Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rolling tool box

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 05:56 PM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,294 Likes on 6,038 Posts

I have Snap-On top and bottom unit. Of course they are "only" 45 years old. I did by a General tool box from Harbor Freight earlier this year. Needed a bit of extra storage for bike tools and other misc specialty tools. Do you move your box around alot or does it sit off to the side of your shop? If you move it around alot, that creates a bit of stress. If so, I would look for a heavier duty box. And the Craigs List or Market Place are couple of good places to check. Good luck!

Old 09-01-2021, 06:02 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,265 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
The General tool chests from Harbor freight are really nice and rated really good. I know there will be haters… or look at Craigslist or Marketplace.
Beat me to it. I've heard good things about HF tool boxes. I've looked them over. I like the color selection. I'm a little skittish about the depth of the drawers. I like deeper drawers.

carl

Old 09-01-2021, 06:40 PM
Paintslinger16
Road Warrior
Received 1,896 Likes on 818 Posts

I bought the HF General two years ago, really solid box, my top is a mess, actually going to clean it up tomorrow.
good select of drawers, it’s completely full and it moves easily

The following users liked this post:
RET_SCPO (09-02-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 06:40 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,060 Likes on 3,627 Posts

I have 2 hospital type med carts they were throwing out at work. And a 5’tall Homak I won in a contes and a small 4’tall iwon 2 of.

Old 09-01-2021, 07:27 PM
Rustyg500
Road Captain
Received 213 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
The General tool chests from Harbor freight are really nice and rated really good. I know there will be haters… or look at Craigslist or Marketplace.
The Harbor freight General tool box has served me well over the last 10 years. Roller bearing drawers, casters, locks, recessed top for additional drawers. and Reasonable price

Old 09-01-2021, 08:04 PM
Teknition
Advanced
Received 107 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Calif Fat Bob
I have a 61" Husky Professional version. I bought it used on Craigslist for $500. Super stout. I never understand why some spend on Snap-on or other higher end.

This is my box
Husky Cabinet
There are a many reasons that we buy Snap-on tools/boxes.
1) Some of us are professional mechanics and we are in and out of those drawers 1000 times a day.
2) Harbor freight, home depot, craftsman, etc. doesn't drive in to my shop and repair/exchange broken tools.
3) Snap on drawer slides are guaranteed for life. If the wear out/bind up/break...snap on will hand you a new set.
4) If I put the weight load on a Husky or other brand name box drawer that I have in some of my drawers, they would most likely fold like a pretzel.
5) I can stand in my larger lower drawers...try that on your husky box and let me know how you make out.
6) Better selection of tool boxes. Find this one at harbor freight.

The following 10 users liked this post by Teknition:
2K10FBLO (09-03-2021), byrdman.45 (09-02-2021), Campy Roadie (09-02-2021), eaglefan1 (09-02-2021), jellopis (09-03-2021), jockotwin (09-02-2021), Kawickrice (09-03-2021), Marty33 (09-10-2021), NorthWestern (09-01-2021), RET_SCPO (09-02-2021) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-01-2021, 08:20 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,139 Likes on 3,341 Posts

Originally Posted by Teknition
1) Some of us are professional mechanics and we are in and out of those drawers 1000 times a day.
2) Harbor freight, home depot, craftsman, etc. doesn't drive in to my shop and repair/exchange broken tools.
3) Snap on drawer slides are guaranteed for life. If the wear out/bind up/break...snap on will hand you a new set.
4) If I put the weight load on a Husky or other brand name box drawer that I have in some of my drawers, they would most likely fold like a pretzel.
5) I can stand in my larger lower drawers...try that on your husky box and let me know how you make out.
Yep. My Snap-On boxes are in my garage, now. But I remember that first year (of 20) wrenching for a living, and trying to make that Waterloo box work. Waterloo is a good box, but the slides, and all the traveling I did around that massive truck shop I worked in, just destroyed that box.

If you didn't do it for a living, you just don't know.

Old 09-01-2021, 08:24 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,637 Likes on 1,256 Posts

Facebook marketplace is a good place to shop too .

Old 09-01-2021, 08:31 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,965 Likes on 17,891 Posts

Originally Posted by Teknition

Cumulative price tag on all that was probably what I paid for my 17 Road King new....

The following 2 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
Architect (09-03-2021), s-glide76 (09-03-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 08:47 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,449 Likes on 2,693 Posts

Originally Posted by Calif Fat Bob
I have a 61" Husky Professional version. I bought it used on Craigslist for $500. Super stout. I never understand why some spend on Snap-on or other higher end.

This is my box
Husky Cabinet
I've heard comments like that over the years and I'll tell you my experience. I have snap on tools, been a mechanic for 36 years and have my own restoration shop. I have craftsmen, proto, the odd sk etc in my house garage because for the most part they do what I need them to do and Im not going to have duplicate snap on tools due to cost. They sure dont feel as nice in the hand as a snap on anything but they undo stuff most times. There are occasions where that craftsman socket wall is too thick to fit into a tight spot, there are times that chubby craftsman wrench wont slide into a location to undo that tough to get to nut or bolt. I've lost track how many times I've had a craftsman tool fail to do the job so I walk down to my shop behind the house to get the snap on version and get the job done. If a professional filled his tool box with tools less than snap on or Mac they would find themselves constantly borrowing tools from the mechanic in the bay next to them. They would soon see the light.

The following 2 users liked this post by hellonewman:
eaglefan1 (09-02-2021), Ironworker69 (09-02-2021)

Quick Reply: Rolling tool box