Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Harley Dealers Marking Up New Bikes Over MSRP

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 12:29 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,673 Likes on 1,663 Posts

I can't help but think this is all a sucker's game.

We measure the quality of a deal against MSRP...a number they set.

The following 7 users liked this post by 0maha:
-Boogieman- (09-23-2021), 6113_ (09-23-2021), Crispy (09-23-2021), gonemad (09-23-2021), Old Iron Man (09-24-2021), Tired (09-26-2021), tngarren (09-24-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-23-2021, 12:33 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,878 Likes on 17,363 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha

All manufacturers of goods and providers of service set their prices/rates. Would you prefer the government dictate what you can charge for the products/services you provide?

The following users liked this post:
JatoTheRipper (09-23-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 12:35 PM
JatoTheRipper
Tourer
Received 190 Likes on 117 Posts

Well who else should set the price of a product that they manufacture? I mean it wouldn't be fair for you to set the price. Businesses wouldn't last long if consumers set the price.

Old 09-23-2021, 12:49 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

It's not just new but used as well. I tried to purchase a used bike at Sacramento Harley and told them that the selling price is 2k over MSRP. I was trying to buy a used KLX230 they had and the MSRP on that was 4599. They tired to sell it to me for 6700 OTD. I told the sales manager that the MSRP on that is 4599. After I left they said they reduced to to 6000. I was ok... thanks

Old 09-23-2021, 01:08 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,673 Likes on 1,663 Posts

Originally Posted by OKMICK
All manufacturers of goods and providers of service set their prices/rates. Would you prefer the government dictate what you can charge for the products/services you provide?
Who said anything about the government?

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper
Well who else should set the price of a product that they manufacture? I mean it wouldn't be fair for you to set the price. Businesses wouldn't last long if consumers set the price.
You don't think consumers set prices? The whole point of this thread is that consumers set prices.

My objection is when consumers measure their price against the manufacturer's MSRP.

I don't think MSRP means anything. I think it is a fiction, created by manufacturers, carefully engineered to extract as much $$$ as they can from consumers.

Here's one way to look at it. Let's say you're looking for a used car. Something common like an Accord.

You know that based on miles/year for the one you want, it's a $10k car, more or less.

Now, suppose you see an ad where some guy is asking $15k. You decide to go look anyway. You tell him "I like the car, but not your price. I'll give you $10k." He accepts.

Suppose you see another ad where some sweet old lady is asking $5k. You go look at it, and tell her "I can't buy it from you for $5k. It's worth more than that. I'll give you $10k." She accepts.

Same car. Same price. But the "compare myself to MSRP" approach says one is a great deal and the other is a terrible deal.

That's the problem with measuring against MSRP.

tngarren (09-24-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 01:19 PM
JatoTheRipper
Tourer

Who said anything about the government?

You don't think consumers set prices? The whole point of this thread is that consumers set prices.

My objection is when consumers measure their price against the manufacturer's MSRP.

I don't think MSRP means anything. I think it is a fiction, created by manufacturers, carefully engineered to extract as much $$$ as they can from consumers.

Here's one way to look at it. Let's say you're looking for a used car. Something common like an Accord.

You know that based on miles/year for the one you want, it's a $10k car, more or less.

Now, suppose you see an ad where some guy is asking $15k. You decide to go look anyway. You tell him "I like the car, but not your price. I'll give you $10k." He accepts.

Suppose you see another ad where some sweet old lady is asking $5k. You go look at it, and tell her "I can't buy it from you for $5k. It's worth more than that. I'll give you $10k." She accepts.

Same car. Same price. But the "compare myself to MSRP" approach says one is a great deal and the other is a terrible deal.

That's the problem with measuring against MSRP.
I see your point, but...

We can influence prices as consumers. By not buying items we can get companies to lower prices just like we can raise prices by buying more of something than a company can manufacture, but that's typical supply and demand. I wouldn't call that setting prices though. That's more influencing prices.

Old 09-23-2021, 02:45 PM
propflux01
Road Master

Received 272 Likes on 174 Posts

What’s funny though, is walking into a dealer, there is hardly anything there. You’d think they’d be killing to make a deal, as one could pretty much shop anywhere.

I know my new motorcycle purchase itch went away real quick when I saw a 2020 ultra limited that I really liked, with 4500 miles on it, for $32995. Sorry, I dont need a bike, like I would a car.

i don’t know, maybe I’m asking too much for what I consider a reasonable deal.

Old 09-23-2021, 02:48 PM
JatoTheRipper
Tourer

Originally Posted by propflux01
What’s funny though, is walking into a dealer, there is hardly anything there. You’d think they’d be killing to make a deal, as one could pretty much shop anywhere.

I know my new motorcycle purchase itch went away real quick when I saw a 2020 ultra limited that I really liked, with 4500 miles on it, for $32995. Sorry, I dont need a bike, like I would a car.

i don’t know, maybe I’m asking too much for what I consider a reasonable deal.
Is any new Harley really reasonably priced though? I always said I'd never buy a Ducati because they were overpriced even though I love them. Then I went and bought a used Fat Bob for Ducati money.

The following 3 users liked this post by JatoTheRipper:
Redbeard (10-07-2021), tngarren (09-24-2021), Yamaharley (09-24-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 03:24 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,789 Likes on 1,352 Posts

I've seen enough dealers go under in tough times to begrudge them the chance to make some money when times are good. However, I draw the line when dealers try to gouge buyers (some not so well informed), thats shady business as far as Im concerned. I've bought approx 30 bikes over 43 years of riding and never paid over msrp plus reasonable freight/prep fees. In a few instances, usually in winter I've done better than that. A friend of mine who works at a harley dealership recently told me they are selling about 30% fewer bikes due to supply constraints but making significantly more on every bike they sell so the entire operation is more profitable. I would say the new MoCo strategy seems to be working. Even the used harley touring bike pricing is higher across the board.

The following 2 users liked this post by kojak:
JatoTheRipper (09-23-2021), tngarren (09-24-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 03:41 PM
Guzzer
Tourer
Received 880 Likes on 300 Posts

There are two old sayings , " What the market will bear", and "anything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it ." Right now Harley is in the sweet spot . But I can promise this too shall pass and Harley is in for some real financial upheaval in the very near future , like so many American companies will be if we continue down this current economic path .

Quick Reply: More Harley Dealers Marking Up New Bikes Over MSRP