General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Harley Dealers Marking Up New Bikes Over MSRP

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2021 | 09:25 AM
RET_SCPO
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Crispy
I bought a new bike 3 weeks ago. Went to 3 dealers. All of them were happy to remove the surcharge and let me pay MSRP. The dealer I bought from even threw in $1k in parts to win my business over the other two. I highly doubt many dealers are going to let you walk over the surcharge. The demand isn't as high as they'd have you think. They're clearly able to still make money without the surcharge, and even under MSRP.
. Sounds like you did well. I never negotiate off the price the dealer has advertised on the showroom floor. I use the MSRP from H-D and already know how much I'm willing to pay out the door before stepping foot in a dealership to make a purchase. Either we come to an agreement or not. I was able to purchase my 2020 last year for a few thousand out the door below the MSRP listed on the HD website. On the paperwork it shows the dealers "asking" price as the starting point minus a nice big discount. Bottom line is neither the dealer or the customer is forced into an agreement that isn't fair to either party. I agree with you. The demand probably isn't as high as they try and make everyone believe. Can't blame them for trying though, lots of suckers out there.

The following users liked this post:
Crispy (09-23-2021)
Old 09-23-2021 | 10:02 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member

Local large chain car dealership here is upping price $2-3k over msrp for any Ford or GMC/Chevy truck

I guess you can when you only have like a dozen total

Old 09-23-2021 | 10:20 AM
guarddan
Cruiser

I just bought a 2021 CVO Limited from a dealer here in Florida who originally wanted 6k over msrp for $200 under msrp. They also put on a set of 12" bars, a cb, and a few other swap overs as part of the deal and gave me a great trade in on my bike. Anyone who is paying over msrp for a CVO or any Harley really needs to do there homework and shop around and NOT do it. You will find dealers that will sell at or slightly below msrp.

Old 09-23-2021 | 10:34 AM
JatoTheRipper
Tourer

I bought a new bike 3 weeks ago. Went to 3 dealers. All of them were happy to remove the surcharge and let me pay MSRP. The dealer I bought from even threw in $1k in parts to win my business over the other two. I highly doubt many dealers are going to let you walk over the surcharge. The demand isn't as high as they'd have you think. They're clearly able to still make money without the surcharge, and even under MSRP.
Kinda hard to believe given how in-demand motorcycles are right now coupled with the fact that supply is very low. Some dealers can't even get inventory. Where do you live?

Old 09-23-2021 | 11:10 AM
Crispy
Tourer

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper
Kinda hard to believe given how in-demand motorcycles are right now coupled with the fact that supply is very low. Some dealers can't even get inventory. Where do you live?
Okay, believe it or not. Houston, TX area. There are at least 7 dealers in the area. Maybe if you live somewhere without any competition it's harder to get a deal.

What I find hard to believe is people can't get a deal at MSRP or lower. Negotiate better.

s-glide76 (09-23-2021)
Old 09-23-2021 | 11:42 AM
JatoTheRipper
Tourer

Okay, believe it or not. Houston, TX area. There are at least 7 dealers in the area. Maybe if you live somewhere without any competition it's harder to get a deal.

What I find hard to believe is people can't get a deal at MSRP or lower. Negotiate better.
MSRP yes. Lower than MSRP? Bwahaha! This is Harley we;re talking about. If you got your bike for less than MSRP in a time when supply is low and demand is high I want to see it. Unless maybe you're talking about the FXDR or Livewire or some other bike like that with little to no demand.

Old 09-23-2021 | 12:02 PM
Crispy
Tourer

MSRP yes. Lower than MSRP? Bwahaha! This is Harley we;re talking about. If you got your bike for less than MSRP in a time when supply is low and demand is high I want to see it. Unless maybe you're talking about the FXDR or Livewire or some other bike like that with little to no demand.
I paid MSRP and tax, and they threw in $950 in parts. I call that under MSRP. Call it what you want. I'm not making some wild claim lol. Many people are getting MSRP, and lower. Call Kevin at Kingwood Harley Davidson, or Mark, the sales manager. Let them know Chris is making some insane wild claims about the deal on his 2021 Street Bob, and that you are calling to set the record straight. Let me know how it goes. Your proof is a phone call away 🙄

And this wasn't a bike they had no demand for. I had to take the next one they had coming in, which was a month wait.

Last edited by Crispy; 09-23-2021 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-23-2021 | 12:09 PM
JatoTheRipper
Tourer

I paid MSRP and tax, and they threw in $950 in parts. I call that under MSRP. Call it what you want. I'm not making some wild claim lol. Many people are getting MSRP, and lower. Call Kevin at Kingwood Harley Davidson, or Mark, the sales manager. Let them know Chris is making some insane wild claims about the deal on his 2021 Street Bob, and that you are calling to set the record straight. Let me know how it goes. Your proof is a phone call away 🙄
I'm not going to call someone to prove or disprove what some random on the internet said! Haha! I take your word for it. If you really wanted to lie about a deal on the internet you aren't fooling me. You'd be fooling yourself.

You paid MSRP. Those throw in deals are much easier for them to make happen and on the books you didn't pay under MSRP.

I'm sure the area has a lot to do with pricing as I hinted at earlier.

Old 09-23-2021 | 12:15 PM
Crispy
Tourer

I'm not going to call someone to prove or disprove what some random on the internet said! Haha! I take your word for it. If you really wanted to lie about a deal on the internet you aren't fooling me. You'd be fooling yourself.

You paid MSRP. Those throw in deals are much easier for them to make happen and on the books you didn't pay under MSRP.

I'm sure the area has a lot to do with pricing as I hinted at earlier.
I could care less what those parts cost them, how they do their books. They would have cost me $950 and that's how much under I paid under MSRP. Anyways the whole point was I laughed at their surcharge, they never mentioned it again and I didn't pay it. If you think you have to pay the surcharge, you're a bad negotiator or you need to go to a different dealer. The surcharge is for idiots who won't speak up or walk out. Simple as that.

s-glide76 (09-23-2021)
Old 09-23-2021 | 12:18 PM
JatoTheRipper
Tourer

I could care less what those parts cost them, how they do their books. They would have cost me $950 and that's how much under I paid under MSRP. Anyways the whole point was I laughed at their surcharge, they never mentioned it again and I didn't pay it. If you think you have to pay the surcharge, you're a bad negotiator or you need to go to a different dealer. The surcharge is for idiots who won't speak up or walk out. Simple as that.
I get how you feel and I agree you got a good deal. I agree with you 100%. There are plenty of fees you can get removed if you just walk away. They'll call the next day with a better price unless they sell the bike before then. People that don't do any negotiating on vehicle sales are robbing themselves.

Crispy (09-23-2021)

Quick Reply: More Harley Dealers Marking Up New Bikes Over MSRP