General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

towing/trailering

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 07:37 AM
Bear64
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: towing/trailering

couple of ideas here to consider, go to the training and leve the bike behind, its only for 6 months, but I don't like the idea myself,[&o]as said trade in the car for a small truck, not to bad if you can aford it, then their is this idea and this is done a lot..hire somebody to drive the car, you ride the bike, all you have to do is buy the driver a ticket home. some youngsters would jump on the chanch to travel like that..I'm sure you will think of something.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:52 AM
jkirisits
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think i will definately look at that portachopper trailer, they are only a few miles north of me...

thanks!

Old 08-09-2007, 08:15 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

will you be leaving on a Thursday?

Old 08-09-2007, 08:22 AM
helixhippie
Road Master

Where you going from/to?

Old 08-09-2007, 08:32 AM
Edmo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this training for the military?

If so, you may be authorized to carry up to 600 lbs of personal household goods with you on this trip. If you move this 600 lbs yourself (DITY move) they will pay you90-100% of whatit would have cost if they hired a mover. Motorcycles are considered"household goods" and can be shipped and I bet your bike andanything you take with youwill easily weigh in over 600 lbs.

That will go a long way towards renting a U-Haul truck for the bike and car tow trailer for the car... Just a thought from a retired USAF Pilot.

Edmo

Old 08-09-2007, 08:44 AM
EZ2Rider
Road Master

Any advice here is anecdotal so here is mine......................................

We have dogs and use a 4-Runner to pull my Wells Cargo one bike trailer from NC to Fl. Twice a year. Yeah, I'd rather ride too but its more important to have TWO vehicles in Fl. and NC.

We bought a new V-8 4-Runner in 05 and decided to keep the 99 6cyl. Both have towing packages, 4WD, HD cooling, alternators, etc.

The six strains with the trailer and Roadglide in the back, along with household goods, etc. that we haul in there too.

The V8 makes it like there is nothing back there and I actually forget I have the trailer back there sometimes.

The six is safe, equipped to haul lots more than I do BUT be aware! A small car towing over 1K in total weight WILL HANDLE SQUIRRELLY, may have transmission problems and difficulty with overheating, especially when climbing a mountain or even hills.

I would NOT TOW with a vehicle not specifically equipped to do it. Not worth the chance of ruining your car OR having an accident and destroying your car, bike and body!!!!!!!!

For the expense involved, cheaper to SHIP the bike commercially.

EZ

Old 08-09-2007, 06:00 PM
jkirisits
Road Captain

i am in Indiana, could be going to Texas. The bike is a roadglide. I think getting a one way uhaul is my best bet.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:05 PM
WGRIDER
Ultimate HDF Member

I have a Aveo and it says car is not rated for any towing.
I would rent a truck for that trip.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:16 PM
kiltiemon
Outstanding HDF Member

My 20 year old Porsche will pull 2500 pounds of load according to the owner's manual... I've had easily 1,000 pounds on a 150 pound trailer and there is very little notice that it's back there! I wouldn't want to do a group session of hot laps at Moroso pulling a trailer, but it certainly is NOT a problem in normal driving. Car is 2.5 liters, 200 or so HP, front engine with 5 Speed Transaxle, Factory hitch! The wide glide on the trailer tows like a dream... no effort at all!

Go for it!

Jim aka kiltiemon (Lot of Porsche people, the full spectrum of the Marque, pull "track trailers" with a set or two of track wheels, tools, etc., behind thier car... go racing... anddrive the carback home the same way!!! Do your engineering homework... apply what you learn... and enjoy life!!!)

Old 08-09-2007, 06:28 PM
Drclev3
Road Master

Try renting a carto tow the trailerif you are able. I had a problem once and needed to tow my bike.I went to u-haul and they would not rent me a trailer because I have a Explorer and they wont let you hook up a trailed to one.So I had to go rent a car It was a Chevy Trail Blazer and it came with the tow hitch on it I had to buy a receiver and ball for itbut I was good to go then went to get the trailer Beats buying as new car J/K. Just a Thought.

Quick Reply: towing/trailering