General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bagger fairing on a Softail..

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007 | 09:50 PM
RandyNC
Tourer
Default RE: Bagger fairing on a Softail..

So whats wrong with being a bagger...

You will be better off with a clip on fairing...that way you can take it off when you want the sporty look.

Old 08-08-2007 | 10:04 PM
Bighorse
Road Captain

Why not? I had a 06 Softail Deluxe with a set of nice leather bags that looked good.

Old 08-08-2007 | 11:29 PM
Drelkor
Cruiser

You can try Jireh. They offer one that you can buy a detachable hardware for either a Softtail or another kit for Road Kings. It also has a radio caddy and a spot for 2 speakers. The fairing is a quick detach type. I think it was about $550 total for both the fairing and the detachable hardware kit. Usually get free shipping on orders over $75.

If you don't want a radio fairing,several companies make molded windshields that look like batwing fairings. They are open on the inside, but you'd be hard pressed to tell it wasn't a real batwing fairing on the outside from more than 5-10 feet. I saw a Road King Custom with one at Thunder Beach this spring and I could have sworn it was a Street Glide from a distance. I didn't know it wasn't until I walked right up on it (and behind the fairing) and noticed the fairing was hollow and then could see the bags were hard leather.

Drel

Old 08-09-2007 | 08:01 AM
michaelbarry
|
Banned

Well guys, I leaned my apes forward yesterday evening and lost the back pain i've been having. Evidently it was my seating position, as I had the apes pulled back (running on the same line as the forks). I tilted them quite a bit forward, and no more back pain! I think it may have been because I was leaned too far back, and was having to kind of hold myself up by the bars. Now I have to reach forward a little bit and that helped the problem.

Drelkor, if I were to get a fairing I wouldn't want a radio in it.

Old 08-09-2007 | 08:15 AM
UltraPassenger
Road Captain

There is a Deluxe around us that has one on it. I saw it again Saturday...next time I see it, I will try to get a pic. I think it looks sort of strange.

Old 08-09-2007 | 09:52 AM
michaelbarry
|
Banned

UltraPassenger, i've saw them on softails before. The ones like everyone is talking about, the quick detach. They don't look bad, IMO...looks like a bagger without bags and exposed shocks.

Old 08-09-2007 | 12:24 PM
Tommy Meisel
Tourer

Interesting that you moved your bars forward and lost your backache. I did the same thing. When I got my Heritage Classic I put the bars where they felt comfortable and as the Brits would say, "fell to hand". Half hour of riding and I had a backache. New LePera Monterey solo seat helped, but did not completely solve the problem. Just screwing around, I reset the bars to where I had to stretch just a bit to reach them. No more backaches since. I can ride now for hours, and the only thing that gets tired is my butt from sitting.
I often wonder how many people buy new seats when they could have solved their problem with a handle bar move or change?

Old 08-09-2007 | 01:34 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member

These guys used to make a fairing mount for softies, but have since quit doing it for some reason.

There are some pics of a black softail and a Red Heritage with bags and a batwing on this site.

http://www.mckayscyclecreations.com/

Old 08-09-2007 | 01:50 PM
x2lee
Banned

windshield really helps your back... How about a quick detachable WS?
ORIGINAL: michaelbarry

Well, the thing is..I absolutely hate the way my bike looks with a windshield on it, and I am doing a lot of freeway riding now and I think that mayyyybe that is contributing to some of the back pain i've been having lately, so I figured that I may try a fairing...I like the looks of a fairing a lot better than just a windshield. Maybe that's odd, who knows?..

Old 08-09-2007 | 03:16 PM
michaelbarry
|
Banned

ORIGINAL: Biggzed

These guys used to make a fairing mount for softies, but have since quit doing it for some reason.

There are some pics of a black softail and a Red Heritage with bags and a batwing on this site.

http://www.mckayscyclecreations.com/
Mannnn..that thing is SWEET. If that thing had a tank lift on it,it wouldlook amazing..