General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you use the H-D App?
No, I Don't Use the H-D App
75.00%
I Use the H-D App for Navigation
8.33%
I Use the H-D App for the Challenges
8.33%
I Use the H-D App for Both Navigation & Challenges
5.56%
I Use the H-D App for something else
2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Harley-Davidson App and Let's Ride 2021 Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 09:30 AM
Capt. Karnage
Novice
Received 31 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Harley-Davidson App and Let's Ride 2021 Challenge

So, how many forum users use the official Harley-Davidson App for IOS / Android?

I really like it myself. I try to participate in the challenges as much as possible. I don't ride quite as much as a lot of people in here, but it's a good motivator to get me out and riding as much as possible.

In particular, the current "Let's Ride 2021" challenge is really fascinating to me. I've been tracking the number of riders and miles in each challenge, and this one is blowing all the previous ones away. The challenges have been running since June 2018, I've had the app since before then, as I was a beta tester for the app, but never seen so many people or miles. Maybe it's because of the motorcycle giveaway they're doing. The challenge ends Thursday, but so far almost 15,000 people signed up for the challenge, racking up over 9.5 million miles The next highest number of riders was last year's "Let's Ride" Challenge with 8,922 and 3.7 million miles. Wonder if we can make it to 10 million? With only two days left, and being the middle of the week, I doubt it... but that would be pretty crazy. Would hope H-D would do something special about it, but they probably won't...

Old 09-28-2021, 06:09 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 3,207 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Nope,

Last time I played with the app I thought it sucked. I don't see any reason to use it. I also don't like their implementation of Android Auto either. And, my phone seemed to constantly connect and disconnect from the bike.

So I just have my phone powered off my phone mount and pair my Bluetooth headset to my phone.

I do use the Harley Ride Planner web site and download my routes to a USB stick and then to the bike.

Old 09-29-2021, 12:58 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,770 Likes on 2,020 Posts

There’s a Harley-Davidson app?

Old 09-29-2021, 05:56 PM
Capt. Karnage
Novice

The App's not perfect, but depending on how long ago anyone's tried to use it, it's been improved upon a lot. The big thing for me that I like is the Record a Ride option - I can record my trip and then if I want to do the same one again I can load it exactly as I took it, turn for turn. So if I had a shortcut (or a long, scenic cut - or just found something I wasn't expecting on the way) that doesn't normally get caught by a Navigation system, I can use it to follow and go back. I don't know of any other Nav software that does that. I also like the challenges. Like I said, gives me an "excuse" to go out and ride.

Old 09-29-2021, 06:37 PM
Brian15
Tourer
Received 300 Likes on 161 Posts

I voted yes, but there are conditions. I tried using it for a couple years, but there always seemed to be some sort of glitch with it - like the map I drew up on the computer didn't come up on the phone app as drawn, unexpected deviations from the planned route, etc. The only reason I look at it now is to plan a route in unfamiliar territory using the avoid unpaved roads option. Once I see where the app wants to go, I lay it out on another navigation app. Google Maps seems to be more reliable.

Old 09-29-2021, 08:24 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 3,207 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Karnage
The App's not perfect, but depending on how long ago anyone's tried to use it, it's been improved upon a lot. The big thing for me that I like is the Record a Ride option - I can record my trip and then if I want to do the same one again I can load it exactly as I took it, turn for turn. So if I had a shortcut (or a long, scenic cut - or just found something I wasn't expecting on the way) that doesn't normally get caught by a Navigation system, I can use it to follow and go back. I don't know of any other Nav software that does that. I also like the challenges. Like I said, gives me an "excuse" to go out and ride.
The GPS on my 2019 Ultra Classic will track rides.

So will Rever and I'm sure many other apps.

Old 09-29-2021, 08:52 PM
JatoTheRipper
Tourer
Received 190 Likes on 117 Posts

I installed it and opened it a few times. I keep forgetting to use it to add track mileage for the challenge.

The following users liked this post:
Capt. Karnage (09-30-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 05:06 PM
Capt. Karnage
Novice

Originally Posted by VAFish
The GPS on my 2019 Ultra Classic will track rides.

So will Rever and I'm sure many other apps.
Yes, the built in GPS does, but I don't have that luxury on my 883 .
My Livewire (sort of) has navigation, but it connects to the phone App for them, so have to use the app there, anyway.

I actually hadn't heard of Rever, good to know that's out there. Would love to hear about any other apps that do that. I hadn't come across any. I know Google Maps and IOs Maps do not, I haven't tried it, but don't think Waze does either (owned by Google now, anyway so only a matter of time before it merges with Google Maps, I'm sure).

Old 09-30-2021, 05:08 PM
Capt. Karnage
Novice

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper
I installed it and opened it a few times. I keep forgetting to use it to add track mileage for the challenge.
Yeah, when I first start using it I kept forgetting, too lots of miles not counted. Pretty much habit now.

Old 09-30-2021, 07:14 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

Never heard of Let’s Ride 2021.

Quick Reply: Harley-Davidson App and Let's Ride 2021 Challenge