not be for another (almost) two years. I do not think any laws relating to motorcycles passed in the last term of the Tx legislature. I could be wrong.

Oops. I had not read the previous post when I initially posted this. My question has been answered. Thanks.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:32 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Loud Helmets save lives.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:31 PM
Bleuknight
Cruiser

PA modified the helmet law! The battles never ends, on the table now is noise pollution!! a local mayor says you can have drag pipes and go thru his city, just don't bang on it and you'll be fine....it's called PERSONNEL RESPONSIBILITY.....but that is a fight..........I know this is not the political forum, but everyone needs to join their states ABATE or biker rights organization to help fight against governmental pressure. I sold my stock pipes and don't plan on buyer another set!!! In some cases, we are our own worst enemy!!!
ride smart, ride alot!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/38813/735AA38A712A4C1AA290D931A44397DD.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Texas is tryin to revamp helmet law........