General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rolling tool box

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2021, 08:22 AM
Oko
Club Member
Received 4,269 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by rigidthumper
I've had this one for over a decade.

Okay, now that's just showing off!
Madonna mia!

The following users liked this post:
rigidthumper (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 11:03 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,087 Likes on 3,646 Posts

do you use Synthetic oil in that engine or Dino?

The following 3 users liked this post by Notgrownup:
2K10FBLO (09-03-2021), Ironworker69 (09-02-2021), Teknition (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 12:27 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 801 Posts

I have all tool truck brand tools, but a POS Husky box in the garage. It doesn't move but its still a POS. A few years ago I moved all the craftsman tools out, gave them to my son, and moved in SO,Mac, and Matco. I have SO impacts and a SO screw gun. Most of these tools were bought on garage journal website. Some new some close to new. It was a major expense but well worth it.
Now saving for a legit box

When Ivan was approaching us years ago, I went to HF to get a hammer drill. Need to drill holes in the brick to hang plywood on the house. Less then 10 holes in the POS stopped hammering. I beat that thing with a 4lb mall until nothing it yelled uncle. That was the last time I have ever bought anything from them. I wont even buy shop rags there.

I have a given talent if I buy cheap I end up going back and getting what I should have got the first time.

Old 09-02-2021, 02:26 PM
603Hog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,157 Likes on 1,507 Posts

Originally Posted by Teknition
There are a many reasons that we buy Snap-on tools/boxes.
1) Some of us are professional mechanics and we are in and out of those drawers 1000 times a day.
2) Harbor freight, home depot, craftsman, etc. doesn't drive in to my shop and repair/exchange broken tools.
3) Snap on drawer slides are guaranteed for life. If the wear out/bind up/break...snap on will hand you a new set.
4) If I put the weight load on a Husky or other brand name box drawer that I have in some of my drawers, they would most likely fold like a pretzel.
5) I can stand in my larger lower drawers...try that on your husky box and let me know how you make out.
6) Better selection of tool boxes. Find this one at harbor freight.

Exactly this. My father has been wrenching since before he had a driver’s license. From the late 60’s through the 80’s, he worked at various dealerships, before starting his own auto repair business in the very early 90’s. He is retired now, but still wrenches on old iron for friends and friend’s of friends. He bought a Snap On roll cab in the mid 80’s. Still has it in his garage today. Some of those bottom drawers must weigh 100 pounds or more. I can’t imagine the sheer number of times those drawers have been opened and closed over the years. And the drawer slides are still original. Just recently has the top drawer with all the sockets, ratchets, and extensions, in both metric and standard, started to stick a little on the left drawer slide. I’m sure Snap On will give him a pair of slides for that drawer if he ever asks them.
So, for professional wrenchers, I can see the value of purchasing such an expensive box. But for wannabe “shade tree mechanics” like myself, a Husky or General toolbox will probably be more than sufficient. I will never be a fraction of the wrencher that my father is, and I don’t do it for a living, so when I buy a new box sometime later this year, it will be one of the big box store brands. I desperately need to consolidate and organize my tools all in one place!

Old 09-02-2021, 02:31 PM
Dehammer
Elite HDF Member
Received 2,667 Likes on 1,348 Posts

I've always used Kennedy toolboxes but I'm just a lowly machinist.

They are made in the USA and very nice quality.

rigidthumper (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 02:52 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,811 Likes on 19,319 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Cumulative price tag on all that was probably what I paid for my 17 Road King new....
Easily !!

Old 09-02-2021, 02:53 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

deleted

Last edited by Uncle Larry; 09-02-2021 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-02-2021, 02:57 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by eaglefan1
I have all tool truck brand tools, but a POS Husky box in the garage. It doesn't move but its still a POS. A few years ago I moved all the craftsman tools out, gave them to my son, and moved in SO,Mac, and Matco. I have SO impacts and a SO screw gun. Most of these tools were bought on garage journal website. Some new some close to new. It was a major expense but well worth it.
Now saving for a legit box

When Ivan was approaching us years ago, I went to HF to get a hammer drill. Need to drill holes in the brick to hang plywood on the house. Less then 10 holes in the POS stopped hammering. I beat that thing with a 4lb mall until nothing it yelled uncle. That was the last time I have ever bought anything from them. I wont even buy shop rags there.

I have a given talent if I buy cheap I end up going back and getting what I should have got the first time.
Hey ... Easy on the Uncle comments :<(

eaglefan1 (09-03-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 03:10 PM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,843 Likes on 957 Posts

HOLY TOOL BOX **** that thing is magnificent!
Dare I ask what something like that cost? Probably more than my FXFBS for sure!

Old 09-02-2021, 03:39 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 345 Posts

As I'm not a professional mechanic or a regular mechanic 😀, I went with the HF General top and lower on wheels as it was narrow and got it for $229 with coupon. Probably need a bigger one now. 😆

Quick Reply: Rolling tool box