General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas is tryin to revamp helmet law........

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 12:59 PM
miguel
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Texas is tryin to revamp helmet law........

ORIGINAL: TowJam

Well that puts you in the minority there skippy.
Dont believe me?
Next time your at a bike night or some other gathering look around and see how few people still have there stock pipes on there harleys.
The slack jawwed **** up in Denver already have passed some lame azzed law about pipes.
That dog wont hunt down here in texas
I smell troll. But I'll bite anyway...

Not everyone replaces their stock pipes with loud pipes. You are aware that there's a difference between throaty and loud. Right???? Riders with obnoxiously loudpipes arebringing unwanted attention to the rest of us - and as a native Texan, I can assure you that dog will hunt if push comes to shove.

LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES, not to be a cheese by quoteing a T-shirt but it works ,whenthey get a little to close I just give it a little rev and BOOMTHEY WAKE UP!!!!

Old 08-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Badpig521
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Ratbasturd

They are trying to change the helmet law in Texas call you Reps now and please be prepared to go to the public hearings. If they get this changed I bet loud pipes won't be far behind.
================================================== ===================
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodo...f/SB01368I.pdf

By: Carona

S.B. No. 1368

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED
AN ACT
relating to the protective headgear requirements for motorcycle operators and passengers.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. Sections 661.003(c) and (h), Transportation Code, are amended to read as follows:
(c) It is an exception to the application of Subsection (a) or (b) that at the time the offense was committed, the person required to wear protective headgear was at least 21 years old, and has successfully completed a motorcycle operator training and safety course under Chapter 662, and was covered by a health insurance plan providing the person with at least $150,000
not $10,000 in medical benefits for injuries incurred as a result of an accident while operating or riding on a motorcycle. A peace officer may not arrest a person or issue a citation to a person for a violation of Subsection (a) or (b) if the person required to wear protective headgear is at least 21 years of age, and presents evidence sufficient to show that the person required to wear protective headgear has successfully completed a motorcycle operator training and safety course, and or is covered by a health insurance plan as described by this subsection.
(h) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $500 $10 or more than $1,500 $50.
SECTION 2. Section 661.004, Transportation Code, is amended to read as follows:
Sec. 661.004. AUTHORITY OF PEACE OFFICER TO INSPECT PROTECTIVE HEADGEAR. Any peace officer may stop and detain:
(1) a person who is a motorcycle operator or passenger to inspect the person's protective headgear for compliance with the safety standards prescribed by the department; or
(2) a person who is a motorcycle operator or passenger who is not wearing protective headgear to inspect for sufficient evidence of compliance with Section 661.003(c).

SECTION 3. (a) The change in law made by this Act applies only to an offense committed on or after the effective date of this Act. For purposes of this section, an offense is committed before the effective date of this Act if any element of the offense occurs before this date.
(b) An offense committed before the effective date of this Act is covered by the law in effect when the offense was committed, and the former law is continued in effect for that purpose.
SECTION 4. This Act takes effect June 1, 2008.

================================================== ===================
This bill did not pass!!!

This is the list of bills for this session...in case your bored

http://www.lrl.state.tx.us/legis/bil...searchProc.cfm

Old 08-09-2007, 01:03 PM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: jamesanddiva

Why don't they initiate a law on cell phones. Then we wouldn't need helmets.
In Washington state there IS a law on Cell phones... can't talk on the cell without a hands free device, can't text message. HOWEVER, its a secondary offense... so, if you get pulled over for speeding, etc, they can ticket you for cell phone use. They took all the bite out of the law when they made it a secondary offense.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:25 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

I dont understand what the hell helmet laws have to do with loud pipes. I dont know about you guys, but around these parts there are plenty of CARS/TRUCKS with louder exhaust then my Big Radius pipes w/Thunder Monster's.......and I ain't even going to get started on the sound systems in some of these ricers. I do have to say that in NYC though the police (I am not sure if 100% of the units) have Db meter's and if the music is louder than a said db. level you will get a ticket.....I have yet to see/hear of any enforcement of this law though.
I went to a New Jersey State DMV inspection station this morning (not joe blow's MC shop) to have my new Deuce inspected. The guy who was inspecting the bike did not even ask me to start it.....he seemed way more concerned that I was using three small pieces ofduct tape on myfull face helmet that I said were definitely reflective(here in NJ you must have reflective tape on the left right & back of your helmet to pass) I promise, than the db.level of my pipes.....after all it is supposed to be a safety inspection.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:49 PM
fxst00
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the wrong attitude, sitting there thinking it won't happen or I'll get around it will just put the lid on the can.

