General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire inflation, side of the road

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2021, 03:10 PM
Marsikus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4,898 Likes on 2,129 Posts

After several flat tires at home I used to carry a spare tube. Actually, only twice there were punctures. In most cases I did not carry a pump, because that was easy to ask someone nearby for pump, and pump does not help alone if you have a hole in the tube.

Now with tubeless Sportster I keep a simple mechanical foot operated pump. It is bulky automotive pump. Probably it's worth to put some smaller one, but I did not find any good, only some trashy and cheapo.

Old 11-13-2021, 03:25 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,984 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Used a foot pump a few times on road trips to fix tires, never had any luck with those little C02 gizmo's.

Old 11-13-2021, 08:20 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,569 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I carry the stop and go plug kit and air compressor.

https://www.stopngo.com/

Old 11-14-2021, 05:08 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

+1 on the pump.... BUT.... I have a powerport.

Old 11-14-2021, 05:41 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,729 Likes on 3,100 Posts

The problem with the pump is they usually take up too much precious space. So, what riders do is remove the plastic that surrounds the pump itself. Leaving only the pump/airline and power cord. Once all the plastic covering is removed, the pump itself isn't much more than a deck of cards.

Old 11-14-2021, 06:28 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,253 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Used a foot pump a few times on road trips to fix tires, never had any luck with those little C02 gizmo's.
A foot pump is no big deal for anyone that rides a kicker.

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (11-15-2021)
Old 11-15-2021, 09:48 AM
binarym
Tourer

Received 206 Likes on 122 Posts

Tire Inflator Rechargeable Handheld Air Compressor (150PSI), Mini Electric Air Pump 2500mAh with Digital Display LED Light, Rechargeable Lithium Battery for Car, Bicycle, ***** and Other Inflatables.
Brand: mimoday Brand: mimoday
Got one of these and actually used it in Oct of 2021 and it worked great.

Old 11-15-2021, 10:02 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 853 Likes on 643 Posts

For many years I have used a cheap 12volt air pump.
Basically removed the plastic cover from an inexpensive pump to reduce bulk.
Removed switch too.
I have used it myself and also used it to rescue others.
An inflator will allow multiple fill-ups.
One thing to keep in mind is that cheaper inflators use a screw on tip instead of an easier to use lever lock so an adapter might be a good idea..
The rubber plugs and bottle of slime helped too.
Got idea from link:
https://www.webbikeworld.com/mini-mo...tire-air-pump/

Old 11-15-2021, 10:34 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 853 Likes on 643 Posts

I have learned through many years of using smaller 12 volt inflators on multiple vehicles that units become very hot.
I think that is why many of them have large plastic cases.
Most seem to operate by having a small electric motor that spins a flywheel that then makes a small piston go up and down to suck and push air.
That creates a lot of heat.
That heat has a tendency to sometimes compromise the attachment point of hose to pump unit....basically melts hose and creates a leak.
Keep this in mind when reviewing units since I have repaired some just by cutting hose and then reattached hose using some stainless wire as a "clamp" at pump end.
The actual piston or ring on piston can melt too if over heated and then it is a throw away item.
It takes about 7-10 minutes to fully air one motorcycle tire and the unit then needs to cool down.
Unit will hold heat for a good 15 minutes.
I actually tell folks it is going to be a while when I have helped them....they are expecting gas station compressor speed...they all think a minute is a long time and want to stop to check several times making a 7-10 minute thing take much longer..
Leaving the motorcycle running helps to maintain the highest power possible and avoid run down of battery.
Once tire has some air then insertion of rubber plug if tubeless is easier (rescued several folks like that).
Tubeless riders were able to continue their ride with a rubber plug and later take bike to a service shop.
If tubed then it might take two tries to identify damage because if tire holds zero air then the Slime is not going to help and would just be a waste and you are looking at a tow.
With a tubed tire it is more about getting to a better area to call for a tow truck.
Calling for a friend, trailer, tow truck is sometimes possible and at times the only option but getting road worthy or to a better area in under 30 minutes is sometimes considered more comfortable then being on the side road.

Old 11-15-2021, 02:07 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,943 Likes on 4,698 Posts

Amazon Amazon
As a bonus it works as a power bank too.​​​​​​​

Quick Reply: Tire inflation, side of the road