If you can not show your coverage they can ticket you.
I just got a ticket yesterday for no helmet by 2 Travis county motorcycle units, I have PIP but it doesn't show it on my insurance card so now I have to present my policy with proof that there is at least $10,000 worth of coverage on me and it will be dropped.
Are you serious?
I would have been in more trouble. I have a problem with being honest and speaking my mind. Which suprisingly hasn't got me in to much hot water being pulled over. But I would have made several wise cracks that would have led to more tickets or something. If it was APD I would have turned my back to them and said " at least you won't shoot me in the back because I'm white" or asked "if it was a shootable offense" I have only seen one Travis county moto cop ever though.

I have several cops freinds and they are always surprised with how honest and sarcastic Iam with officers and not catch a night stick upside the head. They always tell me to be polite and shut up, but its hard. I once had to drive back to a cop to argue the speed limit that he said it was ( I was right) and he tore up the ticket with two other offenses on it(expired tags and regristrationalong with speeding still 9 over what the speed limit really was).

Old 08-09-2007, 01:53 PM
fxst00
Tourer

BadPig- I'm glad this bill didn't pass. It always amazes me the things they try to get passed.Like the organ doner thing. Although, I wouldn't mind a handsfree bill going up. But it probally wouldn't be enforced like it should be like the moving over or slowing down for emergncy vehicles on the side of the road. I have been watching that and don't ever see anyone do that. Do you see people doing that if you have someone pulled over?
Jeff

Old 08-09-2007, 01:53 PM
cadillac
Road Master

I believe first ALL states need to require vehicle owners to have validd insurance OR pay a huge uninsured motorist fee so when these folks driving cages with no ins, us law abiding folks dont get stuck with the bills... and higher ins costs cause of an accident that wasnt your fault to start with.

bob

dayum that was one loooong sentence.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:22 PM
fxst00
Tourer

were talking medical insurance to cover your hospital bills. Its one of the three requiremeants for not wearing a lid in the state of Texas.

You are suppose to have at least liabilty insurance for your vehicle, but since NOT MUCH can be done if you get hit someone who doesn't have money or legal status in this countrymany people don't carry insurance

But I agree 100% with what you said
Jeff

Old 08-09-2007, 02:33 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior

You are suppose to have at least liability insurance for your vehicle, but since NOT MUCH can be done if you get hit someone who doesn't have money or legal status in this countrymany people don't carry insurance
Depending on which North Texas city you have an accident in, you'll have your car impounded on the spot if you can't provide proof of liability insurance.Given the high number of illegals in this area, I wouldn't be surprised to see Texas Stadium turned into the world's largest (and fullest) impound lot once the Cowboys move to their new stadium. I"m only halfway kidding.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:34 PM
fxst00
Tourer

ORIGINAL: fxst00

That's the wrong attitude, sitting there thinking it won't happen or I'll get around it will just put the lid on the can.

If you can not show your coverage they can ticket you.
I just got a ticket yesterday for no helmet by 2 Travis county motorcycle units, I have PIP but it doesn't show it on my insurance card so now I have to present my policy with proof that there is at least $10,000 worth of coverage on me and it will be dropped.
Are you serious?
I would have been in more trouble. I have a problem with being honest and speaking my mind. Which suprisingly hasn't got me in to much hot water being pulled over. But I would have made several wise cracks that would have led to more tickets or something. If it was APD I would have turned my back to them and said " at least you won't shoot me in the back because I'm white" or asked "if it was a shootable offense"okay So I'm not that brave or stupid. [sm=gears.gif]I have only seen one Travis county moto cop ever though.

I have several cops freinds and they are always surprised with how honest and sarcastic Iam with officers and not catch a night stick upside the head. They always tell me to be polite and shut up, but its hard. I once had to drive back to a cop to argue the speed limit that he said it was ( I was right) and he tore up the ticket with two other offenses on it(expired tags and regristrationalong with speeding still 9 over what the speed limit really was).

Quick Reply: Texas is tryin to revamp helmet law........